Long distance relationships | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Long distance relationships

Can Long distance work?

• Total voters
I'm currently in one, with plans to close that distance in the somewhat near future. As for keeping the relationship going, it hasn't been difficult at all for either of us.:smile:

Been there done that. Well worth it.

(my long distance included the Atlantic Ocean and required an Immigration and Naturalization nightmare, too)

Awesome! I LOVE hearing stories about other people's long-distance relationships!

My long-distance relationship was on two sides of the USA. Thinking back on it now, I don't think I could've done it with anyone else other than my current boyfriend.

There's something so romantic about a long-distance relationship, isn't there? Love letters...passionate reunions, gifts, 5-hour phone calls, etc. etc. etc.

My INFP boyfriend and I were a lot like some of you ladies here. He was in love with me MUCH longer than he cares to tell me. For whatever reason, he get bashful about those things. I had NO idea he had feelings for me until I confessed my feelings to him! He's so reserved! I was really expecting him to say, "Sorry, little girl, I'm much too old for you. You'll find someone when you're older, run along and play."

We met online, at INFPgc in the INFPgc chatroom. Romantic love story, yes? I have to thank these MBTI forums for bringing us together. We carried a nice 9 month online/long-distance relationship before moving in together. I first joined that forum when I was 17...I think...So I've known him for over 2yrs.

It's really funny, because we met online on these MBTI forums, I have to find other forums to "get away" so I can write stuff about him! Heh heh heh! He doesn't know I post here...I don't think...so any of you INFPgc folks reading, don't spill the beans!

I'll come and find you. :m194:

Oh wow. I'm luring you back to this thread to give up some more details :D

I want the full story. How did it happen, when did you meet, what problems did you face etc, etc, etc... you get the picture. Spill :smile:

Personally I have done that quite a few Times already. At first it was hard because I kinda wanted the physical Contact but growing I had no Problems with it anymore. It has quite a few Advantages. For Example you get the Chance to get to know the other Person really good; I mean in a "spiritual" kind of Way. You can perfectly check how much you think alike. Also you still have all the free Space you want. I need SOME Space for myself, just because I love to go after my Hobbies from Time to Time. Stuff like that.
In General it always worked pretty well. I would do it again. Probably will "soon", actually. I got the Feeling that "soon" I will meet another Person to have a Long-Distance-RS with. I just think that the World is so big and there are so many Persons on it, that it is pretty hard to find that special Person in "your Neighbourhood". So I might as well look "Everywhere". =P

I'm currently in one, with plans to close that distance in the somewhat near future. As for keeping the relationship going, it hasn't been difficult at all for either of us.:smile:
Please disregard this...

No experience here, but I think they can work. It's all about finding a balance and a mutual agreement. I think what makes them more complicated is that one person may be feeling neglected in some way and the other person not as much. If you both greatly seek for a well rounded long distance relationship, then there's no doubt that your will will be strong.

Here is my opinion: No.

I think that relationships can work long distances- but time tests it every single day. It's especially true if you haven't been with this person in real life, never met them, never had the opportunity to exchange even a handshake. The reason I think that long distance relationships are likely to fail is because of the lack physical intimacy. It's a very, very important thing. Human beings need to be touched, they need to be loved on an intimate level, and when they aren't receiving it there is a chunk out of them that is incomplete.

Relationships such as where one of the members of the relationships leaves to work overseas, goes to war, things like that; can work if the emotional attachment is strong. But I wouldn't suggest it as the best option.

Well, I think this begs the question:

A) Is it a long distance relationship with no expectations of or plans for closing the gap?

or

B) Is it a long distance relationship with the distance being a temporary impediment which may one day be removed, even if the time of removal is distant?

If the answer is A, I'm not sure why anyone would linger in it with any expectations at all; if it's B, with a strong mental/emotional commitment I think (in fact I know) it's absolutely possible to suffer through the physical separation. It can even make the relationship stronger, and the determination to remove the distance more resolute.

It also depends on what you call long distance. Not sure what I would do if my boyfriend went back to his native Australia and I had to stay in Europe. If he's in another European country I can access fairly easily by train though it shouldn't be a problem.

thought your boyfriend WAS in australia
no he lives with me in Florence at the moment (and to be honest I'm looking forward to a bit more distance between us, never date your flatmate!). Well. He's in Perth right now for christmas but it's just holidays :smile:.