Obama's speech | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Obama's speech

That's true. We can't stop them. But if they come to pose a threat to the security of the United States, we do have reasons to be concerned.
Funny thing about Al Qaeda is the US was supporters of them, and indirectly the Taliban. Al Qaeda got pissed with our military bases in Saudi Arabia and being so close to Mecca for little more then oil. Our stationed troops and military deployment of middle eastern countries is acountable for a majority of the emotions behind the attacks on 9/11.

I also don't buy the arguement that we do it in respect of national security. Us being there makes our nation no less safe. Terrorists and terrorism don't reside only in the mountains of Afghanistan and will most definitely occur and grow from other places. Occupying and carpet bombing countries will make us no more secure. In fact, I'd argue that it makes us less secure. There is a reason that people across the globe are pissed at us enough to resort to terrorism. Our best chance at national security would come from (in my opinion) listening to the disgruntled voices throughout the world and make some concessions. The world isn't ours for the taking and we need to rewrite our diplomatic stances in a way that doesn't treat the world as our playground, or forgien nations full of people as economic markets.

Now, the idea of securing human rights is a good reason to stay in Afghanistan (which is why I'm against a full and immediate withdraw) but for god's sake, if that's our mission lets start treating it that way. Assassinations and kidnappings, marking up civilian deaths as collateral damage, carpet bombing cities with "smart bombs", and so on are hardly a way of securing human rights. We are committing war crimes in the name of "freedom", and I refuse for a second to believe that the ends justify the current means.

Our nation needs to make up its mind; are we there out of self-interest or in the name of human rights? If it's the first, withdraw and now. We are completely unjustified in being there if this "war" (which it hardly can be considered a war) is for our own benefit. And if we're there for human rights, we need to drastically change the way we are handeling the situation through military and economic actions.

Last edited:
satya said:
If the people there wish to revert back to the Taliban, then there is very little we can do to stop them.

But how much of what support there is for the Taliban is actually legitimate, and how much of it is just the Afghanis covering their backsides in case the Taliban do get back in?

The last thing your average Afghan shop-keeper needs is to mouth off about the Taliban one day only to have them roll into town the next and have them introduce his brain to a bullet the hard way.

Funny thing about Al Qaeda is the US was supporters of them, and indirectly the Taliban.

Not quite. The US supported the Afghani Mujahideen rebels against the occupying Soviet forces during the '80's, and it was from these rebels that a group of hard-line Islamic fundamentalists eventually split and went on to form Al-Qaeda.

mf said:
I also don't buy the arguement that we do it in respect of national security.

Al-Qaeda organised and financed the 9/11 attacks.
Al-Qaeda's main base of operations at the time was in Afghanistan.
After the attacks the US, with the backing of the UN, demanded that Afghanistan's governing body, the Taliban, hand over those responsible so that they could be tried.
The Taliban refused.
The US, with the full backing of the UN and the vast majority of its member nations, invaded Afghanistan to capture those responsible for the 9/11 attacks and to prevent Al-Qaeda from maintaining a secure base of operations within that country from which they could carry out further attacks on the US.

Seems pretty straight-forward to me. What's not to "buy"?

mf said:
Occupying and carpet bombing countries will make us no more secure.

What carpet bombing? Are you referring to the "shock and awe" bombing of specific military and political centres in Baghdad at the beginning of the Iraq war? Or are you under the impression that the air strikes that have been launched against targets in Afghanistan constitute "carpet bombing"?

In either case I suggest you do further research into what the term carpet bombing really means, because nothing that they've done in Afghanistan quallifies as such.

mf said:
Our nation needs to make up its mind; are we there out of self-interest or in the name of human rights? If it's the first, withdraw and now. We are completely unjustified in being there if this "war" (which it hardly can be considered a war) is for our own benefit. And if we're there for human rights, we need to drastically change the way we are handeling the situation through military and economic actions.

The stated mission objectives of the US and it's allies in this campaign have always been what I outlined earlier in the post: to prevent further terrorist attacks from being organised and carried out from Afghanistan, and the way they're trying to do it is by creating a political and social climate that, unlike the one that existed under the Taliban, will not harbour and support international terrorism.

As for the rest of the points you made in your post, I don't disagree with them. The campaign thus far has relied far too much on militaristic tactics, tactics that have often backfired quite badly (for various reasons, blatant moral hypocrisy and a trigger-happy attitude not least amongst them). If they really want to make Afghanistan stable enough to prevent Al-Qaeda or a similar group from setting up shop there again they're going to have to do a far better job at winning the "hearts and minds" part of things than they have been.

But how much of what support there is for the Taliban is actually legitimate, and how much of it is just the Afghanis covering their backsides in case the Taliban do get back in?

The last thing your average Afghan shop-keeper needs is to mouth off about the Taliban one day only to have them roll into town the next and have them introduce his brain to a bullet the hard way.
Well now that you bring it up, how much support is there for the Taliban? Do you know? Talks of knowing what the people want is speculation without facts to back it up (unless you do have some resources, which I personally would be interested in seeing. I can't find much on the opinions of the Afghan people's actual thoughts on the Taliban).

However here is a very interesting report that I'd suggest anyone read
http://abcnews.go.com/images/PollingUnit/1083a1Afghanistan2009.pdf

Not quite. The US supported the Afghani Mujahideen rebels against the occupying Soviet forces during the '80's, and it was from these rebels that a group of hard-line Islamic fundamentalists eventually split and went on to form Al-Qaeda.
My apologies, I could be mistaken on this. A recent guest speaker at my university talked about the US's support of Osama Bin Landen in the late 80's and early 90's. I don't have any sources at the moment to cite this (but I'm searching through my notes).

The US has been heavily specuated to fund terrorist groups and cells around the world (I say heavily speculated because we have yet to actually admit to it). A current hot topic being wether or not the US is funding terrorist groups in Iran
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1543798/US-funds-terror-groups-to-sow-chaos-in-Iran.html

While I very well may be wrong about the US supporting and backing Al Qaeda and indirectly the Taliban, our blotched history hardly makes it inconcievable. We play "nation sports" all the time, pitting groups and sects against governments we don't like. We have delcared a "War on Terror" and paradoxily have supported and may continue to covertly support terrorism throughout the world.

Al-Qaeda organised and financed the 9/11 attacks.
Al-Qaeda's main base of operations at the time was in Afghanistan.
After the attacks the US, with the backing of the UN, demanded that Afghanistan's governing body, the Taliban, hand over those responsible so that they could be tried.
The Taliban refused.
The US, with the full backing of the UN and the vast majority of its member nations, invaded Afghanistan to capture those responsible for the 9/11 attacks and to prevent Al-Qaeda from maintaining a secure base of operations within that country from which they could carry out further attacks on the US.

Seems pretty straight-forward to me. What's not to "buy"?

Well if we're going to argue that we're going after Al Qaeda, check this out. It's estimated that fewer then 100 Al Qaeda remain in Afghanistan and the Taliban appear to be distancing themselves from Al Qaeda
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/10/AR2009111019644.html

And as I stated before, I don't believe that this war has done anything to make our nation safer. We aren't fighting a conventional war, we are fighting against an ideal. The "War on Terror" easily has the potential to span on for decades and decades to come. There is no clear view of the end of this "war". When are our troops going to come home? When we've set up a mock USA in Afghanistan? When we kill Bin Laden? When we destory Al-Qaeda? And what about after that? Is that really the end of terror? Will we allow terrorism to exist in other parts of the world and call it even? Can we even fight terrorism? What about terrorists that are still to be born?

When fighting a war, two or more sides face off against eachother (overwhelmingly commonly being two nation-states), and yet here we are fighting ideas/ideals. Can Al Qaede actually be destroyed when it's free and seperate from any national government?

If we really want national security, we need to change our world posture. By attacking and invading groups of people inside of soverign nations, I fail to understand how we're moving towards security.

To quote Howard Zinn in Terrorism and War (Seven Stories Press, 2002) "According to a 1997 Defense Science Board report, "Historical data show strong correlations between US involvement in international situations and an increase in terrorist attacks against the United States" I can give you the reference he is quoting if you so desire.

There is a reason these people are pissed at us, and it's not simply for existing. Al Qaeda is angered towards the US because of our involvement in Saudi Arabia being close to holy sites. Our troop stations and deployments across the globe (and especially in the Middle East) make people mad and in response they attack us through terrorism. So what's our answer to make ourselves safer? We do the exact same thing, over and over again.

I agree that we had to do something in response to 9/11, but when you decide "we have to do something, and fast" it leads to more violence and war. If you want to do something right, you take the time and think it through. We invaded Afghanistan less then one month after 9/11.

What carpet bombing? Are you referring to the "shock and awe" bombing of specific military and political centres in Baghdad at the beginning of the Iraq war? Or are you under the impression that the air strikes that have been launched against targets in Afghanistan constitute "carpet bombing"?

In either case I suggest you do further research into what the term carpet bombing really means, because nothing that they've done in Afghanistan quallifies as such.
Before you try and discredit me, I'd recommend you do a simple Wikipedia search.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet_bombing
Read the last sentence of the Later Theories section. We've carpet bombed mountainous regions of Afghanistan.

And while on the subject of bombing (be it carpet bombing or not) it was estimated in December of 2001 that our bombing operations had killed over 3,700 civilians. That's in two months! (source: pubpages.unh.edu/~mwherold/Afghanistan.doc
if that doesn't work, it's in Zinn's book again)

Is terrorising people of a nation the correct response to terrorism?

Furthermore, let's discuss the idea of these "smart bombs" we use in Iraq and Afghanistan. Pinpoint bombing is far from pinpoint bombing. When you bomb from high altitudes to avoid flack, how do you know that your bombs are actually hitting their mark?

The US used smart bombs during the first gulf war. It was later discovered that 93% of the so called smart bombs killed or injured civilians and 70% missed their mark. Also near the end of the operation, it was reported that the US was bombing to destroy things beside military targets in order to gain "leverage" over post-war Iraq. (paraphrased from Zinn).

Also, does targeting military targets make it alright to kill civilians? It's something to think about. Is innocent human life really just collateral damage in order to "secure" the lives of Americans half way around the world?

As of 2002, the United States openly admitted to targeting Red Cross stations inside of Afghanistan. They didn't do it just once, but twice. Two times we bombed Red Cross stations, justified by military targets. The military apologized in the New York Times and then targeted another Red Cross station. This time however they missed and hit a residential neighborhood. [http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/27/n...-bombing-us-planes-bomb-a-red-cross-site.html]

Lietenant Colonel Lapan has admitted the following in asking if civilians have been killed in Afghanistan (January 2002) "Possibly. If they were killed, it was because they were in the vicinity of a military target". (Zinn sourcing an article from the Boston Globe titled 'Bombed Village Is Testimony to Risks to Civilians').

TL;DR
I refuse to believe that this continued "war" has contributed to our national security or that we have the Afghan people's interests at heart. 40,000 (low estimate) to 80,000 people have been killed in Afghanistan alone since October 7th, 2001. That's 5,000-10,000 people dying a year. This can hardly be justified as in the interest of human rights or in national security. I doubt that these deaths and our international involvement will do anything to diminish terrorism. Terrorism is an ideal and our actions only flame the fires. If we honestly and seriously want to combat terrorism, we have to give the people who are angry a voice, not try to silence it.

Oh yes, he articulates his words very well.

My opinion: When he has a speeched planed for him

Reactions: enfp can be shy
My opinion: When he has a speeched planed for him
Agreed. I don't truly believe he is an eloquent speaker. And it wouldn't matter if he was or wasn't.

Must add also, that I tend to sympathize with Obama. When I saw him being a candidate for president, I wished he wouldn't win. I'm a little hurt to watch him walking in the carrot suit now. Sigh. He's a good man, he shouldn't be there. He really doesn't fit among other politicians, it almost looks surreal. Like some novel by Dostoyevsky. I hope his family survives all that crap he is going to have to go through.

Last edited:
The media elected Obama.
As a Canadian who watched all the debates I think Ron Paul would have been a better choice.

The media elected Obama.
As a Canadian who watched all the debates I think Ron Paul would have been a better choice.
The Internet would have elected Ron Paul.
Which isn't very different. And I really disliked the dirty trick methods of some his campaigners.

Well now that you bring it up, how much support is there for the Taliban? Do you know? Talks of knowing what the people want is speculation without facts to back it up (unless you do have some resources, which I personally would be interested in seeing. I can't find much on the opinions of the Afghan people's actual thoughts on the Taliban).

I had the same problem finding articles discussing the opinions of Afghanis too, but even without evidence to determine exactly what's what it's still a valid question to ask.

mf said:
However here is a very interesting report that I'd suggest anyone read
http://abcnews.go.com/images/PollingUnit/1083a1Afghanistan2009.pdf

I'm not surprised at all that support for the occupying forces are dropping amongst the Afghans, the US particularly but also its allies have been doing an absolutely piss-poor job of the whole "hearts and minds" bit pretty much since day one.

It's worth pointing out though that the report you posted states that over half (55%) of the Afghans surveyed think that the biggest threat to their nation is from the Taliban, and only 8% think that it's from the US.

mf said:
My apologies, I could be mistaken on this. A recent guest speaker at my university talked about the US's support of Osama Bin Landen in the late 80's and early 90's. I don't have any sources at the moment to cite this (but I'm searching through my notes).

The US has been heavily specuated to fund terrorist groups and cells around the world (I say heavily speculated because we have yet to actually admit to it). A current hot topic being wether or not the US is funding terrorist groups in Iran
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1543798/US-funds-terror-groups-to-sow-chaos-in-Iran.html

While I very well may be wrong about the US supporting and backing Al Qaeda and indirectly the Taliban, our blotched history hardly makes it inconcievable. We play "nation sports" all the time, pitting groups and sects against governments we don't like. We have delcared a "War on Terror" and paradoxily have supported and may continue to covertly support terrorism throughout the world.

You're not "wrong" about the US backing Al-Qaeda and the Taliban indirectly, it's just that they weren't actually Al-Qaeda or the Taliban at the time, they were just Mujahideen rebels fighting off a Soviet invasion, rebels that the US provided with weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_qaeda#Jihad_in_Afghanistan

mf said:
Well if we're going to argue that we're going after Al Qaeda, check this out. It's estimated that fewer then 100 Al Qaeda remain in Afghanistan and the Taliban appear to be distancing themselves from Al Qaeda
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/10/AR2009111019644.html

The article also says that most of what's left of the Al-Qaeda operatives previously based in Afghanistan have hopped the border to Pakistan (hence the recent increase in terrorist attacks in that country), and that the recent shift in dynamics between the two groups may be leading to closer relations between Al-Qaeda and certain factions of the Taliban:

The Haqqani-led faction, which is blamed for many of the deadliest attacks on U.S. troops in eastern Afghanistan, works so closely with al-Qaeda that distinctions between the groups may be irrelevant, officials said.

Despite its weakened state, there is little doubt that al-Qaeda remains a potent international force, and there is reason to believe that cooperation with Pakistani Taliban groups is deepening.
mf said:
And as I stated before, I don't believe that this war has done anything to make our nation safer. We aren't fighting a conventional war, we are fighting against an ideal. The "War on Terror" easily has the potential to span on for decades and decades to come. There is no clear view of the end of this "war".

When are our troops going to come home? When we've set up a mock USA in Afghanistan? When we kill Bin Laden? When we destory Al-Qaeda? And what about after that? Is that really the end of terror? Will we allow terrorism to exist in other parts of the world and call it even? Can we even fight terrorism? What about terrorists that are still to be born?

When fighting a war, two or more sides face off against eachother (overwhelmingly commonly being two nation-states), and yet here we are fighting ideas/ideals. Can Al Qaede actually be destroyed when it's free and seperate from any national government?

The "War on Terror" is as misleading a sound-bite as the "War on Drugs", to borrow a quote from The Wire:

"They can't even call this sh*t a war."
"Why not?"
"Wars end."

Wars need clearly defined and achievable objectives, but there'll always be terrorism just like there'll always be drug-related crime, which leaves the "warfare" mentality as a particularly ill-suited tool to deal with either problem.

Like I said before I don't disagree with you when it comes to the over-reliance on military tactics, a far more effective strategy would have been and still is to beat the ideas in the arena of public debate (which naturally necessitates giving people a chance to voice their frustrations) and to treat Al-Qaeda itself as a criminal organisation.

While I think there's a place for the military in all of this I do think that treating Al-Qaeda almost exclusively as a military target actually made them stronger by giving them more credibility, which increased their level of support.

I do have a problem though with the "mock USA" part. The US has said numerous times that the style of democracy in Afghanistan will have to be suited to the particular cultural requirements there or it won't stick, and they've also made no secret of the fact that the main objective in Afghanistan is to stabilise the country to prevent terrorists from using it as a base of operations in the future.

That's part of the reason why they haven't been up in arms about the corruption during the recent elections (along with the fact that this was Afghanistan's first ever true democratic election, so anyone thinking that it was going to be as clean as your typical election in the West was deluding themselves), sure they'd prefer it if the government wasn't so corrupt, but they'll settle for it if it means a stable country that doesn't support terrorism.

mf said:
If we really want national security, we need to change our world posture. By attacking and invading groups of people inside of soverign nations, I fail to understand how we're moving towards security.

To quote Howard Zinn in Terrorism and War (Seven Stories Press, 2002) "According to a 1997 Defense Science Board report, "Historical data show strong correlations between US involvement in international situations and an increase in terrorist attacks against the United States" I can give you the reference he is quoting if you so desire.

There is a reason these people are pissed at us, and it's not simply for existing. Al Qaeda is angered towards the US because of our involvement in Saudi Arabia being close to holy sites. Our troop stations and deployments across the globe (and especially in the Middle East) make people mad and in response they attack us through terrorism. So what's our answer to make ourselves safer? We do the exact same thing, over and over again.

I agree that we had to do something in response to 9/11, but when you decide "we have to do something, and fast" it leads to more violence and war. If you want to do something right, you take the time and think it through. We invaded Afghanistan less then one month after 9/11.

I agree that the West has brought a lot of the heat it gets on itself with it's foreign policies in the Middle-East, and some of its attitudes towards Muslims domestically, but don't forget that the invasion of Afghanistan was fully supported in every way by the UN and it's member nations, and that includes the Muslim nations of the Middle-East. The US was completely justified in going in there.

If you want to blame anybody blame the Taliban for not following international law and giving up the Al-Qaeda members behind the 9/11 attacks when again, the UN, told them they had to. If they'd just handed them over the US and their allies (which included NATO don't forget) would never have needed to go into Afghanistan in the first place.

mf said:
Before you try and discredit me, I'd recommend you do a simple Wikipedia search.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet_bombing
Read the last sentence of the Later Theories section. We've carpet bombed mountainous regions of Afghanistan.

Discredit you? Who's trying to discredit anyone? I've got no problem admitting that I was wrong when I said that "nothing they've done in Afghanistan qualifies as such", but equally you have to admit that you were wrong when you said that the military were "carpet bombing cities", because as the article you yourself posted says:

During Operation Enduring Freedom carpet bombing was used as a means to destroy hardened targets in unpopulated areas, such as Taliban and Al-Qaeda positions in the Tora Bora mountains of Afghanistan.
mf said:
And while on the subject of bombing (be it carpet bombing or not) it was estimated in December of 2001 that our bombing operations had killed over 3,700 civilians. That's in two months! (source: pubpages.unh.edu/~mwherold/Afghanistan.doc if that doesn't work, it's in Zinn's book again)

Is terrorising people of a nation the correct response to terrorism?

Already covered this in my earlier post, the way they've chosen to go about things in Afghanistan has been deeply flawed. But don't forget that they're fighting an enemy that doesn't wear uniforms and doesn't fight in the conventional style, they hide amongst civilians and use them as human shields. In a conflict like that it's inevitable that innocents are going to get killed, it's the nature of warfare, especially modern urban warfare.

I've got absolutely no problem with people criticising the occupying forces when they've done wrong, but equally if you're going to do that you have to point the finger of blame at their opponents as well, for putting those forces in the position of having to make those choices in the first place.

mf said:
Furthermore, let's discuss the idea of these "smart bombs" we use in Iraq and Afghanistan. Pinpoint bombing is far from pinpoint bombing. When you bomb from high altitudes to avoid flack, how do you know that your bombs are actually hitting their mark?

The US used smart bombs during the first gulf war. It was later discovered that 93% of the so called smart bombs killed or injured civilians and 70% missed their mark. Also near the end of the operation, it was reported that the US was bombing to destroy things beside military targets in order to gain "leverage" over post-war Iraq. (paraphrased from Zinn).

It's been almost 20 years since the first Gulf conflict and technology has come a long way. I have absolutely no doubt that the smart bombs they use today aren't nearly as accurate as is commonly believed, nor that the military are too quick to use them, but comparing the weapons used then to what's been used now is like comparing apples to oranges.

In other words if you're going to post stats then, obviously, you have to post stats that are relevant to what's being discussed.

mf said:
Also, does targeting military targets make it alright to kill civilians? It's something to think about. Is innocent human life really just collateral damage in order to "secure" the lives of Americans half way around the world?

As of 2002, the United States openly admitted to targeting Red Cross stations inside of Afghanistan. They didn't do it just once, but twice. Two times we bombed Red Cross stations, justified by military targets. The military apologized in the New York Times and then targeted another Red Cross station. This time however they missed and hit a residential neighborhood.

[http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/27/n...bombing-us-planes-bomb-a-red-cross-site.html]

Lietenant Colonel Lapan has admitted the following in asking if civilians have been killed in Afghanistan (January 2002) "Possibly. If they were killed, it was because they were in the vicinity of a military target". (Zinn sourcing an article from the Boston Globe titled 'Bombed Village Is Testimony to Risks to Civilians').

It doesn't make it all right, but it does makes it inevitable. We'd all like to live in a world where it doesn't happen but in reality it's an unavoidable consequence of fighting an enemy that uses civilian urban environments to conduct and organise their operations.

As for the red cross stations, I've already said that the occupying forces have been too indiscriminate with their use of force.

mf said:
TL;DR
I refuse to believe that this continued "war" has contributed to our national security or that we have the Afghan people's interests at heart. 40,000 (low estimate) to 80,000 people have been killed in Afghanistan alone since October 7th, 2001. That's 5,000-10,000 people dying a year.

This can hardly be justified as in the interest of human rights or in national security. I doubt that these deaths and our international involvement will do anything to diminish terrorism. Terrorism is an ideal and our actions only flame the fires. If we honestly and seriously want to combat terrorism, we have to give the people who are angry a voice, not try to silence it.

Has there been an Afghanistan based terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11? No. So the objective in Afghanistan is being met, the US and the West are being made safer.

Outside of Afghanistan however, many of the actions taken by the US and other Western nations have undermined those efforts (the spectacular mishandling of the Iraq situation being the most obvious example, but also Guantanamo Bay, extraordinary renditioning, etc.). But that doesn't mean that the Afghan situation itself has been a failure. They haven't conducted it nearly as well as they should have, and I don't doubt for a second that the causality rates (both civilian and military) are much higher than they could have and should have been. But on its own merits the mission in Afghanistan is working, it is making the West safer from international terrorism.

(Oh, and it's semantics I know, but terrorism itself isn't an ideal, it's a method used to try to bring about an ideal).

Last edited:
I didn't see the speech my self I don't own a tv. I know he addressed his Afghanistan plan was there anything else?

As far as his plan goes there a lot of things I am concerned about.

-Is his plan for pakistan really enough, beefing up drone activity and cia activity might backfire since this drones have an unfortunate habit of hitting civilians
-Do we have the 30 billion?
-I've hear a lot about the military plan for Afghanistan, but what about infrastructure building? The plans for real building the war torn country seem scant. Even as far as training new afghan troops go I havn't heard much. And everyone agrees this plan wont work without extensive training of a civilian army and police force.
-What do afghanis think of all this???

:m200: