May is sexual assault awareness month | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

May is sexual assault awareness month

If they report it elsewhere, yet it doesn't get reported to the police, how serious could it really have been? I don't see why you'd report it to someone who can't do something about it, and fail to report it to those that could, unless maybe you believed you would be wasting police time.

I think there probably are lot of complicated feelings at a time like that. Besides the actual trauma itself.
Do these other places to report sexual crimes respect the wishes of the person when it comes to informing policia?

If they report it elsewhere, yet it doesn't get reported to the police, how serious could it really have been? I don't see why you'd report it to someone who can't do something about it, and fail to report it to those that could, unless maybe you believed you would be wasting police time.
@Cornerstone already made the point I would have: it's more complicated than just reporting a crime. There is fear of retribution, fear of not being believed. Rape crisis centers and shelters offer services to victims of assault. They offer counseling services and other assistance whether people report the crime or not.

.There is still a pervasive blame the victim mentality. Survivors still face the added injury of being blamed from many if they do come forward after they've been assaulted. Some people are afraid to go through that.

Not reporting rape doesn't make it any less traumatic.
You could bother to actually educate yourself on the issue.

Last edited: