Lust vs. Love: What's the diff? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Lust vs. Love: What's the diff?

Lust is the propeller of civilization. Without lust, we'd be in caves.

I have to say @Pin I respectfully disagree. I think education and empathy are the true drivers of civilization. Even animals are capable of lust. If we only had that we'd still be in the caves you mention.

To me @Gale love, may well contain physical attraction, but it goes far beyond that. It's a sense of care and deep connection to others.

People do all sorts of things to get what they "lust" for, money, power, sex, fame. Usually not good things. But for love? When it's genuine, they'll risk and give up almost anything. I see that as hugely different.

Lust is deep and heavy.
Love is wise and weightless.

If I took those criteria of lust and love seriously, I'd have to conclude that I've never experienced lust. Interested in having sex but not conversations? Uh, okay, yes, I've heard some people are like that. These kind of lists make me think about how much the dating culture has changed in the last 30 years. Or actually just people ten years younger than me are very different in this respect. Then again, I reached puberty in the early 90s when AIDS was still very much in people's minds, which probably had an effect on my beliefs (it's not always merely about MBTI ;))

I'd say lust is a subcategory of a very specific kind of love. There are many kinds of love, some sensitive, some obsessive, some even quite neutral. My idea of lust is that it's already something more than a purely physical sexual urge. The most lustful times I can remember were the times of surrendering completely to the process of falling in love. But love can always grow deeper with time, whereas lust will peak at some indefinable point and then decline.

giphy.gif

or something like that...
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

K. Can we get back on topic. Thank you! :)
36l34oezwl8y.jpg

Reactions: t56hg2bv and James
Hugh diff. Younger you mistake lust for love and fall in love constantly. Older you recognize lust and know that...
Love is nothing more than a set of biological impulses made to mask lust.

Its all cool. Before consciousness we wouldn't give a second thought to love. Conscious, we fien confusion. Physically I'm attracted to you. This is life, nature.

Hmm. I disagree. The feelings associated with love may be biological, but love is more than a feeling.
Elaborate.

Elaborate.
I didn't want to bother, but okaay.

I think:
*Love is rooted in selflessness.
*Feelings aren't constant. Love can be.
*You can love someone without liking them or like someone without loving them. It is easier to love someone you like, but love is selfless and so does not have to be dependent on how you feel towards someone else.
* The feelings with love aren't a choice, but loving actions are a choice.
*Love is more than just sweet words and feelings. Selfless actions embody love.
*Love lasts as long as selfless behaviors do. Love is a choice that continues (on your end) as long as you let it. Whether it be for a friend or a lover, love creates demands beyond just words and feelings; it demands action.
*Love doesn't mean being perfect, selfless, or 100% happy all the time: that's just an ideal.
*There are different kinds of love (storge, philia, agape, eros, etc).
*An ideally loving and lasting relationship requires mutual selflessness and commitment.

*Lust is dependent on feelings (of attraction/desire), not love.

I didn't want to bother, but okaay.

I think:
*Love is rooted in selflessness.
*Feelings aren't constant. Love can be.
*You can love someone without liking them or like someone without loving them. It is easier to love someone you like, but love is selfless and so does not have to be dependent on how you feel towards someone else.
* The feelings with love aren't a choice, but loving actions are a choice.
*Love is more than just sweet words and feelings. Selfless actions embody love.
*Love lasts as long as selfless behaviors do. Love is a choice that continues (on your end) as long as you let it. Whether it be for a friend or a lover, love creates demands beyond just words and feelings; it demands action.
*Love doesn't mean being perfect, selfless, or 100% happy all the time: that's just an ideal.
*There are different kinds of love (storge, philia, agape, eros, etc).
*An ideally loving and lasting relationship requires mutual selflessness and commitment.

*Lust is dependent on feelings (of attraction/desire), not love.
I like you. You are naive.
I hope you never change. Such a hope is a curse.

Reactions: the