Optimist or Pessimist? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Optimist or Pessimist?

Reactions: Ren and Ginny
Wyote said:
Can you give an example?

One striking example is that I view disagreements as more or less always silly, between moral and rational people. You either classify something as a fact, a speculation (in which case you keep working till it reaches the status of fact before asserting with any confidence OR demonstrate the probability your speculation is right), or a matter of subjective taste (in which case moral people will say the best way is to accommodate diverging tastes -- obviously if there aren't enough resources, they will also agree that's the case, and that it isn't necessarily someone's fault), or as to-be-decided/unclear. You'd think that, if people questioned themselves for hours and days and months, they'd never have angry conflicts over these things, and would always just arrive at one of those 4 options.

But when presented with this, I often get a response akin to "well they think they're correct from their point of view...so you can't expect them to change." This baffles me to no end. Because this comes from people who wouldn't say the same to a mad, insane killer who loves freezing people to death slowly. They may acknowledge the killer's preference, but they will not tolerate it. All I'm saying is assuming one regards oneself as a moral person and a rational person, there's no way out of this nor a reason to excuse it, as it's simple enough to always arrive at one of those 4....and I've never really heard people offer reasons against so much as just tend to excuse people who don't do it.

I think clarification is ideal, and I think the whole "agreeing to disagree" thing is silly, though its counterpart which is "OK it's unclear as we've not the time to hear each others' arguments out fully, so we adjourn" is reasonable.

In a way, this is really the mother of all other similar issues; I understand reaching different conclusions...that happens all the time and is good to discuss it out. However, I don't get the whole concept of fundamentally agreeing to disagree, as it signals being locked into one's perspective in a kind of incomprehensible way. Even if the answer is that there are 2 equally correct ways, that's not a disagreement, it's an answer that must be accepted.

Are you an optimist or pessimist? And what is your MBTI?

If you aren’t sure which you are, what is your outlook like when you wake up in the morning?

If you’re an optimist, do you get exhausted and lonely? (I certainly do.)

[Fairly optimistic INFJ here who is also plagued with realism]
I am such a huge optimist. When people are constantly negative it drains me I try to ignore it but most often I can't. This is something I need to work on.

I am an optimist the majority of the time. However, sometimes I feel down and can become pessimistic for a few hours up to a couple of days. But I always go back to being optimistic.
I'm an INFJ.

Reactions: Ren
Are you an optimist or pessimist? And what is your MBTI?

If you aren’t sure which you are, what is your outlook like when you wake up in the morning?

If you’re an optimist, do you get exhausted and lonely? (I certainly do.)

[Fairly optimistic INFJ here who is also plagued with realism]
I am pessimist but I secretly want someone to do something I don't expect (never happens). I am not sure of my type anymore now it seems like INTJ is right. When I wake up in the morning usually I'm tired and bored I usually have a plan in my mind.

I have been called Pollyanna before :) haha totally optimistic most of the time

I used to really be into Meyers Briggs and figuring out my type. I am pretty sure I am E. But as for the rest? Not so sure