Optimist or Pessimist?

dneecey

I am who I am.
Apr 17, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Are you an optimist or pessimist? And what is your MBTI?

If you aren’t sure which you are, what is your outlook like when you wake up in the morning?

If you’re an optimist, do you get exhausted and lonely? (I certainly do.)

[Fairly optimistic INFJ here who is also plagued with realism]

I would definitely describe myself as an optimistic person, but I wasn't always this way, I had a huge amount of cognitive retraining as a depression inpatient. Sometimes I get in a bad mood, and I slip back into my wicked old ways. I get exhausted and lonely after dealing with pessimistic attitudes a lot.

I'd say mostly I tend to be on the pessimistic side of things. My mind is sometimes my worst enemy, which tends to project itself with all the possible worst-case scenarios imaginable. With that said, however, there's a part of me that is hopeful that things will turn out alright...which usually do.

Good topic :)

Are you an optimist or pessimist?
I consider myself a realist. However, I am really optimistic about life and the possibilities of humanity.

And what is your MBTI?
I scored ENTJ.

If you aren’t sure which you are, what is your outlook like when you wake up in the morning?
In the short-term my outlook can be negative (some days really suck). From the long-term perspective, my outlook on life is positive.

Yes. The people around me aren't concerned with creating history, I am.

Last edited:
Are you an optimist or pessimist?
pessimist
And what is your MBTI?
giphy.gif

Are you an optimist or pessimist? And what is your MBTI? ]

Without question - a complete optimist. I have my moments but it's very short-lived and I bounce back relatively quickly. Tested as an INFJ but also received results as ENFJ/ ENTJ / INTJ (I don't even know how this is possible but it happened).

I get exhausted but it's a positive feeling of having exerted myself mentally/physically and I make sure I look after myself/well being etc to ensure I'm in a good place.

Lonely? So many directions to go with this one but generally no.

I am in general an optimistic person, but certain individuals (besides the obvious, usually strangers I see walking about) make me doubt humanity.

I identify with the cognitive process of the INFJ, but both my feeling functions are very strong, so I get lonely more often than before, or I am more conscious of it.

My outlook in the morning more or less entirely depends on the morning, and my dopamine-levels ;)

Are you an optimist or pessimist? And what is your MBTI?
I'm an optimistic pessimistic ENTP.
I hope and strive for the best while prepare for the worst.
I believe the world is essentially a pretty dark place, and humanity has an overabundance of faults. (Most of which can be attributed to a lack of intelligence and a lack of empathy/compassion.)
I also believe there is opportunity for growth and improvement nearly everywhere. It's a damn slow process, and often a matter of two steps forward, one step back, which frustrates me to no end, but it's there.
(For example, if the climate change deniers of the world would be so kind to get on with the program, that would be real nice.)

Well unfortunately I have anxiety, so on mornings where an environmental catalyst hijacks my amygdala, my outlook isn't too great. So I don't really believe this is a good indicator of optimism or pessimism in my particular case.
I get exhausted and lonely, but I don't see the causal relationship with optimism or pessimism.

[Fairly optimistic INFJ here who is also plagued with realism]
Curious. Why would you say you're plagued with realism? The choice of words suggests that you wish you weren't a realist?

I think I am optimistic insofar as my Fe-aux usually helps me move things forward towards a goal in the long term. So I’d undertake something and project myself towards achieving it and find meaning and contentment in the achievement. I am optimistic in that sense. But it looks something like this:

a-to-b-black-big-Fe-way-6.png

In my own life, the waves and loops represent shorter-term moments along the way in which I do feel more pessimistic or depressed. I usually get over these moments and keep the goal in sight (Ni probably helps for that too) but they can still be strongly felt, and give the goal-oriented path a kind of zigzag shape. I think the picture above describes pretty well what my brand of ‘optimism’ looks like.

So in the end I feel pretty much like @Pin does – sporadically pessimistic, but typically sticking to an optimistic big picture view. And I can often heave myself out of moments of pessimism by consciously making the effort to bring the bigger picture to mind.

An INFJ opptimistic opportunist.
The glass is neither half full or half empty because I took wild of opportunity and drank it :p Whether it was Jet fuel or water only time dictates.

I suffer aloneness, but I'm seldom lonely. I like me and enjoy my company, sharing it along with others as opportunity allows :joey:
giphy.gif

Philosophically realistic. I make an effort to look at every situation from an objective viewpoint.
Consciously strive to remain optimistic about myself and my outlook on life (i.e., I try to maintain a positive viewpoint and not always assume the worst).
Decidedly pessimistic about humanity's future. Recent trends aren't favorable.

INTP