[PUG] - Political Correctness | INFJ Forum

[PUG] Political Correctness

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Quinlan, Feb 11, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
More threads by Quinlan
  1. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    What is it?

Has it gone mad?

Is it just a label for arbitrary things that bother people?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    WellNoWonder likes this.
  2. Billy

Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    I dont like PC anymore... I stopped liking it when they started legislating it. It was fine when it was a form of self censorship to spare peoples feelings, now its a beast, and its just plain ole censorship.

3. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Political correctness is in place, because there are some topics, ideas, and phrases that are intrinsicly offensive.

I certainly think that many things have taken political correctness too far, an example is removing "god" from the pledge of allegance. While I do not agree with it being there, the fact that people want it removed because it could "offend" people is just rediciulous. If it offends you, then just ignore it, it does not directly cause any harm to anyone. Yet, I think it is good for people to pratice politcal correctness. Out of keeping the peace in a sense.

That being said, I am a very politically correct person. I am this way mostly because I feel it is the fairest thing to do. Others could become offended. Regardless if I would or not, I take it as my resonsibillity to inusre that others are. Just because I am not offended, does not mean others will be. Again whether or not I agree with their rationalle.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 IndigoSensor, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  4. Norton

Norton XXXX

Threads:
    MBTI:
    XXXX
    Enneagram:
    XXXX
    Whatever political correctness is, it seems in conflict with "free speech."

5. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

Political Correctness is only for Politicians.

There was never a politician more politically correct than ENTP Prime Minister of Australia, Paul Keating.

That's political correctness.

6. Norton

Norton XXXX

Threads:
    MBTI:
    XXXX
    Enneagram:
    XXXX
    So, what's Keating up to these days?

7. Krumplenump

Krumplenump Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    Political correctness has gone mad, yes.

8. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

He's in retirement at the moment.

Politicans retire on a lot of money, PMs retire on about 300,000 a year.

9. On my own path

On my own path Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ProbablyINFJ
    Political Correctness can be defined as the replacement of terms that are typically used in a pejorative or offensive manner - or carry insulting connotations- with terms that have less of a likelihood to offend someone.

Personally, political correctness does not seem like a negative thing when used "properly". There are some terms that indeed carry offensive subtext, especially with regards to the history of the treatment of certain groups. For example I agree with using gender neutral terms when referring to the general population due to negative connotations I see that can be associated with using non gender neutral terms.

It can indeed go " overboard", I suppose; although I cannot draw upon any examples currently.

I also agree with IndigoSensor's stance- that he mentioned in the closing paragraph of his post; that political correctness is useful to observe to lessen the chances of offending someone.

10. DefectiveCreative

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5 so/sx
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWV1ryY8sXE"]YouTube- Becker S01E10 P C World chunk 3[/ame]

11. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

You can't find any examples? What about "African-Americans"?

I did a few classes with a white guy from South Africa, his brother moved to Canada and got citizenship. Technically he's an African American. However, apparently only black people get use of that term. Also, you're only an "All American" if your descent is from England or Scotland. Anywhere else and you seem to put your nation of descent before the "American", as if they're second class citizens.

12. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    Tact on crack

Yes and no, when it gets out of control as to prevent anyone and every one from being offended (and in doing so offending some one in the process some how). Then it has gone mad

A label yes, arbitrary probably not.

13. OP
    Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Where I live I most commonly hear the term used whenever someone takes into account how someone else may feel about things (empathy, compassion, understanding, sympathy etc.) or even just voicing a nuanced or subtle understanding of an issue rather than pure black and white, it is then derided as "too PC".

14. TheLastMohican

TheLastMohican Captain Obvious
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    Type me.
    Political correctness is bad enough in its hypervigilant form, but worst when it comes to the "enforcement." The routine is utter rubbish: a person says something that is construed by someone else as offensive (with little regard to whether the speaker meant or was even previously aware of the offensive connotations), there are loud complaints, the media descend upon the case in search of high ratings, and eventually the speaker either loses shis job, or pretends to be profoundly humbled and contrite, meeting with advocacy groups to plead for forgiveness (perhaps losing shis job anyway, but in any case retaining the scarlet letter for a good long while).
    It's a big show of huffiness and regret (occasionally with on-camera sobbing for good measure) that ultimately solves nothing.

15. slant

slant Sedated slanty

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Infp
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Go be politically correct in your own god damned country, you, CANADIAN!