Please read all, did this ruin my diet?

Jemshads

One
Mar 29, 2012
MBTI
na
Enneagram
na
I started a week ago on Sunday and did really good and lost five pounds so far. Today I ate my normal healthy breakfast but a couple hours later my step dad bought me an ice cream cone and I didn't want to eat it but I had no choice but to since he already spent the money. I was still hungry while we were there and there was no healthy options so I also had a shredded chicken sandwhich and three deep fried pickle spears as a side. I have drank nothing but water all day and the skim milk I had with my breakfast and don't plan on having anymore high calorie foods. That's all I ate so far today and I might not eat anything else since it was so high calorie. I walked for about an hour to burn it off. Did this meal ruin my diet or will it keep me from earning the body I've been working for? :( (abs) please let me know thankyou so much.

One felled leaf does not kill a tree.
Continue being conscious of your
food and you will be fine. Occasional
indulgence is psychologically healthy,
I would think, as long as it's in moderation.

Nope, not falling for this again...

Trolls be trolling, eh Jems?

Last edited:
Obsessing will set you up for failure.

I started a week ago on Sunday and did really good and lost five pounds so far. Today I ate my normal healthy breakfast but a couple hours later my step dad bought me an ice cream cone and I didn't want to eat it but I had no choice but to since he already spent the money. I was still hungry while we were there and there was no healthy options so I also had a shredded chicken sandwhich and three deep fried pickle spears as a side. I have drank nothing but water all day and the skim milk I had with my breakfast and don't plan on having anymore high calorie foods. That's all I ate so far today and I might not eat anything else since it was so high calorie. I walked for about an hour to burn it off. Did this meal ruin my diet or will it keep me from earning the body I've been working for? :( (abs) please let me know thankyou so much.

it takes roughly 3500 excess calories to add one pound to your weight.
i seriously doubt you ate that many excess calories, especially if you exercised afterward.
don't beat yourself up over a diet hun.
if you fall off the wagon just start again tomorrow. rome wasn't built in a day as they say

As others have said, one little fall off may set you back slightly, but it's no where near the end of the world unless you decide to give up. I find it's really important to keep track of your calories very specifically, it really helps you see where you are at.

By the way, for whatever it's worth, you might see some water-weight gained temporarily, pickles are super-high in salt to start with even without batter and frying.

Reactions: Bird
No, it's a mindset though,you could have eaten just the chicken no bun etc, in the future. One meal is fine though :) as my dieting rule, I eat out on Thursday's and Saturday's, my two days off. But I only get water and always try to get a small size. I also work out 5-6 times a week, for 45-90 mins, no set schedule. I've lost around 30 lbs or so since mid January. The only thing to glean from this post is this, everything is fine in moderation. But a good healthy water intake and excersuze routine really help make up for the oops days.

Reactions: hk427f3
What's your health goal? Have you calculated your calorie deficit or do you know your body type?

Since you already ate ice cream, you might want to try some sundae, spare ribs and cake. I don't know if it'd ruin your diet, but it certainly wouldn't ruin your appetite.

I like this diet right here:

[video=youtube_share;qE7G5p2xbHI]http://youtu.be/qE7G5p2xbHI[/video]

Obviously, it's the healthy choice.

Ruin is a strong word to use. I would like to point out some reasonable conclusions one
could reach without having a vast knowledge of exercise and physiology.

a) You lost five pounds in a week.
b) One day you ate roughly 1800 calories for dinner
--we're giving you some breathing room here. ie:
that's probably not a total of 1800

Does this ruin your diet? No.
It does however make you a human with poor self-control.
I say this because one fried pickle spear would have sufficed.
You did not need to eat all three. That was a moment of
binging and as scavengers human can be prone to binging.
This is part of our evolution. So is self-control however. Not
following your diet for one day does not ruin your diet. Not
following your diet for multiple days in a row will.

Commentary that takes more than reason&logic:
As for your abs. You will more than likely never have nice abs
if you eat like this regularly. Abs are made in the kitchen. Defined,
nice abs depend a lot on one's diet. I don't care how many reps
or sets you do of various ab exercises, you will not see them if
you eat a poor diet. Most of your abs are deep muscles which
means there is a layer of muscle over them as well as the fat your
body is storing. Please do not take this the wrong way but as you
lost five pounds in a week I'm going to assume a couple of things:
you're quite overweight OR you're barely eating and doing high intensity
cardio workouts. I am more inclined to believe the former. Why? Because
you seem to think that walking for an hour will make up for the calories
you consumed. Walking is not a good way to burn fat. Walking does not
elevate your heart rate high enough. In order to burn fat you have to have
an elevated heart rate for a duration of time that is at least 30 minutes.
Every age targets a different heart rate when working out. In order to figure
out what you want your target heart rate to be you subtract your age from
220 and that will be your maximum target heart rate. Now if your heart rate
goal is 70% of your maximum heart rate you just take the difference and
multiply it by .7 or if you want 60% multiply the difference by .6. Really simple
math, I promise.

For example I am 22. So let's subtract 22 from 220 (220 - 22). That gives us
a difference of 198. Eighty percent of my target heart rate is 158.8 (198/.8)

That means I want to get my heart rate ~159 in order to burn fat. Which is the
only way to see your abs. You have to get rid of the blankets of fat before
the abdominals will be defined. It is also important to do various ab exercises for
each muscle groups: obliques (internal&external), transverse abs, rectal abs.
For people who want six packs they focus more on developing their rectus abdominals
it is also important that the obliques and transverse abs be developed as well as
the rectal abs are underneath all three of these muscle groups.

Abridged version: you didn't ruin your diet, you did set it back.
You will never get your dream body with your current workout and diet plan.
That's just how human anatomy and physiology work.

Reactions: Kmal
Nope, it helped you. Now you're all carbed up and satiated, ready to get back to killing your workouts.

Really,...
We should be keep control of the diet habits.Because dieting is the necessary of the life and without
dieting we cant living fit and healthy.So we should be prepared of the dieting plan for keep good
fitness.I prepared a dieting plan.
1 Fresh juices.
2 Vegetarian foods
3 Pasta
4 Energy drinks.