Love-Shyness | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Love-Shyness

And on the LS forum we go around and around bout what the word "confidence" (often abbreviated as the 'C' word) really means.

The accepted definition there is "Previous accomplishment" or, "What you have done before you can do again".

Also, what do you mean by "losing a lot of need"? Like losing the need for acceptance (from pretty girls) or that losing the need makes you completeGuy?

In my mind I think a real and genuine "completeGuy" doesn't worry about having sex or "scoring" with a pretty girl at a club or something. I think being a completeGuy means embarking on your life long journey of fulfilling your purpose....putting your energy into your life's work...conventionally, you might say "building a career" but I think the word "career" is very limiting. Maybe you are interested in photography and spend three years traveling the world taking photo-shoots; or maybe you become a grad student to study physics, or any number of things. In my mind, it just means fleshing out who you are as a person and taking confidence in the little successes that will make up what you will do with yourself as you traverse your life.

In doing that, you kind of stop worrying about whether someone likes you or not. When you stop worrying about it, then by definition the anxiety goes away, right? Then you can get to know women just as other people and not always as "potential love interests" or "the one". then love just blossoms naturally.

That's kind of my approach to things. I get lonely at times (I haven't dated anyone in a while -- check the Valentine's thread, i think I'm not alone in that sense!) but, life isn't Hollywood. 100 years ago, everyone on this planet was pretty much set-up by their parents or lived in small towns with MAYBE 10,000 people, so you married the girl who lived down the road. Now, we live in mega cities with tens of millions of isolated, lonely people. I think loneliness comes with the territory of living in our modern societies.

It also depends on what you want in life. If you want to just marry anyone and start having kids, you can do that. It's just a numbers game at that point -- you just ask out enough people and really, at some point one of them will say yes. On the other hand, I would prefer to have genuine love in my life and not just a sterile and forced relationship -- but love demands freedom, too. You can't just summon it, it happens of its own accord. I've been in love once, but my sense from speaking with a lot of people is that feeling even that kind of romantic love, even once in your life, can be a lucky thing. Observing many married people (including my own parents) led me to the conclusion that marriage and love can co-exist (and a successful marriage is one where love deepens throughout life) but many people also get married for the wrong reasons and just because the other person has a pretty face or a lot of money. That seems like hell to me!!

If you're worried about being a virgin or something like that (and again, life isn't hollywood, sometimes you just never meet a sexual partner until college or after) then you should decide if you're just looking to have sex or willing to wait for love. If you just want to have sex, there are many many things you can do to have sex with someone pretty quickly, but it won't be in the romantic sense that you want and comes with all the health/personal risks associated with having sex with relatives strangers (and i'm talking about everything from clubbing to prostitution to using internet ads, etc. etc., i mean there's really a million things).

so you really just need to figure out what it is you desire. sometimes, all we want is just the attention and confirmation that we are attractive people! and the easiest way to get that is just to give it to ourselves, from ourselves :)

Last edited:
Very interessting. first time i've heard about it was right now when i read the thread ... Kinda fits me ...

Did the test ... 51 :m122:

The cure: get more extravert *sigh*

Funny part is that I don't have a problem talking to females. Not more than I have with males. Hell I think It's even easier for me to talk to females.

But i'm always getting stuck in the friend zone. :m142:

I'm an INFJ so ofcourse have I noticed this way before I read about this thingy. I've located my problem and working towards a solution. Just taking a while ...:m027:

Becoming more extravert ... i'm regulary so much introverted even INTJ's think i'm to much introverted. Ok it's not that bad, but it's not very easy to be more "e" just out of the blue. Training Training Training ... having a movie night tonight, atleast something :m200:

Interssting topic though. :m059:

(btw 5 monkies, i rawk!)

If my INFJ senses tingle and this women might actually be someone I might love... there really is no stopping me.

I must find out more about this person till I figure out if she is indeed a person a person I could love as a lover or a deep friend.

There is treasure everywhere and they seek to evade you, hunt it down and marvel at it's shine. As the gem looks upon you with as much amazement as you do them.

That being said, I do have love-shyness but I overcome it by reminding myself whats at stake.

Last edited:
BUMP for INTJguy

Thank you, you're too kind. :)
I scored 78 on that test, not too bad, as I'm selective of whoever it is I choose to pursue.

Also, love shy people's taste in music and movies isn't what I'd enjoy.

Even when I manage to have a good initial conversation with a chick, if there's no pupil dilation on her part then there's no pursuit on my part. INTJ 101. :laugh:

Well, actually I am getting better at asking girls. I used to fit all the criteria, but I'm somewhat more confident now. My biggest problem is finding someone that I want to ask out.

My biggest problem is finding someone that I want to ask out.

Mine too, there's a difference between being love-shy and choosing not to set out to sleep with every girl in your field of vision. I hate it when people are like "err, he doesn't want to sleep with that hot girl over there. He must be either gay or love-shy."
There are more variables in attractiveness than how physically hot a girl is!

Thank you, you're too kind. :)
I scored 78 on that test, not too bad, as I'm selective of whoever it is I choose to pursue.

Also, love shy people's taste in music and movies isn't what I'd enjoy.

Even when I manage to have a good initial conversation with a chick, if there's no pupil dilation on her part then there's no pursuit on my part. INTJ 101. :laugh:

Heh, a woman doesn't show interest by her pupils dilating. Men are the ones visually stimulated. Look for her to do some unconscious things such as touch her hair or something like that. Here is a list, but don't put too much stock in PUA's and try not to play their games, unless you want to drive her away. http://www.pick-up-artist-forum.com/iois-the-complete-list-vt12025.html

BTW, no one on our forums likes their music or movies(except Rocky, Rocky kicks ass.), I think it must have been a LS culture thing at the time it was researched.

Most members are into metal and techno of some variety.

I prefer punk rock myself. :cool:

Heh, a woman doesn't show interest by her pupils dilating. Men are the ones visually stimulated. Look for her to do some unconscious things such as touch her hair or something like that. Here is a list, but don't put too much stock in PUA's and try not to play their games, unless you want to drive her away. http://www.pick-up-artist-forum.com/iois-the-complete-list-vt12025.html

BTW, no one on our forums likes their music or movies(except Rocky, Rocky kicks ass.), I think it must have been a LS culture thing at the time it was researched.

Most members are into metal and techno of some variety.

I prefer punk rock myself. :cool:

I've read that playing with their hair is something I should look out for, but a lot of girls do that. It's hard to distinguish between just normal behaviour, or if they're subconciously hinting at me.

Oh yeah I love Rocky a well, it's great. I read that LS guys generally didn't like Taxi Driver. That made me wanna invite one to my house, sit him down, and make him watch it with surround sound and HD. That'd revise their opinion on a masterpiece!

I LOVE classic rock, like Hendrix and The Doors. My favourite music is '90s Hip Hop, though. Nas, Jay-Z, Notorious BIG; who's Soulja Boy?

My score was 46.

I don't really understand why it is a sickness to care too much about what other people might want or might not want and acting according to how you would originally want it to be for your own selfishness to feel loved. Just because you are attracted to someone, it doesn't mean they would hop into the car just because you rang them. Maybe your over-analyticalness would have proven itself right, and you would feel hurt, and you caused the other person problems by taking the risk you shouldn't have, because the results were wrong, and with love-shyness, you could have avoided it, because you care too much about what the other person thinks. I don't really understand, why is this a "sickness that must be eradicated"? Is it a sin to care about other people and yourself, the results that impact both people???

You Scored 56

I don't like people. What can I say?

My score was 46.

I don't really understand why it is a sickness to care too much about what other people might want or might not want and acting according to how you would originally want it to be for your own selfishness to feel loved. Just because you are attracted to someone, it doesn't mean they would hop into the car just because you rang them. Maybe your over-analyticalness would have proven itself right, and you would feel hurt, and you caused the other person problems by taking the risk you shouldn't have, because the results were wrong, and with love-shyness, you could have avoided it, because you care too much about what the other person thinks. I don't really understand, why is this a "sickness that must be eradicated"? Is it a sin to care about other people and yourself, the results that impact both people???

Love-shyness is an intense desire for a relationship with an intense fear of women attached.

I'm not really sure I follow your train of logic. It is simply a miserable thing to live through, as some of you guys here know.

BTW, on the LS forum, the trollz are coming under control, the admin added mods. XD

Mine too, there's a difference between being love-shy and choosing not to set out to sleep with every girl in your field of vision. I hate it when people are like "err, he doesn't want to sleep with that hot girl over there. He must be either gay or love-shy."
There are more variables in attractiveness than how physically hot a girl is!

I absolutely agree. I could have had tons of sex; it is not like it is hard to get. However, I want something more than that. Physical pleasure is secondary to intimacy for me.

The main thing is that I would not want to go around pretending to love girls while having sex with them. If I say it, it is real. My refusal to say it killed my last relationship (well, the fact that I wasn't attracted to her probably killed it, but they are interconnected anyway).

Common pattern seemed to be - I'm happy to talk to girl I like if we had some connection already, even a tenuous one eg mutual friend or introduced previously or worked in same company, - but I'm not happy to talk to a girl I like who is complete stranger, especially in front of her friends.

I got 45, even though I was being generous with my scores!:(

Internet Explorer is crap, especially on this cheap laptop, so I can't take the quiz...

I found one on okcupid, though, that says I'm moderately love-shy, which seems about right.

I'm not a d00d but I am love-shy. It would be tougher for males though. :[ -I know quite a shy, reserved ISFJ who is being chased shamelessly by an ENTP. Not all women conform to traditional gender roles regarding making the first move, hope you love shy males out there encounter such catalysts someday.