MBTI Perceptions/Truths

arbygil

Passing through
Nov 29, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've always wondered this. And before I go any further no, I'm not calling anyone in particular out. If you see yourself in this, though, or if you see someone else in this, then that's on you.

But here's my dilemma; would you consider MBTI to be based on your perceptions on who you are, or would you consider MBTI the classification of how others perceive you? Because, honestly, the problems I frequently see when it comes to MBTI are either due to an individual deceiving themselves (meaning: Not knowing who they are, but feeling they're "X" or "Y" though people see them another way) or they're deceiving someone else (knowing who they are, but pretending to be someone else to gain acceptance, or what have you).

The internet is notorious for this, actually. And I think about this when folks say they are "different" online than they are in real life. Why is this? My only conclusion is that people are either afraid to show their real personality online (the, "you wouldn't like the real me" phenomenon), or they're fearful of others' perceptions of them in real life (the, "if only you knew the real me" phenomenon).

Why be fearful? Why live in dichotomy between who you are online and who you are in the real world? I think this especially confuses (frustrates?) me if someone says they act like X in the real world but act like Y online, but they want someone to guess their MBTI. How can someone possibly type the real you, if you can't be the real you?

Really, it comes down to this: Be authentic. For good or for ill, the more you be yourself - type notwithstanding - the happier you'll be. Who cares how others perceive you? Who cares if you are fighting it within yourself? Be the "you" you are.

Caveat lector: Of course, if you start being yourself and your true self is an idiot, then...expect people to roll their eyes whenever you appear. :D:m129:

So, teel dear: Is MBTI your perception of yourself, or is MBTI the perception of others who know you? And if those two perceptions are different, why are they?

The reason I for one put on the persona I do online, is because, well, to tell you is self destructive. But I want to project myself a certain way, so that in another part of my life will reflect that essentially. In real life, I'm a very cold and judgemental person, who's very almost maudlin like, very depressed and a bit of a kill joy. This is not purposeful in a sense, its just how I show myself to the world, but on the inside I am a agreeable person, as I believe this entire MBTI fiasco has shown me to be. I first declared myself as an INFJ, but when the entire community said I wasn't, I tried desperately over the course of months and months to see myselfs from their perspective time and time again. but at this point, I realize you guys are just wrong. There are specific principles about myself that prove my infjness. (Off topic, but I figure here if anywhere is best to tell it.) I put on my ENFP person on Tinychat and on the forum, because an ENFP is what I've always aspired to be. Even since I was a little kid, I looked up to my ENFP sister and tried to mimic her in anyway I possibly could. I think though, I am more a negative ENFP, if an ENFP at all. I don't smile and show monkeys IRL, I don't go up and greet people irl. If you were to see me IRL, you would see a loner sitting in the corner giving short abrupt answers about questions asked to me. This is usually misinterpreted as me being a mean person, but really I'm too busy pondering to care.

So I created a plan about 3 or 4 years ago, that I've been surely and steadfastly carrying out nonstop, of attempting to be an ENFP irl. Again, it hasn't worked well in the past, but I see that as no reason to stop me from still trying. I know that if I gain self confidence to voice my opinions on how I feel the group feels etc, if I gain the confidence to stand up for other people, etc. then it will spread to my real life. I have been attempting this entire time to only show "negative functions" on the forum, because I have been trying to work on myself to bring better harmony to my group IRL.

That at least, is the major reason why I am the way I am on the forum.

And I honestly though look at myself how others see me, but if that doesn't hold any ground I toss that crap.

And I've been considering making a video with me and my ENFP sister, because then the differences will just be... astounding.

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
Well, ofcourse it is important how other see me.But, let's face it, our internal processes can only we analyze and understand. For me, MBTI or use of cognitive processes are at first place my tool for me,for my dealing with myself and people around me. Nobody can better know me than myself.I am my closest person, I am person that know everything about me. Well, me and God:)

So, asking approval from other in mbti terms is wrong in my opinion. Yes, i can see other as ESFJ, INTP or whatever, but it is only guess...If one is honest with self, one is the best analyzer for self...

The MBTI describes how I perceive myself very accurately. I may come across differently to other people but, like any human, my personality is complex and different environments and people reveal different facets. I don't consider my online personality a mask of any kind. In fact, somethings about my online personality are very much like how I am with friends. I also think the various types are stereotyped to extremes online and it places pressure on some people to prove that they are authentic.

The MBTI describes how I perceive myself very accurately. I may come across differently to other people but, like any human, my personality is complex and different environments and people reveal different facets. I don't consider my online personality a mask of any kind. In fact, somethings about my online personality are very much like how I am with friends. I also think the various types are stereotyped to extremes online and it places pressure on some people to prove that they are authentic.

I think this is an extremely wise point. But I think the pressure is on that own person, and how they *think* they should be to be accepted. It's a perceived pressure, than a real one.

I wish it weren't so. I wish people could be who they are, rather than who they want to be. But I guess we all wish we were Supermen or Wonder Women.

:D Yes, yes. Jedi knights are da coolest, too! And I want a purple light saber!

You've got to have crush on Yoda...and Luke...and Obi Van...even on Leia:)

I am a Jedi Knight.

That's how I am percieved and how I percieve myself.

Reactions: Jana
MBTI got me to looking at myself in facets I hadn't dared to before. I was almost sure I would get thinking type, as before then, while my Fe hadn't gone unnurtured, per se, I was afraid in general to embrace my feeling side. This conflict played a big role in my self esteem problems methinks. Before I go too off-topic with this, I believe that MBTI is majorly influenced by two things: whether or not they can fully accept or understand certain facets of their personality or their personality as a whole. In this respect, I believe MBTI is more largely influenced by self-perception as opposed to outside influence.

As for online personality being different from offline, I con only speak for myself and I would like to be more extraverted to new acquaintances and be more spontaneous. The grass is always greener, I suppose. Being online takes away a good bit of that "not totally knowing you" anxiousness, and I can feel less guarded, if you get what I'm getting at.

So, teel dear: Is MBTI your perception of yourself, or is MBTI the perception of others who know you?
Type is not based on perception, it's based on core motivations which inherit the perceptions. A person can be INFJ and appear just about any other type, to himself and to others, but what grounds him as an INFJ is his cognitive function hierarchy, which function is most stimulating/natural to use, etc. This is difficult to lie about to anyone. Although there's the case when sometimes a person correctly identifies their source of stimulation, but the mistype comes from a poor understanding of cognitive functions (e.g. someone identifying their source of stimulation as "Ni" when it is actually "Si".)

I do not know others' perception of me. I'm sure some people would type me as ISTP, some INFP, some INTJ, but this does not change my core motivations, i.e., even though I exhibit ISTP behavior at times, I am not stimulated by Ti or Se, I am drained by both functions. On the other hand, my "perception" of myself tells me I'm INFP, because I often exhibit behavior that is similar to other INFPs or INTPs, but the main source of stimulation for me is Ni and secondarily, Fe, and this is how I know I am INFJ*.

*This is a perception in itself, of course, and can be deceived, but there's enough evidence in my behavior (both "real" and "fake") to claim this is true for myself and others who are familiar with MBTI.

And if those two perceptions are different, why are they?
Complexes, fear of being excluded from the group, insecurity, etc.

Why be fearful? Why live in dichotomy between who you are online and who you are in the real world? I think this especially confuses (frustrates?) me if someone says they act like X in the real world but act like Y online, but they want someone to guess their MBTI. How can someone possibly type the real you, if you can't be the real you?
Something that might be marginally related to this:

Because [INFJs] are so perceptive of everyone's unique emotional states and responses, our mode of interaction is different with different people. This can trap us into thinking sometimes that we're being “fake,” when in reality we're merely adapting to the emotional needs of the people around us. Group situations are vastly different than one-on-one situations, and every situation varies depending on who it is we're dealing with. A normally subdued [INFJ] can become quite animated in certain group situations. This can lead to others (and the [INFJ] him/herself) to think that the [INFJ] is being “fake.”
Source (It's Socionics, but it's pretty close, if not exactly it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jn56uytrx
MBTI is wholeheartedly based on the perceptions of self but I also think that it can explain why people perceive you to be a certain way.

:D Yes, yes. Jedi knights are da coolest, too! And I want a purple light saber!

moz-screenshot-1.png

Attachments

• star-wars-mace-windu-confidence.jpg
    star-wars-mace-windu-confidence.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: jyrffw54
Self inflection and the ability to understand yourself is a skill just like anything else. Some will be much better then this then others. I will say in the end you are your own best judge. However, somes judgement will not always be clear or sound and thus will not grasp at their type correctly.

In a minority of cases, others will type you correctly and you will type yourself wrong. I am inclined to think though, that most individuals will type themselves correctly.

The reason we choose to differentiate between MBTI and JCF is because MBTI is a shallow indicator of behavioral preferences that can change at any moment or any time.

Kiersey explanation of Myers Briggs:

He states that Myers was a Layman (verbatim from his book), and goes further to clarify what MBTI was supposed to mean (his interpretation of her work)

Introversion = Reserved
Extraverted = Expressive
Sensing = Observant
Intuition = Introspective
Thinking = Tough-Minded
Feeling = Friendly
Judging = Scheduling
Perceiving = Probing

So if you’re INFJ = Reserved, Introspective, Friendly, and Scheduling.

Under these terms, someone like Hitler (many think he’s INFJ) wouldn’t fit into the behavioral of INFJ; however, in JCF Hitler actually matches the cognition of INFJ (or someone would say ENFJ).

As far as people pretending to be other types: Happens ALL the time. We have a member who everyone believes is an xSFP, but she refuses to believe it (or rather accept it) because people look down on those types. It’s pretty sad how people think others are stupid for being S types, or not capable of logical thought if they are an F type. The person didn’t care how well the arguments were in place...she could not accept it because her “reptuation” (as she put it) would be under attack. I kinda understood that, but I also thought it was stupid to be so worked up over it.

We have an INFP who tests ENFP on every aspect. She changed her test results to reflect what other INFPs were getting because she didn’t like the “Reptuation” that ENFPs have for not being deep and introspective as an INFP.

It’s just sad, really. If people were more open to each other than BASHING other types (even if they’ve had a bad experience with one) then others would feel more open to being themselves instead of the fear of being rejected.

There are SOOO many ISFJs on here, but it would be hard for any of them to even WANT to change to ISFJ for the fear of being looked down upon as less because of the INFJ circle jerk going on here.

:m142:

EDIT: I always say to people studying typology that they need to realize that we all do the same things for different reasons, and different things for the same reason.

Last edited:
Originally when I took the MBTI I typed myself INTJ and it seemed very appropriate, now I realize that I was taking the test based on how I think others perceive me. I'm not really good with cognitive functions but the difference is in the Fe Ti vs. Te Fi, though I'm not exactly sure what that means. If what I'm thinking is right then I always found Fe to be a weak aspect of my personality and never wanted others to see that. I have always had a lot empathy for others, but for whatever reason I don't know, I just don't like to show that "weakness".

The idea of MBTI is to become a better "me", so there would be no point in not being myself. I actually find it easier to be myself online and am more willing to be open with complete strangers. That is just my subjective opinion though.

What I don't understand is why we bash any type. Why is it that people don't want to be S? Aren't there perks to that just as there are perks to being an N?

There are no greater perks to be an S vs N. EVERYONE has issues; everyone has problems. I've said it I don't know how many times before - be who you are, whether Sensor or Intuitive. Just be the best *you*, that's all.

Please, no type wars. But recognize that yes, you *could* be a Sensor or you *could* be a Rational/Thinker type. You could be any of those things. INFJ is just a preference, that's all. No more, no less.

Personality type can't really be decided better than by the person self. Everybody can pretend and everybody can appear different than from what is natural, there are so many things to concider, that, usually, nobody but the person self can know. So in most cases I think it would be the persons own perception.

But ones own perception could very well be affected a lot by other's perceptions... so I don't

I also think the various types are stereotyped to extremes online and it places pressure on some people to prove that they are authentic.

yes. and add to that, it is often forgot that mbti is not black and white, but each preference is a continuum and this makes for a lot of differences within each of the types.

Other people's perceptions of me feed into my perception of myself. At the end of the day though, others' perceptions might be nothing more than a fragment of who I am - there's only so much other people can tell you about yourself. It's up to me to take all of those fragments, consider my experiences and motivations, and judge my type based on who I see myself to be. So I think each person is - ideally - the best judge of their type. However, our ability to ascertain our type relies on our ability to be self-aware and on an understanding of type/functions, which some of us might fall short on.

I also find the "be who you are" and "different IRL/online" thought very interesting. On one hand it makes sense that there needs to be a certain consistency between one's IRL/online self if one wants to be authentic. However, I also think this forum is a very specific environment. There are qualities that don't get called for and sides of people that might not emerge because there's no need/space for them here, thus driving the IRL/online split.

I find this thread to be beyond needless this comes arcoss as two things. 1. a shot at those who having trouble finding their type. Or refuse to go with a type that people think they are. and 2. A way to stop conflict that is perfectly normal. Not all types are going to get along.

I'm well aware some people aren't who they really are when online. Those people are not the norm or even the that common.

There are no greater perks to be an S vs N. EVERYONE has issues; everyone has problems. I've said it I don't know how many times before - be who you are, whether Sensor or Intuitive. Just be the best *you*, that's all.

Please, no type wars. But recognize that yes, you *could* be a Sensor or you *could* be a Rational/Thinker type. You could be any of those things. INFJ is just a preference, that's all. No more, no less.

This again screams of we can't have feelings towards other types that aren't warm and fuzzy. God forbid we not like everyone and every type we must deal with.

Please tell me when we have something worth posting about.

I find this thread to be beyond needless this comes arcoss as two things. 1. a shot at those who having trouble finding their type. Or refuse to go with a type that people think they are. and 2. A way to stop conflict that is perfectly normal. Not all types are going to get along.

I'm well aware some people aren't who they really are when online. Those people are not the norm or even the that common.

Really? I find that the internet is full of people you would never had thought they were... ESPECIALLY the women.

My jaw drops EVERY TIME and sometimes I just wish for a plain Jane.

This again screams of we can't have feelings towards other types that aren't warm and fuzzy. God forbid we not like everyone and every type we must deal with.

Please tell me when we have something worth posting about.

Eh, I don