My cognitive development results, I'm ISTJ | INFJ Forum

My cognitive development results, I'm ISTJ

2understandme

Regular Poster
Feb 19, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Should be in my signature! Somehow I'm not INFJ, at least not today!

Last edited:
Are you in some sort of stressful situation, INFJ's tend to turn into ISTJ mode when they are severely stressed, The theory Von e came up explains this quite well.

You do indeed have a strong Si and Te score, which is not shared by many INFJ's yet there are some who have it. That might be conflicting your results a bit but again a test cannot tell you who you are, only you, I been getting different results since I have taken the test and due to a variety of factors the outcome has change, but I feel as if my core type were INFJ.

You should introspect and analyze on this further..good luck!

Stressful. School is stressful, for sure. I read the traits of an ISTJ and they don't describe me at all! Wow, couldn't be further from the truth. I guess if I decide to take it again I will have to be more relaxed. You're right, a test can't tell me who I am, and I'm certainly not an ISTJ!

Thank you for responding!

I will make it through. Coffee sounds really good right now!

I put them in order to better visualize it:

Si - 37.6
Te - 33.8
Ni - 31.9
Fe - 31.7
Fi - 30.7
Ne - 29.9
Ti - 22.5
Se - 21.3

This does seem like an ISTJ set, albeit it a quite atypical one. Si clearly stands out in the open here, but Se is dead last. This could make the apperance of your S core to be inaccurate as the are polarized. This is normal though. It is rare for Si and Se to both appear near each other though. As an INFJ set (Ni>Fe) is directly below an ISTJ set (Si>Te), you could just be a very strong judger. I am this way. All four of those functions are at the top for me. I recomend reading all four of the IJ varients (which are; INFJ INTJ ISFJ ISTJ) to see which one sounds most accurate. And really scrutianize it. Your Si appears to be the strongest but a good margin, so do not rule out the possibillity of being a ISxJ. However, as Ti and Se are at the bottom, INFJ is a possibllity still.

Read through some of these types, take the test again in a week, and use both your personal feeling on what you fit best. Also keep in mind, this test is not full proof, and from what I have seen. Getting good results out of this takes "pratice".

I've considered the Cognitive process test to be by far the worst test on Jungian typology there is.

The cognitive process test assumes that because you can relate to these question enough to put check marks in them, you much have these function developed. There really should not have to be a debate on why checking a box is not valid proof of concept but alas, there seems to be. There are four factors that are going into what you are selecting in the CP test: recognition, association, inspiration, and disassociation.

Recognition:
As you answer question, you will recognize uses of the functions that you consciously use and associate with, for an INTP this is Ti and Ne. Now you consciously use more than just Ti and Ne, but those two are going to be the most apparent to you because of the fact that it is these two that create your sense of self. Unless you are completely oblivious to the workings of your mind, you top to functions should at least be in there, now here is the part where a bunch of extras go in as well.

Association:

There are many functions that we use that are similar to our recognition functions, but still very different. These are processes that we don't have, but we will associate with the ones we do have because of their similarity. Examples of these are Fi and Se. Fi and Ti actually come from the same brain quad, they are extremely similar in their functionality and serve the same purpose in one's psyche. They are both subjective discernment functions that serve as a compass of sorts, whether it be logical or moral. You could actually say there is a little bit of unconscious Fi in Ti, and a little bit of Ti in Fi. One must have convictions for logic in order to resonate with the purely logical, and one must have a logical reason for having convictions. Yet still, to suggest that you are using both is still missing the point, your priority is going to focus on Logic or morality, and that is what makes it a completely different process.
Everyone has emotions, and a feeling process of sorts, but because of the fact that we are introverts, and don't closely associate with the external, we will think of our feelings as introverted, even though they are not.
There could be a similar confusion with Se and Ne, because in order to grasp an Ne pattern in the first place, the starting point must be a detail (Se). But again, you are not looking for details, you are focusing on patterns, which is why it is Ne you are using, not Se.

Inspiration:

These are functions that we do not have, but not only could we associate with them more than what we do have, we are inspired by their usage. Examples of these are Te and Ni. Every personality must have a "worldview" function, for an INTP it is Si. But we don't really like to associate with details and sensing, that is just not how we see ourselves. Ni is the other worldview function, and when posed with something like the question of the CP test, we are going to resonate more with an Ni worldview more than we are an Si worldview. Whatever your top two functions are (ie: Ti-Ne), it is naturally that you would see the respective functions of opposite rationality (ie: Te-Ni) as inspirational and desirable. They are the functions that we don't have, but we look up to and kind of wish we did.

Disassociation:
The very definition of "the shadow" in Jungian psychology is all that is a part of us that we do not identify with, or just do not like. This is why your shadow functions (For an INTP they are Si and Fe) are going to fall into this category. Our shadow functions are present, they are less conscious than our dominant and auxiliary, but we do consciously use them. As intuitives and thinkers we don't really see ourselves as detail oriented, or gregariously feeling. We have this capacity, but it is not a part of us that we like to associate with. Ti is the opposite with Fe, as Ti dominant it is Ti that really identify with, sense Fe is Ti's opposite, then that means we will identify with Fe the least. Because of this your shadow functions are probably going to be way below other functions on a CP test do to the fact that we just don't see them as being a part of us, even though they effect your psyche is the most profound of ways.

Now then, if you combine all of these factors into a cognitive process test, you results could very well end up: Ti, Fi, Ne, Ni, Te, etc, dispite the fact that you have neither Ni, nor Te, nor Fi.

You see, you cannot possibly measure one's psyche with a written test. It is ludicrous to think you can, and I am really hoping people will drop this obsession with quantifiable evidence of something that cannot be quantified. Even the basic MBTI test, is not measuring what you use, but your awareness of what you use. This awareness can be biased by many things such as Idealism, culture, confidence, and level of growth. For instance, an ENFP who has worked really hard on their Te, might just start answering the questions as they would a strong thinker. They worked hard to develop that part of themselves, they are proud, and they deserve it. But that doesn't mean that is what stimulates them, and it is what stimulates you that truly decides what your personality type is, not what you could possibly use.

Reactions: Morgain
I was gonna say you might be ENFP, but then you wouldn't call yourself 2understandme (how INFJ!) but rather something like "am i not AWesome?!" , "we rule cause we do!" , and "we are the champs my friend ^^"
lol
Verdict: INFJ.

You see, you cannot possibly measure one's psyche with a written test. It is ludicrous to think you can, and I am really hoping people will drop this obsession with quantifiable evidence of something that cannot be quantified. Even the basic MBTI test, is not measuring what you use, but your awareness of what you use.

this is all very interesting Adymus! What would be a better way to "measure" or explain your psyche?

Somehow I ended up messing up this posting thing, oops.

wow, you guys were certainly busy after I went to sleep! Thank you for all of the responses....

IndigoSensor - you explained a lot of things very well, as I am able to grasp some of these new terms and ideas. I will take a look at all of the IJ variants.

YHWH- What do you mean? I'm a newbie, don't use big words :(

Adymus- You also make some good points and you said a lot of stuff that I will have to think about some more. I can see the possible problems with the test because it can only measure what we are aware of. As I was taking it yesterday, I kept on thinking of various situations and what I do or think when I'm in the midst of it. So, yeah, that could be a problem.

ENFP can be shy- Yeah, I'm not at all AWESOME! Seriously, that is not my mantra and 2understandme is definitely me!

Morgain, I believe you asked the right question!