Of all these careers, which would you choose? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Of all these careers, which would you choose?

Which careers would you choose?

• B.S. in Computer Science

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • B.S. in Computer Engineering

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • M.S. in Speech, Language, Pathology

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • M.S. in Mathematical Sciences

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • MBA in Crisis & Emergency Mgmt

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • MFA in Graphic Design/Computer Arts

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • MA/PhD in Psychology

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • BA in Philosophy

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters
what are you studying again? yeah, im currently scheming how to get out of Cal I. I know i don't need Cal II but i do need a Statistics. so i think ill take two stat courses if i can manage to get that. either way, math is necessary, but not a whole lot for my degree. what about yours?

Electrical engineering and among several fields of it, I'm in the one with the most beautiful math, control engineering.

What are you in?

Reactions: rawr
Math sciences is most likely what I'd pick, though my interests lie more in the fields of psychology and graphic design.

M.S. in Mathematical Sciences
MBA in Crisis & Emergency Mgmt
MA/PhD in Psychology
Other

As for the professional cat confuser, I'd say that Chaz is already confused by some cat if he thinks that cats could be confused. :D

Now I see that I didn't explain why this and not the rest.

Math because I like it, although it might not be my first choice, but if I were for some reason to study something else just for fun and further understanding it would be math simply because it's beautiful.

Crisis & Emergency Mgmt because I'm for some unknown reason very good in crises situations, I've got no idea how I get to suppress my feelings about the situation so much that I keep clear head and usually am first to respond and help in need. What would be my problem with this is dealing with myself later when the crisis is finished and all those suppressed feelings come up.

Psychology because I liked it as a subject earlier, and I think I might be good at something like that.

I didn't choose anything computer related from the pool because the idea of sitting in front of the computer and solely programing or doing only work computer related is a bit boring to me. It might have something to do with my love for higher level languages as opposed to those of lower levels.

Graphic design sounds good, but I don't see myself in it, and languages are good, but I already learn other languages and studying them to make a career out of it wouldn't be for me really. I like them as a means of communication and expanding my horizons, but not as something that I would like to practice on a career level.

Reactions: Gaze
PhD in Psychology! That's what I'm already aiming for, anyway, with maybe some training in neuropsychology. :)

This one is easy for me, MFA in Graphic Design/Computer Arts.
Next year or the year after (depending on how life unfolds itself) I plan to begin my studies.

Last edited:
BA in philosophy, mainly because I read it as "bad ass in philosophy" but the subject also interests me greatly. If I could get paid to think, I'd jump on that.

BA in philosophy, mainly because I read it as "bad ass in philosophy" but the subject also interests me greatly. If I could get paid to think, I'd jump on that.

Exactly!

I voted Psychology but I'd go for Philosophy as well. That would be awesome to have both because you could apply Socrates to all your patients' problems. It could be because the whole logic things appeals to me.

math + physics + chem + nanotech bioeng + neuroscience + animal communication + music composition

maybe also eco-architectural design and landscaping

voted for math;

p.s. i think the wider variety of subjects you study, the easier it becomes to get really good at all of them
studying is not like a resource to use up; it's like an explosion, the more the more

Last edited:
I voted B.S. in Computer Science ... but that is with a heavy bias. I currently have an MS in that field. I enjoy it greatly, and it pays the bills quite well ... but that is also the caveat. You have to do what you enjoy. It helps a lot if it pays the bills as well ... but a miserable job can be a jail sentence. I tried to be an ESTJ/ESTP for years as an army officer and was miserable. I self-destructed for quite a while and spiraled down in to depression and drinking. It took me close to 13 years to finally see the light and make a change ... actually it was forced upon me kicking and screaming ... and segue to a more fitting career.

Don't underestimate MBTI. It was dead on in my career fit. I know that any type can be happy in any career ... but there is something to be said for a smooth fit. If possible, try on a couple of different fields to see what fits ... research or internships might help if that is within your realm or possibilities. Find out as much as you can about your prospective careers ... maybe even take a class or two to see if you like them. Career counselling might help a bit too. If it doesn't work out, don't be afraid to jump or go back to school. It really is worth it to have a happy career.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Reactions: Gaze
I voted B.S. in Computer Science ... but that is with a heavy bias. I currently have an MS in that field. I enjoy it greatly, and it pays the bills quite well ... but that is also the caveat. You have to do what you enjoy. It helps a lot if it pays the bills as well ... but a miserable job can be a jail sentence. I tried to be an ESTJ/ESTP for years as an army officer and was miserable. I self-destructed for quite a while and spiraled down in to depression and drinking. It took me close to 13 years to finally see the light and make a change ... actually it was forced upon me kicking and screaming ... and segue to a more fitting career.

Don't underestimate MBTI. It was dead on in my career fit. I know that any type can be happy in any career ... but there is something to be said for a smooth fit. If possible, try on a couple of different fields to see what fits ... research or internships might help if that is within your realm or possibilities. Find out as much as you can about your prospective careers ... maybe even take a class or two to see if you like them. Career counselling might help a bit too. If it doesn't work out, don't be afraid to jump or go back to school. It really is worth it to have a happy career.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Good advice. Thx.

This is the thing: I wouldn't pick a PhD in Counseling Psychology. I'd choose an MS or PhD more in the research field - clinical or experimental - because the other is a major burn-out (my opinion). It's also a tough road to go; you have to have the grades for it and the temperament for it.

I'm getting my MS in Library Science and I (should) be done with that by end of Fall. After that I want to try and get my PhD in English.

This is the thing: I wouldn't pick a PhD in Counseling Psychology. I'd choose an MS or PhD more in the research field - clinical or experimental - because the other is a major burn-out (my opinion). It's also a tough road to go; you have to have the grades for it and the temperament for it.

I'm getting my MS in Library Science and I (should) be done with that by end of Fall. After that I want to try and get my PhD in English.

Sounds like a great track. I think i'm settling on the MS. in Speech Language Pathology (Speech Therapist). But I'm going to pursue TESOL certificate as well.

Speech Language Pathology is another really good field - just make sure you have at least a 3.5 GPA by the time you complete your undergrad. It's a competitive field and the GPA does matter in that profession.

Speech Language Pathology is another really good field - just make sure you have at least a 3.5 GPA by the time you complete your undergrad. It's a competitive field and the GPA does matter in that profession.

I have an MA. and almost completed a PhD, so I think i could probably handle it :smile:

Well, shoot, there ya go. Nothing to worry about at all. :D

I advise undergrads, so that's one thing I'm constantly telling them. It's a broken record in my head.

Well, shoot, there ya go. Nothing to worry about at all. :D

I advise undergrads, so that's one thing I'm constantly telling them. It's a broken record in my head.

You're right though. It is important to be realistic. I definitely wouldn't assume it's easy to get in especially since this is an M.S. I'm trying to take a few classes in the area to get a feel for it before I apply so i know what i'm getting into. If I don't get in the first time, i'll try again. At this point, i'm not in a rush. Rushing screwed me up the first time. I should've taken it more slowly which is why i never finished. So, i'll take my time and work towards it, and hope that i prove myself enough to get in because it seems to be a good field. I'll take it step by step, wait and see.

B.S. in Computer Science,
B.S. in Computer Engineering,
M.S. in Mathematical Sciences,
MFA in Graphic Design/Computer Arts,
MA/PhD in Psychology

Because I enjoy logic, science, psychology, art, and computers.

Anyone studying psychology?