Lenten discussion thread for Christians and Inquirers | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Lenten discussion thread for Christians and Inquirers

One of the Services during this day is of great intensity, and reads off a list of "anathemas" (what we refuse to accept from the world) in order to re-assert our deeply held beliefs in Christ. It can be found here http://aggreen.net/liturgics/triumph_orth.html#MemoryEternal under "the anathemas."

As for me, I like the part best when we process around the exterior of our parish with our Saints icons, and return inside to sing: "What God is so great as our God?.......You Alone are Him...... who does wonders!" (3x)
I am always filled with happiness, close to tears, at that point. :)

Every year I try to prey more or read Bible and other relogious literature. I had years when I really feelthat I done something during lent, and I had years when I was so consumed by trivial problems in life that lent just passed near me. I like when I have feeling of lent.
Lent is actually very Ni phase for me when I have good lent time.
Thanks Seraffa, good 40 days to you!
Btw, I am Chatolic.
'
Jana, it's really nice to have you here, with your heartfelt writing! It's true, not all Lents are the same. And many are quite hectic, depending on the activity in the world vs. increased activity at Church.

Catholics seem to gravitate towards the Station of the Cross devotion/prayer a good bit during Lent. It is a tradition that I believe began in the Middle Ages. The stations refer to the churches in Jerusalem that mark out major happenings during the Passion of Christ. At one time, pilgrims could make this journey in person to Jerusalem and clergy (I believe it was the Franciscans) sought to bring this devotional pilgrimage experience to churches everywhere. You will often see these stations (usually small relief sculptures) mounted on walls around the side aisles of Catholic churches. During this prayer service (or it can be done alone or with a small group) people move around the church from station to station, reflecting on readings and praying in a type of mini-pilgrimage. Some readings recount events from the Gospels, others offer reflections into the deeper or personal meanings of these event. Silent reflection is generally also part of this. In some places, Stations of the Cross are outdoors or tucked into wooded areas...here there can be much more distance between the stations and there is more movement and sense of pilgrimage. I have been to such services with just a few people and also with thousands in attendance.

Do other any churches do this, or just Catholic churches?

Here is a full account of the service, done among our California parishes in Los Angeles, only last year! :)
This shows the progression of each part, and what the congregation looks like.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nafbb4je7g&feature=related"]YouTube - Sunday of Orthodoxy[/ame]

Catholics seem to gravitate towards the Station of the Cross devotion/prayer a good bit during Lent. It is a tradition that I believe began in the Middle Ages. The stations refer to the churches in Jerusalem that mark out major happenings during the Passion of Christ. At one time, pilgrims could make this journey in person to Jerusalem and clergy (I believe it was the Franciscans) sought to bring this devotional pilgrimage experience to churches everywhere. You will often see these stations (usually small relief sculptures) mounted on walls around the side aisles of Catholic churches. During this prayer service (or it can be done alone or with a small group) people move around the church from station to station, reflecting on readings and praying in a type of mini-pilgrimage. Some readings recount events from the Gospels, others offer reflections into the deeper or personal meanings of these event. Silent reflection is generally also part of this. In some places, Stations of the Cross are outdoors or tucked into wooded areas...here there can be much more distance between the stations and there is more movement and sense of pilgrimage. I have been to such services with just a few people and also with thousands in attendance.

Do other any churches do this, or just Catholic churches?

We do this specifically during Passion Week, from Holy Wednesday thru Holy Friday with several services focused on His holy steps from the Praetorium to Golgotha, as written in the Gospels. We do not repeat the service until the following year, although there are many private services at home that can be done this way at any time. Orthodox mysticism is based upon the Resurrection and Christ's Divinity as Conqueror. Catholic spirituality, I have observed, places its major focus on Christ's humanity, suffering, and crucifixion.

Orthodox mysticism is based upon the Resurrection and Christ's Divinity as Conqueror. Catholic spirituality, I have observed, places its major focus on Christ's humanity, suffering, and crucifixion.
Ah, very interesting....I suspect you are right about this. :)

What is eastern rite? Isnt that a Roman distinction?

What is eastern rite? Isnt that a Roman distinction?

"Eastern Rite" is actually a term coined by the Roman Catholics when many formerly Orthodox Christians were persuaded to become Roman Catholics, for one reason or another, ( ie a good example being in the Ukraine.) Since Rome had to have a term for the Liturgy those who were formerly Orthodox were using, they described their new converts as "Eastern Rite Catholics."

"Eastern Rite" is actually a term coined by the Roman Catholics when many formerly Orthodox Christians were persuaded to become Roman Catholics, for one reason or another, ( ie a good example being in the Ukraine.) Since Rome had to have a term for the Liturgy those who were formerly Orthodox were using, they described their new converts as "Eastern Rite Catholics."

So you are Roman catholic then correct?

So you are Roman catholic then correct?

No hon; I'm Orthodox, but until about age 25 was a Roman Catholic. I'm now 46, and still have Catholics in my family.

No hon; I'm Orthodox, but until about age 25 was a Roman Catholic. I'm now 46, and still have Catholics in my family.

I dont get it. If you are Eastern Rite, I thought that was a Roman term. So if you are classifying yourself with Roman terms it makes sense to me that you would be RC practicing a different litergy. So please help me understand w/o talking down to me with "hon". Thanks.

Hi - I just wanted to announce that there is a Lenten discussion thread available over in "where 2 or more gather in my name" Christian group - or, we can have it right here. I am an Orthodox Christian of the Eastern Rite, and Lent began for me today, "Clean Monday" where we take the next 40 days to free ourselves from harmful passions and patterns of behavior that inhibit our lives and our relationship with God. To everyone who wants to participate in this discussion, I wish you "a good 40 days" --- and thanks for participating in this!

Oh - do you mean THIS quote, up here? It's hard to answer a question with no quotes, Corndogman.
Someone outside of this thread had mentioned they were an "orthodox Christian of the Western Rite - a Catholic." I figured they might be reading this, and we do have Orthodox Christians who follow a western style Liturgy; but, not too many people have ever said "Eastern Liturgy", and, since they were Catholic, I felt it would be more recogniseable to them if I mentioned "Eastern Rite" - a term they could already understand from contacts with Byzantine Catholics within the fold of Roman Catholicism.

2nd Sunday of Lent

During Lent, one of the things I like most as an Orthodox Christian is the fact that each Sunday is devoted to a special "something" that draws us nearer and nearer to Holy Week, and Christ's Resurrection.

Whereas last Sunday the Orthodox celebrated the restoration of icons to be used in worship during Church services, and affirmed that "man was made in God's image - thus icons of Him", the second Suday of Orthodox Lent is devoted to the memory of an important monk, Bishop and Apologist of the Church: St. Gregory Palamas.
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Gregory_Palamas

This Father of the Church defended hesychasm (interior stillness) as a tool for stilling the human passions, along with another practise known as the "Prayer of the Heart." An adept teacher and writer, his apologetics were upheld and his many critics silenced during the 9th Ecumenical Council in Constantinople, AD 1341. St. Gregory's diligence against prevailing erroneous theology of his day not only rescued the practise of early Desert Spirituality within monasteries - his teachings laid the foundation for the characteristic interior prayer life embraced among all monks and laymen alike in the Orthodox Church.

I also love the cycle themes that Lent gives us cause to revisit. In this regard, it points up an interesting fact...as much as one can view religion as a long series of dogmatic proclamations, historical missteps, power/control manipulations, there is another reality that far too often escapes notice. It is the inner life. This is what truly matters, what is continually celebrated, what is held up as a primary ideal and focus, and what truly defines these institutions at their core. This aspect, believe it or not, is primarily about personal freedom, inner liberation, and the intrinsic dignity of each individual. All else...community, customs, liturgies, theologies...all serve this. It is unfortunate that historical circumstances and human drama mask this....it is quite visible (and vivid) from the inside.

Such is so with the idea of the life of ongoing conversion that Lent brings into focus. Even here it is easy to see
the externals workngs only. Rich and accessible as these are, they remain simply sensorial doorways into far, far deeper mysteries where silence, love, awareness, and Truth reside. The movement of conversion is about movement from illusion to Reality, from what "is not" to "what is." And even here, this becomes a doorway of a more deep, personal nature, an encounter....for "what is" is amazing beyond speaking.

So yes, the various refractions Lent brings to mind are real treasures, a gift of this communal action toward a new outlook, a new frame of mind, a new mode of existence. It lights a fuse....what happens after that is for the individual to explore.

I must confess, I took a break from my Lenten mindfulness to enter into St. Patrick's Day with a full heart....but that represent a whole other sets of mysteries!!!! ;)

Oh - do you mean THIS quote, up here? It's hard to answer a question with no quotes, Corndogman.
Someone outside of this thread had mentioned they were an "orthodox Christian of the Western Rite - a Catholic." I figured they might be reading this, and we do have Orthodox Christians who follow a western style Liturgy; but, not too many people have ever said "Eastern Liturgy", and, since they were Catholic, I felt it would be more recogniseable to them if I mentioned "Eastern Rite" - a term they could already understand from contacts with Byzantine Catholics within the fold of Roman Catholicism.

Yeah that is what Im talking about.

I also love the cycle themes that Lent gives us cause to revisit. In this regard, it points up an interesting fact...as much as one can view religion as a long series of dogmatic proclamations, historical missteps, power/control manipulations, there is another reality that far too often escapes notice. It is the inner life. This is what truly matters, what is continually celebrated, what is held up as a primary ideal and focus, and what truly defines these institutions at their core. This aspect, believe it or not, is primarily about personal freedom, inner liberation, and the intrinsic dignity of each individual. All else...community, customs, liturgies, theologies...all serve this. It is unfortunate that historical circumstances and human drama mask this....it is quite visible (and vivid) from the inside.

Such is so with the idea of the life of ongoing conversion that Lent brings into focus. Even here it is easy to see
the externals workngs only. Rich and accessible as these are, they remain simply sensorial doorways into far, far deeper mysteries where silence, love, awareness, and Truth reside. The movement of conversion is about movement from illusion to Reality, from what "is not" to "what is." And even here, this becomes a doorway of a more deep, personal nature, an encounter....for "what is" is amazing beyond speaking.

So yes, the various refractions Lent brings to mind are real treasures, a gift of this communal action toward a new outlook, a new frame of mind, a new mode of existence. It lights a fuse....what happens after that is for the individual to explore.

I must confess, I took a break from my Lenten mindfulness to enter into St. Patrick's Day with a full heart....but that represent a whole other sets of mysteries!!!! ;)

I like that very much, Randomsomeone. I "get" the other statement, too. Ha ha. St. Patrick is a wonderful Saint.
I like the fact that he was born on the Welsh/Scottish border, so I put on some green, too, in support.

There was a free dinner given in a big hall by Friends of the Poor for many people as well. Lots of Scranton's Irish were involved with this. Little schoolgirls from a vounteer league danced a jig and sang, and served the supper to those attending. :) There was also a voluinteer "easy listening" band playing music.

I've never practiced Lent but have always been fascinated by it and sad that my Protestant faith doesn't encourage it. I know it's up to me to do the research and find purpose in it but to be honest I don't have the energy right now. Lol. Much respect to those of you that do!

I'm non-denomination and don't participate in lent but I do have fasting times. I think this is really neat that you created this thread for those that do. I'm a believer through and through but I don't follow the Catholic church.

I'm non-denomination and don't participate in lent but I do have fasting times.
That is super! I really like it when people feel inquitive enough and free enough to brush the "pure Catholicism" off of very biblical ideas/concepts that truly belong to all believers, and then re-access them in a more rooted, grounded way, seeing and understanding them through fresh eyes. I have seen ministers/scholars/theologians do this (because they know enough to bypass the baggage and access the essentials) and they were able open fresh and rich experiences purely rooted in ancient Christian practice and scriptural understandings. We benefit from this, I think, since much of this rightly belongs to us all (not Catholics). It just takes a re-understanding and re-articulation. I have seen individuals and congregations experience great spiritual renewal through such encounters.

Reactions: Lucidmoon