Natural and herbal "cures" & remedies | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Natural and herbal "cures" & remedies

I have a huge book about herbal stuff, what do you want to know? ^^

Be careful when using natural products to treat illness. Products that are natural or over the counter can possbily alter the characteristics of metabolism for other drugs.

Make sure to talk to your doctor about therapy if you are unsure if the natural product can interact with any other natural product/over the counter drug/prescription drug that you are taking.

Thanks,
Azure

While it is true that large quantities of some natural extracts can interfere with OTC or precription drugs, I don't have the greatest confidence in your local GP being able to tell you anything you can't read in a book or even on the internet if you can find reptutable sources. Your GP is not an expert on drug interactions....

(It also begs the question of why are you taking both at the same time, especially if you are trying to test whether the alternative actually works).

While it is true that large quantities of some natural extracts can interfere with OTC or precription drugs, I don't have the greatest confidence in your local GP being able to tell you anything you can't read in a book or even on the internet if you can find reptutable sources. Your GP is not an expert on drug interactions....

(It also begs the question of why are you taking both at the same time, especially if you are trying to test whether the alternative actually works).

Very good points.

I usually use herbal cures first before I take any OTC product. If the herbal cure doesn't work, then I go up the chain to the pharma grade, doctor prescribed medications. I think it's important to use what's natural first (IMO). As long as you've really explored the positives and negatives on the internet, you could have much knowledge as your GP.

Fortunately my GP is pretty vitamin savvy and lets me choose natural remedies. Sometimes I'll run them by him if I have concerns.