Partaking in opposite sex activities

Breeze

Community Member
Jun 17, 2012
UK
MBTI
INFJ
Hello all.

The other day I was asking one of the women from my Japanese if they wanted to take any of my mangas for free (as I'm now getting Japanese copies I don't really want the English ones any more). She asked for a list and after I gave it to her she said to my "and why are most of your manga shoujo manga?" (Shoujo = teen girl (for those who aren't in the loop)). It was quite an odd question for me because not only have I not been asked such a thing before but I'd never even realised this.

My question to the rest of you is, do you partake in anything which is usually considered something the opposite sex usually does?
(Sorry for how that's worded but I can't think of a bit way of putting it).

Reactions: knight in battle
Hm.

I'd like to learn how to sew and mend.

Hello all.

The other day I was asking one of the women from my Japanese if they wanted to take any of my mangas for free (as I'm now getting Japanese copies I don't really want the English ones any more). She asked for a list and after I gave it to her she said to my "and why are most of your manga shoujo manga?" (Shoujo = teen girl (for those who aren't in the loop)). It was quite an odd question for me because not only have I not been asked such a thing before but I'd never even realised this.

My question to the rest of you is, do you partake in anything which is usually considered something the opposite sex usually does?
(Sorry for how that's worded but I can't think of a bit way of putting it).

You should have told her that it was because it captures emotions better than shit like Vampire Hunter D... I used to watch Sailor Moon (dubbed) on TV before school when I was a teenager, I didnt tell many people but I loved the romantic drama aspect of it all... I guess I am in tune with my feminine side enough that im not afraid to look less manly for admitting that now and I dont need to swing my dick all over to pretend I'm straight, although I am sure if you said all that she would have called you gay or weird because shes a judgmental dipstick. :D

Also I let my nieces paint my finger nails, brush my hair, and talk about princesses too, I guess that's not manly.

Reactions: Norton
I had a conversation along these lines about a week ago. That is, aspects of my personality that deviate from masculine norms. The answer was that I have a deep compassion for animals. That's not necessarily feminine, I guess - but it was the answer given. So take it for what it's worth.

When I was younger, I liked to wear eye makeup and paint my fingernails although it was more of an expression of nihilism than femininity.

I dunno about being really manly but I do everyday maintenance on my car. I can change all the bulbs (trust me, the cops love to pull me over if a light is out) including headlights. I check and fill the fluids regularly. I can't change the oil because I have a hard time getting up and down from the ground--I have lost strength in my hands and arms from the RA and mild trouble with the knees, but if I could, I would. I check the air pressure and add air when needed. I'm quite proud of that! I McGuyveried my toilet to stop running too. The stopper thingy wasn't working right and the damn thing kept running. I suppose one of these days I will have to change it out properly but the binder clipped small lid (from soft cream cheese) is working great!! I'm pretty sure if I had a penis, it would be HUGE!!!!! ( LOL :D )

Last edited:
I had my period the other day. Thats about all I do that is opposite-sex for me.

Reactions: Odyne and Shaqie
I don't participate in activities or interests based on societally imposed gender roles. I simply do what I want to do. If someone thinks that is odd, that is their problem.

For example, I often wear mens shoes. They are typically made wider and are much more comfortable for my feet. I have no interest in buying uncomfortable shoes just so someone who happens to be paying attention won't look at my feet and think "woah, she's wearing mens shoes...how bizarre...".

Reactions: Kgal
I had my period the other day. Thats about all I do that is opposite-sex for me.

I used to wonder about the point of your asides-- but now I realize that if you can hit home runs like this every so often, it's actually worth it. Well-played, sir.

Also, I don't think I do too many opposite sex things. I'm pretty far removed from being a manly man, but I've come to realize a lot of the things that I like to do are either gender-neutral or on the masculine side of things, and whenever I hang out with girls doing girly things I feel emasculated, out of place and bored... the worst thing in the world is shopping with women. I'm one of those 'get in, get out, maybe shop around a bit' people.

Hm.

Husband and I went to JoAnns to purchase a new sewing maching. The cashier asks, "A gift for your wife?" He says, "No, it's for me." Her reply was with a smile, "Nice, a man that sew." lol You know what is nice about sewing machines now? You don't have to fiddle with that stupid bobbin any longer. :D We had a discussion about sewing being seen as a femme hobby ... but in history, it was a man's job to be a tailor. :)

I would love to learn how to be an auto mechanic and refurbish old cars.

I dunno about being really manly but I do everyday maintenance on my car. I can change all the bulbs (trust me, the cops love to pull me over if a light is out) including headlights. I check and fill the fluids regularly. I check the air pressure and add air when needed. I'm quite proud of that!

..this is considered masculine?

..this is considered masculine?

Yes, at least by most males.

I can sew (was taught by a seamstress), make macrame jewelry, iron, wash clothes properly (sort and proper water temperature), I'd rather watch a chick flick than an action movie, and I don't like to watch most professional sports. However, I'm in the army, I can fix my own car, do about any house maintenance that needs to be done (i.e. fix the toilet, electrical outlets) and I play video games. I don't generally tell most males what I can do that is "feminine". However, since being in the army, I have found out that a lot of males can do things "feminine". Sewing being a common one.

Maybe it is a generational thing [MENTION=1579]Odyne[/MENTION] but most of the women I grew up with acted like ditzy flutterbrains when it came to anything to do with a car. Oil? What's that? There seemed to be a bit of learned helplessness.

I remember once telling my mentor at work that I was making my brother learn to cook and clean. He stayed in the dorms but spent most weekends at my house. She said "what, so he can learn to become a woman?"

I think the evolving nature of gender roles and such is still relatively new to our society. Societial changes aren't measured in years but by generations.

Reactions: Odyne
Hm.

Sewing & mending is really something everyone, Male or Female should know the basics of.
I learned it from my Mother as a child.
I also was one of the few guys that took Home Economics in high school. It probably has some other name these days. I considered it just another shop class.

Sewing & mending is really something everyone, Male or Female should know the basics of.
I learned it from my Mother as a child.
I also was one of the few guys that took Home Economics in high school. It probably has some other name these days. I considered it just another shop class.

LOL. I think that's awesome you were practical enough to waltz past conventional thinking and learn how to cook and sew. I'm impressed you did it. Even I couldn't stand to be in a room full of girls all talking about when they were going to get married and have children. Boo.... I was NOT into that!

oth....being the lone guy in a room full of girls must have had it's perks....did it not? :w:

Reactions: MindYourHead
LOL. I think that's awesome you were practical enough to waltz past conventional thinking and learn how to cook and sew. I'm impressed you did it. Even I couldn't stand to be in a room full of girls all talking about when they were going to get married and have children. Boo.... I was NOT into that!

oth....being the lone guy in a room full of girls must have had it's perks....did it not? :w:

Well, I always have been comfortable working with females, and they always accepted me into the fold.
I also was no dummy in that I knew there would be food involved at some point.....num,num.
Which I will confess satiated the munchies I had after partaking in a certain substance when cutting another earlier class. lol!

Well, I always have been comfortable working with females, and they always accepted me into the fold.
I also was no dummy in that I knew there would be food involved at some point.....num,num.

I always felt more comfortable with the guys and yeh....was accepted into the fold.....ableit a Nerd fold. I was one of those girls the guys could talk to about pretty much anything - especially their shyness with other girls. :) Typical INFJ I guess.

Let's see...I was and still am considered a "Tom Boy" as was spoken of back in the day. Gender roles were very clearly defined and one did not step over that line without lot's of repercussions. But I did them anyway - because like [MENTION=3240]Jill Hives[/MENTION] says - if I wanted to do something - I did - and just tuned out the rhetoric.

Every time my first husband and I would visit for lunch at my grandmothers house - and all of my cousins and their husbands were there - I'd get stares and chewed out for making my husband get his own plate of food. Hmmmph.

As I lived out in the rural countryside I did a lot of "guy" things along with "girl" things.
Here are a few...
Was responsible for all of the menagerie of animals: horses, dogs, cats, goats, chickens, rabbits, and calves.
Built fences and repaired barns. Bailed hay. Trained and milked cows.
Hunted for - and killed - rats and poisonous snakes.
Was in the accelerated learning classes in school including all of the math and sciences and band.
Graduated from college the first time with a degree in Chemical Engineering.
Worked in 2 refineries. Climbed tall towers. Sat on a bubble tray at the top of one of the tallest Coker towers ever built in the US at ARCO's Houston Refinery. That was awesome!
Wore fresh air rigging to take samples of H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide gas) all night during a turnaround where we were regenerating catalyst. If the fresh air rig ever failed - I would have died within 10 seconds from a paralyzed respiratory system. Eeek!
Was trained to put out fires in the refinery. I know how to fog the nozzle to get up close to a raging propane fire so we can turn off the valve. I also know how to keep up with hoses...
Have built something from nothing on numerous occasions in various rural locations around the country.
Can drive a 75hp tractor - use the front end loader - and mow and mow and mow and mow....
I've built 2 concrete dome homes out of solid concrete - sprayed on.
I've dug sewer systems - assembled water and drain pipes - wired electrical outlets - thrown the switch on a 400 amp breaker box time after time to do maintenance on a 72KW generator.
Filled and lugged 5 gallon buckets of sand and pea gravel for the mixing of concrete.
Pushed and maneuvered a 15 foot tall scaffold and manned the concrete pump hose so the spray man could spray the concrete.

And... I can sew...and cook.... and repair toilets....and balance the checkbook. :D

I think people should be encouraged to do what they're naturally good at. It shouldn't matter what gender anyone is. If you're good at it - then it makes sense one should be able to do it. Most likely they'd do a good job - be enthusiastic about doing it - and be happier for it.

Don't you think?

*drinks beer*
*crushes can on forehead*

no