Bullying Epidemic | INFJ Forum

Bullying Epidemic

#@&5&49

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
Inf?
I just read the article below on the Workplace Bullying Institute website and was wondering if anyone would care to discuss the pervasive spread of bullying and the Healthy Workplace Bill that some groups are advocating for.

Growing Push to Halt Workplace Bullying
by Sam Hananel, Associated Press, March 1, 2013

Margaret Fiester is no shrinking violet, but she says working for her former boss was a nightmare. “One day I didn’t do something right and she actually laid her hands on me and got up in my face and started yelling, ‘Why did you do that?’” said Fiester, who worked as a legal assistant for an attorney. Fiester doesn’t have to worry about those tirades anymore, but she hears lots of similar stories in her current role as operations manager at the Society for Human Resource Management, where she often fields questions about the growing issue of workplace bullying.

On-the-job bullying can take many forms, from a supervisor’s verbal abuse and threats to cruel comments or relentless teasing by a co-worker. And it could become the next major battleground in employment law as a growing number of states consider legislation that would let workers sue for harassment that causes physical or emotional harm.

“I believe this is the new claim that employers will deal with. This will replace sexual harassment,” said Sharon Parella, a management-side employment lawyer in New York. “People who oppose it say these laws will force people to be polite at work. But you can no longer go to work and act like a beast and get away with it.”

Many companies already recognize workplace bullying as a problem that can sap morale, lead to increased employee turnover and even affect the bottom line. Half the employers in a 2011 survey by the management association reported incidents of bullying in their workplace, and about a fourth of human resource professionals themselves said they had been bullied.

At St. Anthony North Hospital outside of Denver, human resources director Robert Archibold says most of the bullying incidents he sees are peer-to-peer. In a recent case, one worker got offended by a co-worker’s remark and suggested they “take it out to the parking lot.” The offending worker was suspended under the hospital’s anti-bullying policy, which has been in place for more than a decade.

“Hostile work environments, threats, bullying can come from anywhere,” he said. “You can’t tell by looking at someone who it will be.” One reason the issue has attracted more attention in recent years is that parents who deal with school bullying realize it can happen in the workplace, too. Some employers have put into place anti-bullying policies, but advocacy groups want to go even further. They have been urging states to give legal rights to workers who do not already fit into a protected class based on race, gender or national origin.

More than a dozen states – including New York and Massachusetts – have considered anti-bullying laws in the past year that would allow litigants to pursue lost wages, benefits and medical expenses and compel employers to prevent an “abusive work environment.”

Gary Namie, a social psychologist who co-founded the Bellingham, Wash.-based Workplace Bullying Institute in 1997, is among those leading the charge, along with labor unions and civil rights groups. He says the economic downturn has made bullying even worse and argues that passage of the laws would give employers more incentive to crack down on bad behavior in the workplace. “People are trapped; they don’t have the same alternative jobs to jump to,” Namie said. “They are staying longer in these pressured, stress-filled, toxic work environments.”

Business groups have strongly opposed the measures, arguing they would open the floodgates to frivolous lawsuits. “We would look at a bill like this as overreaching,” said Marc Freedman, executive director of labor law policy for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. He said the bill would punish an employer for acts of its employees that it may not be able to anticipate. But Parella, the employment lawyer, thinks it’s only a matter of time before states begin passing these laws and bullying issues become a major factor in workplace litigation.“Once it passes in a few states, there will be a chain reaction,” she said, noting that other countries such as England, Ireland and Sweden already have laws addressing workplace harassment.

In Massachusetts, the National Association of Government Employees Local 282 has been one the first unions in the country to include an anti-bullying clause in collective bargaining agreements. “From a labor perspective, we want there to be remedies in place for corrections to be made, not to yell, scream, threaten or treat the person basically like a slave,” said Greg Sorozan, president of NAGE, which represents about 12,000 public employees. In 2008, Sorozan succeeded in placing “mutual respect” provisions in labor contracts with the state that say harassment, abusive language and bullying behavior will not be tolerated in the workplace. It allows workers to raise concerns with managers and file a grievance if not satisfied.

Sorozan said the provision recently helped workers in a state office who complained about a manager who acted bizarrely, leering at employees over cubicles and randomly punishing those who questioned him by reassigning them or refusing to let them take vacations. After the union complained, the manager was eventually forced out. The management association survey found that 56 percent of companies have some kind of anti-bullying policy, usually contained in an employee handbook or code of conduct. Most said their response to bullying allegations depends on the circumstances but could include suspension, termination, reassignment or mandatory anger management training.

Employers say the vast majority of bullying incidents are verbal abuse, such as shouting, swearing and name-calling, along with malicious gossip, rumors and lies. Bullying through technology, such as Facebook or other social media, accounted for about 1 in 5 incidents, the survey found. “It’s usually the manager or senior executive who’s just a complete out-of-control jerk,” Fiester said. “Everyone’s going to be walking around on eggshells around somebody like that. You’re afraid to make mistakes, you’re afraid to speak up, you’re afraid to challenge.”

If the bully is a senior manager or CEO, resolving a complaint can be tricky for a low-level human resources employee. “It might be a little bit difficult to discipline the CEO,” said Fiester, the human resources adviser. “You are really walking a tightrope.” She suggests approaching someone else in senior management who might be in a better position to approach the boss.

The anti-bullying legislation mentioned in this article is called the Healthy Workplace Bill. You can help enact it in your state by helping our State Coordinators. Visit the national campaign website, click on your state and see what is happening this legislative session or in years before.

Last edited:
The place I currently work is a big change from where I used to. I came from an office environment into a retail environment (Thank you Obama). Anyway I hope its short lived. Sure I have had other retail jobs as hobbies while between my chosen career jobs. Long story short I am currently working for a large hardware chain. I wont mention the name for obvious reasons. Long story short working there is...well the only word I can use is terrorism. They dont "manage" I dont think anyone there knows how to really manage. Instead their tactics get get work done is, "Do it or be held accountable." Never mind where you are going to find the time to do everything else you are going to be held accountable for. I have had all sorts of jobs in my life. I was a landscaper foreman, built patios, I did roofing for a short while etc and then got into the computer world where I intend to stay but for right now, had to take a job with this hardware place. I applied there because I thought it would be a little fun, I like tools etc.

Nothing could have prepared me for this place. Its run worse than the government which I didnt think possible. And not just a little worse. I dislike this place on a level thats hard to describe. But no, I get the bullying thing.

Reactions: Kgal and #@&5&49
Below is from The Healthy Workplace Bill (HWB) website.

Quick Facts About the Healthy Workplace Bill

What the HWB Does for Employers

Precisely defines an "abusive work environment" -- it is a high standard for misconduct
Requires proof of health harm by licensed health or mental health professionals
Protects conscientious employers from vicarious liability risk when internal correction and prevention mechanisms are in effect
Gives employers the reason to terminate or sanction offenders
Requires plaintiffs to use private attorneys
Plugs the gaps in current state and federal civil rights protections

What the HWB Does for Workers

Provides an avenue for legal redress for health harming cruelty at work
Allows you to sue the bully as an individual
Holds the employer accountable
Seeks restoration of lost wages and benefits
Compels employers to prevent and correct future instances

What the HWB Does Not Do

Involve state agencies to enforce any provisions of the law
Incur costs for adopting states
Require plaintiffs to be members of protected status groups (it is "status-blind")
Use the term "workplace bullying"
Involve state agencies to enforce any provisions of the law
Incur costs for adopting states
Require plaintiffs to be members of protected status groups (it is "status-blind")
Use the term "workplace bullying"

I thought this was fascinating, "The 2007 WBI-Zogby survey results showed when employers are told about the bullying in their organizations, nearly half (44%) do nothing, while 18% actually worsen the situation by retaliating against the individual(s) who reported it." With all the press about bullying in recent years I think more recent studies have been conducted. I was just reading an article (I wish I could remember where) that reported there were more women bullies than men. Here are some of the findings from the 2007 study.

• 37% of workers have been bullied: 13% currently and 24% previously
  • Most bullies are bosses (72%)
  • More perpetrators are men (60%) than are women(40%)
  • Most Targets (57%) are women
  • Women bullies target women (71%); men target men (54%)
  • Bullying is 4 times more prevalent than illegal discriminatory harassment
  • 62% of employers ignore the problem
  • 45% of Targets suffer stress-related health problems
  • 40% of bullied individuals never tell their employers
  • Only 3% of bullied people file lawsuits

I've seen gossip and rumors, lies, keeping employees in the dark, and backdoor or behind the door secretive and underhanded actions cause more psychological abuse in a workplace than what is said or done directly. As long as money and productivity supersedes every other human social and ethical value, employers will always find ways to justify poor, dismissive, and neglectful treatment of workers especially if it's always about results, "productivity" and profit. You put people's personal dignity last, and ego and self interest always first, then that's what you get. That's probably why people are not that nice, because they realize it doesn't get them very far and it only allows people to take more advantage. And despite the percentages, women are in many cases much worse in their use of gossip and rumor to destroy trust or any feeling of stability or safety at work. They are the best at using social capital to exclude or include and experts at social manipulation.

Reactions: #@&5&49
The list below is from a lesson designed to teach children how to identify the difference between bullying behavior and respectful behavior. It identifies the bullying behavior and then lists it's respectful counterpart. I'm sure it isn't exhaustive, but it's one of the best identification charts I have found. It is available as a PDF from here Healthy Environment / Bully Prevention Chart.

• Gossip - Fact, Truth, Quiet, Silence
  • Start or spread rumors - Fact, Truth, Quiet, Silence
  • Character assassination - Compliment, Praise, Encouragement
  • Taunt - Respect, Encouragement, Praise
  • Harass - Support, Assist, Help
  • Ridicule - Praise, Encouragement, Respect
  • Sabotage - Aid, Fix, Help
  • Scapegoat - Applaud, Commend, Praise
  • Victimize - Aid, Assist, Help, Protect
  • Blame - Forgiveness, Absolve
  • Physically threaten someone - Peacefulness, Leave Alone, Ignore, Calm, Non-Violent
  • Mob or gang up on someone - Avoid, Ignore, Leave Alone, Tolerate
  • Humiliate - Honor, Praise, Encouragement
  • Tease in a hurtful way or use put-downs - Make Happy, Please, Soothe, Encourage
  • Insult a person's race, gender, appearance, socioeconomic status, religion, family, ability level or sexual orientation - Tolerate, Praise, Compliment, Respect
  • Exclude someone in a hurtful and/or mean way - Accept, Include, Welcome
  • Discriminate - Acceptance, Indifference, Impartial, Tolerance
  • Steal or deface someone’s personal property - Give, Receive, Fix, Mend, Repair, Respect Ownership
  • Use coercion to get another person to assault/hurt someone - Leave Alone
  • Use the Internet to harm, threaten, or harass (cyber-bullying) - Help, Protect, Relieve, Respect, Leave Alone
  • Career assassination - Compliment, Praise, Respect, Tolerate
  • Hazing - Respectful, non-violent initiation
  • Intimidate - Assist, Encourage, Help
  • Excessive monitoring - Moderation, Reasonable, Constructive
  • Excessive criticism - Moderation, Reasonable, Constructive Respectful Criticism
  • Unreasonable expectations - Logical, Practical, Pragmatic, Realistic, Sensible

Last edited:
[MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION] agree. I think it's very ironic that we teach children not to engage these behaviors but yet we permit these behaviors as adults, to the point of encouraging and justifying them because as everyone loves to say today, "that's just how it is. you just have to do what you gotta do to survive." It's a contradictory message.

[MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION] agree. I think it's very ironic that we teach children not to engage these behaviors but yet we permit these behaviors as adults, to the point of encouraging and justifying them because as everyone loves to say today, "that's just how it is. you just have to do what you gotta do to survive." It's a contradictory message.

With the exception of serial bullies (people unwilling to change) I have found many people (myself included) do not even realize they are using bullying behavior. This is not to say that ignorance is an excuse, but sometimes raising awareness is all that is needed. In my lifetime I can count on one hand the environments (employment and/or social) where I have not witnessed bullying, and that's being generous. That's very disheartening :(

With the exception of serial bullies (people unwilling to change) I have found many people (myself included) do not even realize they are using bullying behavior. This is not to say that ignorance is an excuse, but sometimes raising awareness is all that is needed. In my lifetime I can count on one hand the environments (employment and/or social) where I have not witnessed bullying, and that's being generous. That's very disheartening :(
My main issue is that whether we are aware or not, we are still responsible for our actions. We can't keep telling kids not to do or engage in particular behavior but then have that behavior be pervasively acceptable as normal adult behavior. What right then would we have to hold children accountable if as adults, we are inexcusably exempt from suffering any consequences for perpetrating those same actions? Just a note, I'm not equating childhood with adulthood since of course, they are not the same. But lack of awareness doesn't really justify our actions. Just because we are not aware something is wrong, doesn't make it any less ok to keep perpetrating it. Abusive behavior is not limited to what people do, but what they don't do, including a basic lack of consideration of other people's personal dignity or feelings which is not really something that requires rocket science to acknowledge. It's a matter of choice.

[MENTION=1669]Maven[/MENTION], I have seen many environments where adults say bullying is wrong yet behave in this way and face no consequences. Children interpret this as, oh I see, it's okay to do this but then you just have to say it's wrong. That's the old, do what I say not what I do line. As far as ignorance not being an excuse for bullying, you're absolutely right, it isn't an excuse and it isn't rocket science, and I believe in taking action, and the action I choose is to educate, myself and others.

I believe in the case where I work its not bullying on an individual level. Bullying is the tactic used across the board to get things done rather then implement actual management techniques that work. Perhaps it started out as a filler for lack of training and then became a culture.

Honestly its sickening. People are treated like children. While the truth is some need to be due to ignorant hiring practices. Basically they will hire you if you pass a drug test so obviously you get a few people that only expect a pay check and to not actually have to work. I think the majority would do the job asked of them if anyone could tell them what it actually is though. Maybe this is retail in general though and if so I am so sad for people that have to do it. I have had other retail jobs in the past though and none came anywhere close to the culture of terrorism this place uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze and #@&5&49
I believe in the case where I work its not bullying on an individual level. Bullying is the tactic used across the board to get things done rather then implement actual management techniques that work. Perhaps it started out as a filler for lack of training and then became a culture.

Honestly its sickening. People are treated like children. While the truth is some need to be due to ignorant hiring practices. Basically they will hire you if you pass a drug test so obviously you get a few people that only expect a pay check and to not actually have to work. I think the majority would do the job asked of them if anyone could tell them what it actually is though. Maybe this is retail in general though and if so I am so sad for people that have to do it. I have had other retail jobs in the past though and none came anywhere close to the culture of terrorist this place uses.
yeah, I think it's really a lack of good leadership skills and the belief that if you don't bully or at least instill a fear or sense of terror in workers, then they wouldn't do their job. Long term, that kind of motivation I would think leads to mediocrity and the sense that as an employee you become responsible for every employers fears that they won't be respected unless they instill the fear of God in you, and that you won't do your job unless someone is terrorizing you into submission. On the other hand, I don't believe most organizations are like this. There are clearly many companies who know their employees will do their job as expected and even more, if they're treated well and given incentives rather than beyond the fear of losing their job. But in those companies, it's more likely that there are enough monetary and material resources for the company to offer incentives and the social environment is welcoming, encouraging, and inclusive. When you're treated as just a "hired help", it's not the same as being treated as a "valued employee". As an employee, I don't want to be promised the world by an employer or believe they are responsible for my entire wellbeing. I know, ultimately, that's my responsibility. But I know that as an employee, I would likely feel more committed and motivated if I am treated respectfully, not just outwardly but feel as if I have some input and independence and there's trust in my ability and capacity for growth, a fair amount of effective training, than feel that if I am not being demeaned into submission or following a script, that I can't do my job well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nixie
yeah, I think it's really a lack of good leadership skills and the belief that if you don't bully or at least instill a fear or sense of terror in workers, then they wouldn't do their job. Long term, that kind of motivation I would think leads to mediocrity and the sense that as an employee you become responsible for every employers fears that they won't be respected unless they instill the fear of God in you, and that you won't do your job unless someone unless someone is terrorizing you into submission. On the other hand, I don't believe most organizations are like this. There are clearly many companies who know their employees will do their job as expected and even more, if they're treated well and given incentives rather than beyond the fear of losing their job. But in those companies, it's more likely that there are enough resources for the company to offer incentives and the social environment is welcoming, encouraging, and inclusive. When you're treated as just a "hired help", it's not the same as being treated as a "valued employee". As an employee, I don't want to be promised the world by an employer or believe they are responsible for my entire wellbeing. I know, ultimately, that's my responsibility. But I know that as an employee, I would likely feel more committed and motivated if I am treated respectfully, not just outwardly but feel as if I have some input and independence and trust in my ability, than feel that if I am not following a script, that I can't do my job well.

Think you nailed it.

Yet again, I am always a strong advocate for unions. When I was a union steward, I fielded all sorts of complaints. My co-worker (and bestie!) who had an office next to mine was an EEO counselor, so sometimes we would do a dual consultation on a particular worker's issue(s). More often than not, co-worker to co-worker, people need to learn to talk to each other. When there were power issues, a supervisor to subordinate, there was normally a huge lack of trust that needs to be resolved before anything can move forward, if at all. Awful managers have a way of being truly awful. I noticed that the overly sensitive person would be offended or hurt about something and rather than acting like a working professional, they would harbor this ill will and hurt which would build to a toxic level and then, no matter what was said, all they saw was bullying. It was unreal the way every little thing was dissected and some type of evil intent assumed for every word or action. The overly sensitive person was hell to deal with because they could rarely be moved away from their opinion that the other person was "evil". It seemed once they got hurt that the idea that they were a working professional themselves didn't cross their mind and they refused to be a part of the solution. I find that it is best to deal with unpleasantness upfront. If something bothers you, say something. It is really as simple as that. It is easier said than done but if you want to build a good work relationship, you have to first realize, it isn't friendship, it is work. I think more often than not, people lose sight of that.

One of the things the Healthy Workplace Bill advocates for is the employers responsibility in addressing and dealing with abusive work environments and coworker bullying. [MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION], I don't know if you live in one of the states that has adopted some form of anti-bullying laws. You can check this link to find out http://healthyworkplacebill.org/.

One of the things the Healthy Workplace Bill advocates for is the employers responsibility in addressing and dealing with abusive work environments and coworker bullying. [MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION], I don't know if you live in one of the states that has adopted some form of anti-bullying laws. You can check this link to find out http://healthyworkplacebill.org/.

Thanks I appreciate the info. If I end up having to work with this company longer than I expect...I may try to figure out what I can do about it. Otherwise I am keeping my head down and getting through the hell of it.

When I was in college I occasionally worked for a temp agency. One time they sent me to an electronics factory where I met this cute little bit of a girl, she couldn't have been more than 5' tall and weighing in at 100 lbs. soaking wet, she was maybe 25 years old but I don't think she was even that old. She also wasn't white, whereas the majority of employees and all managers were. She was really nice and I liked her immensely. The temp agency had me working there for a couple of months so I got to know the dynamics there. I'll never forget this experience. This girl, along with quite a few other women, were having some serious sexual harassment issues and it was glaringly obvious, at least to me. Over the months that I worked there she and I became friends and she confided in me that she went to HR and complained about what was happening to her. HR told her she shouldn't take things so personally, but in good faith they gave the people who were inflicting this on her a slap on the hand and told them she was the one who reported it. As a result, the sexual harassment escalated and the retaliation and bullying that ensued would have brought down the strongest person. In other words, they terrorized this girl. By the time I started working there she was terrified to make any waves. This was a company that had zero tolerance harassment posters in every managers office and proclaimed to be one of the leading manufacturing companies that had no problems when it came to harassment in the workplace. The hypocrisy was so thick it was hard to breathe.

After being there a few months this company offered me a permanent position. I wouldn't even consider it. I told the temp agency I didn't want to continue working there and to find another position for me. As soon as I had another position I went to the HR department of that company to inform them of what was happening within their own company. The attitude I received from the HR manager was classic. She stood there under the zero tolerance poster telling me the problem was not as bad as I thought it was. Her body language and tone of voice spoke volumes. I could see she was using every intimidating tactic she knew. The more things I brought to her attention the more intimidating she became. Needless to say, she took no action and saw what I was telling her to be no more than an inconvenience she was compelled to deal with. After I left the company I filed a written complaint with the department of labor listing everything that happened to that girl and everything I witnessed and experienced myself while I was there. The company of course denied everything, anything else would have been an admission of guilt. A few years later I ran into that same girl from the factory. She thanked me and said a lot of things changed in that company because of what I did and she was treated very well now. This is one story that ended positively, however, there are many that end negatively.

Reactions: Gaze
This topic makes me wonder how courageous I am. It's all well and good for me to write about it, but would I do anything about if I saw someone being mistreated or would I retreat for fear of reprisal? I know my answer and not proud of it. It's usually easier to discuss an issue anonymously than to do anything about it. Maybe, it's a matter of feeling powerless, that you think that if you speak up, you won't be taken seriously or that you will lose other opportunities. It's tough. Hats off to you [MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION] for doing what you did.

Unfortunately, there is the assumption that some kind of sword of justice will swoop down and behead offenders or something. In real life, it takes people willing to make a stand and SAY something to make a difference. I can't tell you how many times I would tell workers they needed to give me something or be willing to come forward for me to fight on their behalf Don't get me wrong, when we had sit downs with management (weekly at times) we would bring up issues with certain supervisors and such but it doesn't have the same impact as someone willing to go on record and file a complaint. However, the reticence is understandable. The process can be arduous and extensive. You have to be willing to document, document, document. Further, you have to be willing to be part of the solution. Like I stated before, in order to make progress, the injured party has to be able to let go of the things that happened to embrace the changes that others are trying to make for them. I found that many times a situation that had gotten to the point of toxicity, that it wasn't worth it to salvage and was best to advocate for some kind of removal or transfer so the injured party could "get a clean slate" so to speak and away from the stress of the negative working environment. I have also encountered situations such as [MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION] described, although not on a sexual level, more like a supervisor's intent to deliberately harass an employee. Those are indeed, very difficult to handle and can break down someone fast. I ended up filing like 8 or so grievances against one supervisor for their attempts to bother a certain set of employees, it was unbelievable some of the things this supervisor did. I would just like to point out one thing, while I understand the "rah, rah, rah, lets all denounce bullies" mentality (not making fun of it) there is a common element to most disagreements, which is unintended results. I have found that you must be aware and open to the idea that, even if you mean no harm, you can say or do something that can have unintended results and someone feels hurt or angry. If you keep that in mind, it naturally follows that you will understand that you may be feeling hurt and angry because someone's words and actions toward you had unintended results. That whole "two-way" street thing.

@ Maven, thanks for saying that. That was actually a legal battle that went on for years. Yeah, it is tough to take action and a lot of people choose not to and I know all too well why. It is a precarious position at best and anyone who does take something like that on needs to have a good support system, laws on their side, all their ducks in row, and a clear idea of what they're getting involved in.

The Healthy Workplace Bill appeals to me, however, I don't know how much teeth these laws actually have. I also think each state is interpreting and adopting the bill differently. I just started reading about it so I have much to learn. When sexual harassment laws were incorporated people were still committing sexual harassment in the workplace, same thing with segregation. It's going to be a long time before people accept the idea of bully-free environments, and it's going to be even longer before they adopt them. I went to an education seminar on the topic of bullying, one of the speakers said, "if we're going to call ourselves an evolved society, maybe we should start acting like one".