Last chance to take back our Democracy - Elector Petition | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Last chance to take back our Democracy - Elector Petition

I'm not so sure democracy is a thing I want. The problem of "the tyranny of the many" is one that cannot be overcome by using democracy. We need a constitution that can protect the freedoms of the few from the tyranny of the many. We also need a constitution that is open to change. Any suggestions?
Republics are what you are wanting.

Republics are what you are wanting.

This doesn't escape the problem of "tyranny of the majority" either since elected officials must do what their constituency want them to do. Or else they risk being voted out. Any others? Potentially something completely new?

Could one if you explain what's with the whole Electorial vote recount/ I was unaware there is a window of time that an electorial vite holder us able to change their vote?

Martin Sheen, who played fictitious President Josiah Barlett on “The West Wing,” is featured in a personalized video designed to sway a Kansas elector, Politico reported. The piece is titled “Mr. Ashley McMillan” and Sheen implores “Mr. McMillan” to follow the example of America’s Founding Fathers. He’s hopeful that McMillan will switch his vote and become one of the 37 Republican electors required to possibly deny Trump the presidency.

Just one problem with Sheen’s pitch: Ashley McMillan is not a man.

“It’s my job to represent the people of Kansas on Monday. It was Martin Sheen’s job to get my name right. He failed. I won’t,” McMillan, who plans to vote for Trump, told The Daily Caller.

Ooooooppps! Liberals are funny!

Could one if you explain what's with the whole Electorial vote recount/ I was unaware there is a window of time that an electorial vite holder us able to change their vote?
Today they all cast their vote. After that it's a done deal.
Supposedly the electoral college was put in place because the founding fathers did not have complete faith in the majority of the population to make an informed rational choice. It's like a fail safe. You know, just in case something crazy were to happen like Hillary actually winning instead.
Anyway after today the deal is sealed.

Reactions: Sandie33
I do respect the insane liberals who want Hillary a little more than trump supporters because:if Hillary had won, the trump supporters wouldn't have fought back nearly as hard.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Today they all cast their vote. After that it's a done deal.
Supposedly the electoral college was put in place because the founding fathers did not have complete faith in the majority of the population to make an informed rational choice. It's like a fail safe. You know, just in case something crazy were to happen like Hillary actually winning instead.
Anyway after today the deal is sealed.
I see. Thank you EH. I assumed it was a done deal after Nov. I only graze the surface of politics. One reason being money talks BS walks in Washington...elections have been bought for quite some time, and is a primary cause of the tank we're swimming in now--thank you again for explaining, have a wonderful day. :)

Reactions: Eventhorizon
I do respect the insane liberals who want Hillary a little more than trump supporters because:if Hillary had won, the trump supporters wouldn't have fought back nearly as hard.
They would be lynching people. That's why the electoral college is afraid to serve its purpose.

Reactions: Skarekrow
They would be lynching people. That's why the electoral college is afraid to serve its purpose.
No, they would do nothing at all. They excel at inaction.

Reactions: Eventhorizon
No. I'm sorry but we can look at the facts on this one. Liberals become violent when they don't get what they want. Others become vocal but that's about it. No one got lynched or beat up when Obama the most antiAmerica President ever got elected. Today, electors are being given death threats and followed when driving their cars...the liberal way is to intimidate. No history of that with anyone other than liberals.

Reactions: the
Trump is the candidate who held rallies and encouraged his supporters to punch and attack protestors. Trump is still holding rallies because he is a megalomaniac trying to keep his supporters fired up to punch someone in the face for him.... Because he knows the electoral college is legally within their right question whether or not to put him in office. And then look at the rhetoric you have shared here, @Eventhorizon , talking about a civil war of liberals vs conservatives.

The left is sending letters and signing petitions where are you hearing about death threats? Well if that is true, there are crazies on both sides.

Reactions: Skarekrow
Trump is the candidate who held rallies and encouraged his supporters to punch and attack protestors. Trump is still holding rallies because he is a megalomaniac trying to keep his supporters fired up to punch someone in the face for him.... Because he knows the electoral college is legally within their right question whether or not to put him in office. And then look at the rhetoric you have shared here, @Eventhorizon , talking about a civil war of liberals vs conservatives.

The left is sending letters and signing petitions where are you hearing about death threats? Well if that is true, there are crazies on both sides.
Civil war that liberals clearly want. Not created by anyone other than them.
Liberals here in this forum talking about assassination, hoping that people with different views die in any number of ways.
Liberal emails telling other liberals to stir up violence at Trump ralies to entice them to protect themselves and make it look like they are violent.
Again no, liberals see the potential for violence in others because it is part of their own foundation that they act on whenever they don't get what they want.
The truth is what it is.

Welp. Today your little fascist coup attempt will fall flat on your face, as Trump is confirmed our President and he continues baiting your authoritarian sensibilities with his twitter account. I'm sure Saddam Hussein will be wishing you future success.

TheBlaze
Pro-Donald Trump electors are receiving death threats ahead of Electoral College vote
trumpelectorsdeaththreats-1024x569.jpg

Michigan Electoral College elector Michael Banerian. (Image source: WWLP-TV)

Chris Enloe
38 mins
As the Electoral College gets set to convene Monday to officially vote for president, some electors of President-elect Donald Trump have received extremely troubling messages — even death threats.

Michael Banerian, an elector from Michigan, is bound by Michigan state law to vote for Trump when the Electoral College meets Monday. Electors in 27 other states, plus D.C., have so-called “faithless elector” laws, which bind their state’s electors to vote for the candidate the majority of their state’s citizens voted for during the general presidential election.

Still, that hasn’t stopped people from all across the country from sending Banerian messages to plea that he not vote for Trump.

Banerian recently told CNN that messages have poured into his social media accounts and his mailbox. And in just the last week alone, he’s received more than 2,000 snail-mail messages. And while most of them are tame, others are not.

“I’ve had death wishes, people just saying ‘I hope you die. Do society a favor, throw yourself in front of a bus.’ And just recently, I was reading a blog about me, and unfortunately these people not only called for the burning of myself, but my family, which is completely out of line,” he said.

Banerian added that he thinks the pressure to vote against Trump is hypocritical because had Hillary Clinton won the election, there likely wouldn’t be the same outcry about the Electoral College and its electors.

“It’s utter hypocrisy, because I don’t think if the roles were reversed, most of these people would be OK with electors being faithless and voting for anyone other than Hillary Clinton, had she won,” he said.

And while Banerian can’t go rogue — meaning he must vote for Trump on Monday — electors in 22 other states can, and they’re undoubtedly feeling the pressure to do so.

More from CNN:

Anti-Trump groups are not letting up, posting the names and addresses of 283 electors on the internet, and encouraging people across the country to write the electors asking they vote against Trump.

The group “Hamilton Electors” is leading the charge to block Trump from 270 electoral votes. They say at least 20 electors are on board, but they need 37 for the election to go to the House of Representatives.

In addition, Hollywood stars and Harvard law professor Larry Lessig are pressuring electors to vote against Trump. Lessig has even assembled a group of lawyers to give pro bono legal counsel to any elector in a Trump state seeking to vote against him.

28 Comments
© 2016 TheBlaze, Inc.

Reactions: Skarekrow and the
This doesn't escape the problem of "tyranny of the majority" either since elected officials must do what their constituency want them to do. Or else they risk being voted out. Any others? Potentially something completely new?
Pure democracies are open to absolute majority rule. Republics have constitutions, which greatly limit majority rule, and protect non-majority citizens.

MICHAEL
Time to face reality, Obama — Trump is going to be president
By Michael Goodwin

December 18, 2016 | 9:51am | Updated

Barack Obama at his final press conference.Getty Images
So this is how it ends — in a whimper wrapped in self-pity and recriminations. With President Obama on the defensive at his final press conference and Hillary Clinton’s last campaign event resembling a wake, the Democratic Party is limping off the stage and into the political winter.

It was supposed to sit atop the national power pyramid for decades, a new paradigm of liberals, progressives, the young, the old, the unions and blacks, Latinos, Muslims and Asians.

The torch would be passed from Obama to Clinton, a liberal Supreme Court would vastly expand executive power and the regulatory state would enforce climate-change orthodoxy on all industry and elitist dictates on every American. Globalism would be the new patriotism.

But a funny thing happened on the way to one-party dominance: The people who work for a living said no, hell no. Their revolt brings Donald Trump to the White House amid hopes of a revival of the economy and of the American spirit.

Thoroughly beaten, the Dems are at their lowest point in nearly a century. From the White House to Congress to statehouses, they are on the outside looking in.

Their punishment was well-deserved, as demonstrated by Obama and Clinton. Full of excuses and blaming everyone except themselves, their closing acts proved it is time for them to go.

They have nothing new to offer, with their vision of the future limited to larger doses of the same failing medicine and their intolerance for disagreement showing they would never learn from their mistakes. Their bad ideas had run their disastrous course.

Yet instead of analyzing what went wrong and trying to find new organizing principles, party leaders and activists are pointing fingers at the FBI and Russia, and engaging in a mad bid to overturn Trump’s Electoral College victory.

Because they are doomed to fail, we could be witnessing the death throes of the Democratic Party as we know it. With Obama and the Clintons encouraging the attempted theft of an election they lost and failing to denounce intimidation and death threats against Trump electoral voters, most Americans have reason to consider the Dems a dead letter.

Yet the final verdict on 2016 depends on Trump’s performance as president. If he delivers “jobs, jobs, jobs” and peace-through-strength abroad, he will forge a new governing consensus and remake the political landscape.

While it’s too soon to know what exactly Trumpism stands for, it’s clear that many Republican orthodoxies and special-interest debts are being tossed overboard. His cabinet nominees are incredibly accomplished individuals who come to their new jobs without the burdens of past Washington gridlock. If he can attract centrist-minded Dems, some of whom he is courting, Trump has a chance to build a pragmatic coalition that keeps faith with mainstream America.

The obstacles, of course, are many. Much of the Islamic world is on fire and the great powers are moving ever closer to confrontation in Europe and Asia.

Obama leaves office with Russia, Iran and China eating our lunch, with the Chinese theft of a Navy drone a goodbye insult. The unspeakable horror of Syria and the rise of the Islamic State will forever be part of the 44th president’s legacy.

So too will be domestic divisions, which grew more stark and bitter in the last eight years. We are now perilously close to a boil, and that too falls partially on Obama’s shoulders given his fear-mongering about Trump.

Against that dark reality, it is reasonable to worry the nation is on the verge of a crack-up. But there is also a possibility that America is on the verge of a new greatness.

It’s up to Trump. The ultimate outsider and a historic disrupter, he bears some responsibility for the polarization. But victory presents him with an opportunity to make government work for the people, instead of the other way around.

He is off to a great start and must stay focused to avoid falling down the rabbit holes of petty disputes. America needs the change he promised and he needs to commit every ounce of his being into keeping that promise. If he succeeds, so will the nation.

No end to de Blasio’s dishonesty
The hits just keep on coming at Mayor Bill de Blasio, but hold your tea and sympathy. He has only himself to blame.

Twin reports underscore how chronic dishonesty is destroying his mayoralty. First, federal and state grand juries are hearing evidence about his fundraising, meaning he and/or aides could be indicted.

Second, the city’s Campaign Finance Board fined his 2013 campaign nearly $48,000 for violating spending rules. While the penalty is minor given that he raised $10.6 million privately and got nearly $4 million in city matching funds, the details show a chiseler sticking taxpayers with inappropriate costs.

The largest ones were a $116,000 payment to one of his private consultants and $33,000 for a post-election party.

But small ripoffs also reveal his grasping. He tried to bill the campaign $236 for a hotel room in California in 2012, which just happened to be half a mile from his daughter’s college.

And he charged the campaign for a $297 flight to Washington for his son to attend the 47th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech — in 2010, three years before the election.

Defending the indefensible, de Blasio’s campaign said the expenditure was valid because his son, Dante, attended “as a visible manifestation of how the candidate’s life experience was resonant to the spirit of the occasion.”

Such sophistry helps explain why his fate hangs in the hands of the grand juries convened by prosecutors. His fundraising schemes that avoided donor limits may constitute crimes, but the big issue is whether he also sold favors to donors. The answers should come soon.

Until then, if you must shed tears, shed them for the people of New York. Their mayor betrayed them.

The real bias behind the hate hoax
The false report by the Muslim teen who claimed she was attacked by three men shouting “Donald Trump!” was bad enough, but the way the media swallowed the story was another example of sloppy journalism.

Most outlets didn’t attach any skepticism to her claim, treating it as fact even though there were no witnesses to an attack that she said happened on a crowded subway.

Police took her seriously, but now charge her with filing a false report.

The problem from the start was that, for Trump haters, the story fit their prejudice. The teen, Yasmin Seweid, gave them what they wanted, so they embraced it, no questions asked.

Shame on her — and them.

Join the club, Mrs. O
On her way out the door, first lady Michelle Obama tossed off an ungracious remark, saying, “We’re feeling what not having hope feels like.”

Actually, what she’s feeling is what half the country felt for the past 8 years.

x.gif
;ord=1482175766723