Near Death Experiences (NDEs) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Near Death Experiences (NDEs)

When I was a teen, I read "Life After Life".
I am convinced Heaven is a wonderful place.

Reactions: JGirl
I'm fascinated by NDE's. Has anyone on the forum had one? Did it change your life?

I read stories and articles from this site a lot:

http://www.near-death.com/index.html

I've never had one, but I'd love to hear stories of anyone who has.

oh man i was going to start a thread on it before i found this. i'm fascinated by them

Too bad there isn't any more on this thread. I don't remember much from my experiences. But I was never told my heart stopped. I broke my neck on two different occasions in '08. Spent 10 mo. in the Hosp. that year, the a further 5 1/2 mo. in rehab (Courage Center) Quite awhile unconscious in ICU's. I'm sure I was close to death. I had strange hallucinations while on lots of painkillers. Life is painful.

Too bad there isn't any more on this thread. I don't remember much from my experiences. But I was never told my heart stopped. I broke my neck on two different occasions in '08. Spent 10 mo. in the Hosp. that year, the a further 5 1/2 mo. in rehab (Courage Center) Quite awhile unconscious in ICU's. I'm sure I was close to death. I had strange hallucinations while on lots of painkillers. Life is painful.

at the risk of sounding nosey how does a person manage to break their neck twice? - in the same year no less!

Loooong strory. I have a disease that fused my spine. I fell and broke it. Did 3 months in the Hospital, went home, left alone, fell again. It doesn't take much to snap a fused spine. It's not fused from surgery. It fused in a painful Arthritic process that took years and is still going on. I have a Remicade infusion every couple months to keep it at bay.

Loooong strory. I have a disease that fused my spine. I fell and broke it. Did 3 months in the Hospital, went home, left alone, fell again. It doesn't take much to snap a fused spine. It's not fused from surgery. It fused in a painful Arthritic process that took years and is still going on. I have a Remicade infusion every couple months to keep it at bay.

Im sorry to hear that. That sounds extremely painful and uncomfortable. I hope everything works out for you.

................................................................................................................................................

I had a near death experience 11 years ago. I dont remember the details well anymore, only the overall feeling.

Basically I lost a lot of blood and lost consiousness. I remember feeling extremely relaxed, happy, peaceful but I could hear someone telling me to wake up urgently. When I did wake up, I was pretty much paralysed and I could see myself laying there. I couldnt move or call out so I started freaking out and feeling helpless and confused. And then I felt this reassuring presence- like warmness and then this spark sensation roll through me and suddenly I fet present again and got my voice back.

I had a quick look at the website mentioned in this thread http://www.near-death.com/index.html. It makes sense. Im going to have a better look at it when I have some time.

I've always found the topic of NDE fascinating.
There is a show on the Biography Channel called "I Survived, Beyond and Back". Where people recount their experiences.
http://www.biography.com/tv/i-survived-beyond-and-back/videos
There are those that claim what people are experiencing is just hallucinations resulting from the brain shutting down.
I don't know, the experiences have such common threads that I believe there has to be more to it.
Some go to a hellish place, others to a place of peace and happiness. Those that went to the place of peace are often angry they were brought back.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Spiritual-Doorway-Brain-Neurologists/dp/0525951881

It has been a year or so since I read this, but Kevin Nelson MD focuses on the neuroscience behind the experiences. Warning, he is a materialist. This means he focuses on the biological and neurological components that produce the affects and experiences of NDE. However, he takes an interesting line of reasoning: we can judge an experience by the fruit it produces. In NDE the fruit (outcomes and lasting implications on worldview) is very often healthy and beneficial. To him the material cause is important, but it should not be cause for the reactions: It's just chemicals in your brain. It's just related to advanced REM intrusion along with unusual prefrontal cortex activity. Yes, those are the precursors and yes they are firmly planted in biological means (without such equipment the experiences could not be had), however, we do not know WHY the neuronical activity produces said effects and we know very little about how they evolved within us (humans). Those mysteries remain.

And it is they mystery of being alive and the mysteries that lie beyond which propel humans forward. In my mind mystery gives rise to two monumental means of apprehending the spirtual: religion and science. Perhaps in some simple way, even though the methods are disparate, the two can have some sort of rapproachment in knowing that it is the same spark igniting their journeys.

Dmt.