Memory | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Memory

I'm god AWFUL at remembering names but I have a steel trap mind for things like details from conversations. I can remember things word for word.

If I'm not paying attention to where I put something, I'll completely loose it.

Thanks Indigo!

I never knew that bad memory might be an INFJ thing. That is so cool. I wonder how that works though? Is it bad memory with everything, or bad memory with certain, unorganized things?

No it has to do with Se. We don't use it well. Our memories are fine when we want them to be--with the things that are important to us. Those things do not include details like birthdays and where we put something down. We are usually to busy walking the halls of our minds. I am often amazed how many things I can do on "Auto-Pilot" as I call it. When I finally snap out of it I go wow, I just drove home without even realizing it!

We remember with our Ni. I am convinced of it. I am plenty intelligent, I just don't pay attention to what I consider, uninteresting and trivial things.

I'm god AWFUL at remembering names but I have a steel trap mind for things like details from conversations. I can remember things word for word.

Oh gee, yeah. Names, faces, birthdays, whateverrr. This is why I have a reminder in my phone for birthdays of my friends, otherwise I'm so very sorry. Whenever I become friends with someone, I always warn them that I forget birthdays rather easily so I apologize beforehand. Lol. :D

As for conversations, this is my domain. I remember everything I want to remember. Details too. =)

I had a job interview the other day...They asked me to remember a supervisors name...yea...no...FAIL....

I cant even remember the dates I worked what job...

Again its the information I deem irrelevant...:m059:

I had a job interview the other day...They asked me to remember a supervisors name...yea...no...FAIL....

I cant even remember the dates I worked what job...

Again its the information I deem irrelevant...:m059:
Lol yesss! Did you write it down somewhere? :>

Reminds me, I once had this teacher back in high school. I wanted to ask her something. I've known her for four years, yet for that day, I could not, for the life of me, remember her name. So I just went up and said 'Ms.' :m105:

Lol yesss! Did you write it down somewhere? :>

Reminds me, I once had this teacher back in high school. I wanted to ask her something. I've known her for four years, yet for that day, I could not, for the life of me, remember her name. So I just went up and said 'Ms.' :m105:

heheh I do that all the time...

no..i never write stuff down...ill just forget where I wrote it...ill have a visual of the paper and know i wrote it...but thats about it...

So, how do we improve our memory? What can we do help remember details?

So, how do we improve our memory? What can we do help remember details?

always asking the hard questions lol...I dont know...maybe we have to say a silly word to remember everything...

like when you meet some one they say their name is max so to remember it you say something funny to go with it...like max...maximum protection...errr that wasnt too funny...I remember things I laugh at..

Oh gee. Let's hope the supervisor will wear a name tag! Heh

Memory problems of the type described here aren't too serious...I actually consulted my doctor about mine. I have a difficult time remembering names, faces of people I have met, where I parked the car, left important papers, etc. Doctor told me it is when you can't remember what your car looked like when you are trying to find it, when you have forgotten close loved ones names and faces, com-pletely and consistently forgetting important appointments, that is likely to be serious memory loss. He said also the human brain was never meant to be saving the kind of information we try to shove into it.
Stuff I do remember: anything emotion laden. Anything I have touched-I have that touch memory too. In fact, my sisters say I must have grown up in a different household from them because of the difference in the things remembered.

Heh I have a good memory for some things, like people's faces, and important dates, but i'll forget where i last put my pen 5 minutes ago and be searching all over for it :D
i'm also really bad at those download sites where you have to wait 60 seconds or so before being able to download, i always just get sidetracked and forget, then have to wait again (and it happens again and again XD)

Heh I have a good memory for some things, like people's faces, and important dates, but i'll forget where i last put my pen 5 minutes ago and be searching all over for it :D
i'm also really bad at those download sites where you have to wait 60 seconds or so before being able to download, i always just get sidetracked and forget, then have to wait again (and it happens again and again XD)

I always forget where I put my pen, and you know what...nine times out of ten, its in my hair!!

I always forget where I put my pen, and you know what...nine times out of ten, its in my hair!!

LOL for me it's usually on the floor somewhere, i've knocked it over and haven't noticed XD

That is so cute Enty and May!

Memory problems of the type described here aren't too serious...I actually consulted my doctor about mine. I have a difficult time remembering names, faces of people I have met, where I parked the car, left important papers, etc. Doctor told me it is when you can't remember what your car looked like when you are trying to find it, when you have forgotten close loved ones names and faces, com-pletely and consistently forgetting important appointments, that is likely to be serious memory loss. He said also the human brain was never meant to be saving the kind of information we try to shove into it.
Stuff I do remember: anything emotion laden. Anything I have touched-I have that touch memory too. In fact, my sisters say I must have grown up in a different household from them because of the difference in the things remembered.

This is great ShanniShannon, thanks.

As for ways to improve our memory, Personally, I just have to have routines, or I'm a total ditz.

That is so cute Enty and May!

This is great ShanniShannon, thanks.

As for ways to improve our memory, Personally, I just have to have routines, or I'm a total ditz.

hehe *is a total ditz too*

Can guys be a "ditz" too? I'll stick with absentminded, it sounds like it goes with professor!

I can remember facts/statistics/citations short term, like for a test I have to take or a short term project I really care about. I have to practice a LOT if it's a long vocabulary list or something. But in a week or two I'll have totally forgotten the details. I've tried to learn historical dates over and over and over. PLEASE don't ask me when the U.S. civil war was (yes, I've always lived in the U.S.). The dates won't stay in my mind.

I also loose things all the time. It's such a hassle. I don't even notice they're missing until it's too late to find them sometimes. Coffee cups, hats, watches, scarves, cell phones, ipods, purses, keys...