Lenten discussion thread for Christians and Inquirers | INFJ Forum

Lenten discussion thread for Christians and Inquirers

Seraffa

Community Member
Feb 14, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Hi - I just wanted to announce that there is a Lenten discussion thread available over in "where 2 or more gather in my name" Christian group - or, we can have it right here. I am an Orthodox Christian of the Eastern Rite, and Lent began for me today, "Clean Monday" where we take the next 40 days to free ourselves from harmful passions and patterns of behavior that inhibit our lives and our relationship with God. To everyone who wants to participate in this discussion, I wish you "a good 40 days" --- and thanks for participating in this!

Lent begins for me on Wednesday and I'm giving up chocolate :'D
Except for hot chocolate since that helps me in the mornings.

Reactions: christmas
Never observed Lent. Not all Christians do.

I can certainly acknowledge that; I have met those who don't. It always makes me wonder what happened in their "denomination" that got rid of a practise that dates back to the Early Church. Maybe someone can enlighten me on that.

Lent begins for me on Wednesday and I'm giving up chocolate :'D
Except for hot chocolate since that helps me in the mornings.

HI DAYDREAMER!!! hey - how's you? Saw lots of Catholics on the street in my town today....

I too am an Orthodox Christian, of the Greek variety. Well, I'm not personally greek, but my church is. We orthodox fast for 40 days. No meat, no dairy. Or at least, we're supposed too. But given my youth, I'm not allowed to go without dairy, so my family just gives up chocolate milk and ice cream. You know it's lent in my house when the freezers suddenly fill up with waffles and the pantry is stuffed with peanut butter. :) We have to get our protein somehow!

I too am an Orthodox Christian, of the Greek variety. Well, I'm not personally greek, but my church is. We orthodox fast for 40 days. No meat, no dairy. Or at least, we're supposed too. But given my youth, I'm not allowed to go without dairy, so my family just gives up chocolate milk and ice cream. You know it's lent in my house when the freezers suddenly fill up with waffles and the pantry is stuffed with peanut butter. :) We have to get our protein somehow!

CHRIST IS IN OUR MIDST, DAOCON!!! Ya sou!! Welcome....welcome!!!!!! Doxa to Theo!

I wish I could fast as my Orthodox bretheren do; I have celiac and many sugar and starch intolerances. My body is just not producing the same enzymes as it once did. Hopefully, there is a Podvig that I can be given to help me through this 40 days, so that I can make my offering to God, too. Please pray for me.

I have lately been consumed once more with the rich meaning of the Greek word "metanoia" and it's conspicous use/meaning in Scripture....I think the arrival of Lent brought this all on. It literally boggles my mind to consider the treasure of mystery this season holds. Some Lents are more serious for me...this year I plan to participate through small reminders woven into each day.

I'll lose it all over again on St. Patrick's Day....I've been around a good bit of study on this, too, and when this feast day rolls around I get totally lost in the spirituality it speaks to. I have great fun...but fun of a very special order.

Every year I try to prey more or read Bible and other relogious literature. I had years when I really feelthat I done something during lent, and I had years when I was so consumed by trivial problems in life that lent just passed near me. I like when I have feeling of lent.
Lent is actually very Ni phase for me when I have good lent time.
Thanks Seraffa, good 40 days to you!
Btw, I am Chatolic.

Withholding something from yourself should be done for yourself, not to please Cthulhu.

Never heard about this before... altho I was raised as christian going to church every week.

Interesting.

A few years back, one of the big evangelical churches around here decided to get their entire congregation to enter into a specific time period of conversion, fasting, and basically dialing back life a bit to make room for some interior change. Anyway, from the sound of it, the people all loved doing this together as a community. I naturally noticed this and applied it to the ways I understand/approach the more ancient tradition of Lent in my Church.

I think there is a lot of rather childish baggage/ideas we carry around in regards to things like Lent. Not necessarily any harm in that, but it is an impoverishment. There is an adult approach that I wish were more available. This approach is infinitely more deep, dimensional, and mystical....even more fun!!! Even the idea of doing something good together is pretty cool.

Actually, lots of cultures and religions have specific times/periods set aside for recollection and inner renewal. The 40 Days, or Lent, are a 40 day preparation time for the upcoming Holy Week/Easter cycles. The time relates to Christ's time in the desert before his ministry, also the 40 years of the Israelites wandering in the desert. Think of it as a personal, self-directed retreat.

Any interesting Lenten traditions/services out there? Very interested in goings-on within the Orthodox community.

Last edited:
Actually, lots of cultures and religions have specific times/periods set aside for recollection and inner renewal. The 40 Days, or Lent, are a 40 day preparation time for the upcoming Holy Week/Easter cycles. The time relates to Christ's time in the desert before his ministry, also the 40 years of the Israelites wandering in the desert. Think of it as a personal, self-directed retreat.

Any interesting Lenten traditions/services out there? Very interested in goings-on within the Orthodox community.

Yes there are, Randomsomeone! This is the calendar I am referring to http://www.goarch.org/chapel/calendar
and one of my favorite sundays of the year is coming up this weekend - the SUNDAY OF ORTHODOXY.
It's not just a day to be going around saying "I'm Eastern Orthodox!" (although its a great day for many of our parish church members to go fondly visiting sister churches in communal services, and hugging and kissing one another in great joy) the definition of what the Sunday of Orthodoxy is and means is here http://orthodoxwiki.org/Sunday_of_Orthodoxy (this is a Wikipedia thousands of believers have contributed to about our Faith, its practises and origins.) It is directly from the 7th and last Ecumenical Council that this great and mighy Feast originated and continues to be honored and taken to heart. We thank God for the salvation He gives us and for the end to "iconoclasm" so long ago as a bona fide heretical belief. (that is is a sin to portray God pictorially in any way, shape or form.)