I'm using the Eminem argument here:

"With the bullshit they pull, cause they full of shit too
When a dude's gettin bullied and shoots up his school
And they blame it on Marilyn (on Marilyn).. and the heroin
Where were the parents at? And look where it's at
Middle America, now it's a tragedy
Now it's so sad to see, an upper class ci-ty
Havin this happenin (this happenin).."

How about we stop blaming these kids for what happened to the girl and ask the simple question: Where were her parents at?

Why wasn't she getting help from her parents?

Sure, it's great if the school would help out their troubled kids but what it boils down to is that parent involvement is key. If she wasn't being watched enough or talked to enough, paid enough attention to by her parents it would have been easy for her to hang herself in her closet. Come on.

What about the parents of the girls' who bullied? What were they doing about this?

It's not the kids' fault that the girl hung herself, it's no one's fault but the kids'. It could have been prevented but it is the parents job to take care and provide for their child, not a couple of teenage girls at a school.

Heh. It's hard to divorce my response from the anger I feel. I was bullied in my grade school years, but the girls that tormented me certainly weren't as heartless or as demonic as the girls described in this article. People standing up to them was enough to put them back in their place. It makes me wonder, though, if given the right circumstances, their crimes and attitudes wouldn't have eventually cultivated this level of callousness and cruelty.

I firmly stand by the belief that it takes a village to raise a child, and that every one involved--the administration, each set of parents, the victim and her abusers-- had some hand in the outcome. Ultimately, though, I blame the administration. If bullying had been a problem in the past and they did little to nip the situation in the bud, it's little wonder that these girls felt untouchable. They had and have nothing to fear and their fearlessness and the lack of consequences is what gives them the power to escalate the matter into a situation like this.

I would really like to see them go through a criminal trial with the very real possibility of them facing jail time and have the administration crack down on bullying. If there are people being slammed into lockers or verbally accosted in the school hallways, does the school not have security cameras that can capture that crap? If you're shoving a fellow student around, and you're caught on a security tape, with or without earlier complaints of bullying, is that not enough grounds for suspension? Or at least an investigation by the administration?

Or perhaps bullying should have a serious strike against a student file. This shit should be reported to universities and colleges, or any form of consequences that will actually get people to think twice about what they're doing if its going on their permanent record and adversely affect their future.

Whatever is going to be done, I think that institutions need to take a serious approach to bullying. Make no mistake, I think parents do have a majority of the responsibility for how they raise their kids and how well those kids adjust to society, but it's still the institution's responsibility to be the net that catches the puck should things escape parental filters.

I'm just sorry that this is yet another potential human life that had to end prematurely because of the cruelty of its peers.

Last edited:
Reactions: enigma
Damn, why is always over a guy? Sexual competition among teenage girls is a powerful thing. Its all wrapped up in identity, social standing, self worth. The first insults that women use towards each other: "Youre a slut, you're fat, you're ugly, blah blah blah." It's so typical.

I don't know. This is similar to my tenth grade year, so I have mixed feelings. The girls went as far as to try and jump me walking home. I'm... stronger than I look, though. I'll leave it at that. Oh they terrorized me. (dog poo in my locker, hair pulling, rumors, playing on my phone, showing up at my house, name calling etc). My defense was to never let them see me react. It drove them crazy, i find most bullies want to see you cry or that their insults have teeth. I rather eat glass than to give anyone that satisfaction.

But as an adult, I don't hold any grudges. In fact, it made me stronger, because after the "fight" I felt like Superwoman and was proud. And I stopped being such a fearful person. In a strange way, I think it shaped and made me a more empathetic person as well as a stronger one. A lot of my fear and shyness died that day. I'm not sure why.

You want to know the most messed up part? After I made hamburger meat of this one girl's face, my former tormentors ( her toadies)complimented me on my "heart" and said "We gotta give you your props, you were a beast" asked if I want to hang out with them. Suffice it to say, my answer was an emphatic "I don't want your props, and you can shove your friendship"

Long story short. Life is tough and kids are very cruel. But I believe adversity is what defines your character. Rite of passage. I feel bad for the girl who killed herself. If only she had someone to tell her how TEMPORARY high school is. Or even one good friend to have her back.That wouldn't have happened on my watch if that was my friend. Or even if she wasn't my friend. I despise bullies.

Long story short. Life is tough and kids are very cruel. But I believe adversity is what defines your character. Rite of passage. I feel bad for the girl who killed herself. If only she had someone to tell her how TEMPORARY high school is. Or even one good friend to have her back.That wouldn't have happened on my watch if that was my friend. Or even if she wasn't my friend. I despise bullies.

I can imagine how terrible she feels ... it caused her to kill herself :(

Why are these people so mean :( :( :(

If they caused me to kill myself... I would hunt them and kill them slowly one by one!!!!!

Did this girl even make -any- effort to seek treatment for her suicidal tendencies?

It's her own responsibility to keep herself alive.

Did this girl even make -any- effort to seek treatment for her suicidal tendencies?

So one it to assume that being counseled while being harassed continuously equals no suicide?

It is ridiculous to think that one person's words compared to the constant comments from peers does not win out.

bullets arn't the only way to kill a person, and words are often far more powerful.

So one it to assume that being counseled while being harassed continuously equals no suicide?

It is ridiculous to think that one person's words compared to the constant comments from peers does not win out.

It's somewhere to start though. I mean, getting bullied at school -> ????? -> Suicide. The step in the middle could be the difference between life and death. By seeing a psych, friend, or her parents, she could have found inner strength or strength through companionship. That's the true tragedy in my point of view, this beautiful young girl was, for the most part, seemingly completely alone.

It's somewhere to start though. I mean, getting bullied at school -> ????? -> Suicide. The step in the middle could be the difference between life and death. By seeing a psych, friend, or her parents, she could have found inner strength or strength through companionship. That's the true tragedy in my point of view, this beautiful young girl was, for the most part, seemingly completely alone.

But by whose hand was she left alone? there is no one perpetator in this crime.

But by whose hand was she left alone? there is no one perpetator in this crime.

Exactly. More information is needed but, at this point, the most constructive thing you would be doing is playing a blame game. We should focus on making this not happen again; however unlikely a premise like that is.

God, why are they so popular? Why do they have friends? Did they torture people to submission into letting them become their "friends"? Something tells me no, they just have their own crew that don't give a fuck about anything or anyone else. This folks is why I strongly dislike my age group. I just wish Phoebe had told someone about the abuse. But then, the girls could've just treated her worse.

God. This just depressed me.

/F in overdrive
They are popular and have friends becuse of fear. People are generally afraid of being "outsider", especially in that age. They bully from fear of being bullied from somebody else. In cases like this, kids should tell anybody (parents, teachers...). Maybe help will not be quick, but the worst thing is to be quiet. I know it's hard to be sensitive in situation dominated by stupid and violent individuals, but school is not life. Every problem has solutions and there are more people ready to help than one can think.
Sad story. It makes me mad, really. Meaningless death.

If she didn't want to die she wouldn't have killed herself; and, who is to say the bullying had anything to do with the reason she killed herself, she didn't leave a suicide note from all of the articles I've read so logically how can we deduct the reason anyhow? Hmmm? These articles are biased, to a point where we are led to believe the bullies 'killed' her and that no one else did anything, that she didn't have prior mental conditions or a past history in ireland with abuse? There are flaws in this case that I don't think anyone is taking rationally.

If she didn't want to die she wouldn't have killed herself; and, who is to say the bullying had anything to do with the reason she killed herself, she didn't leave a suicide note from all of the articles I've read so logically how can we deduct the reason anyhow? Hmmm? These articles are biased, to a point where we are led to believe the bullies 'killed' her and that no one else did anything, that she didn't have prior mental conditions or a past history in ireland with abuse? There are flaws in this case that I don't think anyone is taking rationally.

We are all just postulating on the given information. It's obvious that the article is biased but we have nothing else to go on. She might have killed herself because she read global warming was a imminent threat and that years of pain was to come. If anyone took this information for face value, I would be kinda shocked.

Considering I was fairly regularly beat up and harassed for four years and I had a tied noose in my closet and would contemplate using it after exceptionally brutal days/weeks it's a pretty damn good bet that the harassment had something to do with it. I know I'm one case but it doesn't change the fact that people can crack and take the easiest route to end a problem...

Last edited:
Considering I was fairly regularly beat up and harassed for four years and I had a tied noose in my closet and would contemplate using it after exceptionally brutal days/weeks it's a pretty damn good bet that the harassment had something to do with it. I know I'm one case but it doesn't change the fact that people can crack and take the easiest route to end a problem...

That's not a logical basis for an argument; your personal experiences with matters do not prove that the reason she committed suicide was because of bullying and certainly doesn't explain why she did not seek treatment rather than choosing suicide.

That's not a logical basis for an argument; your personal experiences with matters do not prove that the reason she committed suicide was because of bullying and certainly doesn't explain why she did not seek treatment rather than choosing suicide.

It is known that to people in a distressed state of mind the actions which will cause short term relief will win out and be chosen over more constructive long term treatment.

Simply put irrational people will make choses not based on logic and therefore cannot be put through the logic box of: If X happens, then I should should do Y.