Knowledge is power: true or false?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy

Why or why not?

i like to think that it is, it might be more likely to be power if it is relevant to whatever subject is being discussed id suppose, being knowledgable on an important topic might earn you a good job and or admiration. but i think for it to be worth anything there has to be a demand for it, and a willingness to share if there is.

depends on individuals. What kind of knowledge is valued by a person? knowledge that you gain by reading? or knowledge you gain by associating with people (e.g. street smarts)? or just enough knowledge to survive in the world (e.g how to hunt, pick fruits)?

Knowledge along with an open-mind and leadership skills is more powerful than knowledge alone.

If you use knowledge without knowing how to spread it around the world, you become like a wizard stuck on its ivory tower.

Reactions: Gaze
knowledge is definitely power~ but it's not the only avenue to power, just the most obvious

and there are certain types of knowledge that we'll likely never have access to, such as what it's like to be a bird soaring over the atlantic at summertime~ other types of knowledge will only be granted to you by those masters: experience, persistence and time. thinking you know it all is surely the easiest way to lose yourself

Reactions: AUM

Why or why not?

Is truth truth and false false? It really depends on the knowledge and the power. Is there a universal power of knowledge? And how much knowledge can we know?

I would say that being bold in life is power. Just being knowledgeable in itself is not enough. You have to have the attitude to use your power for what you choose to do. You have to put in the effort to train to do things. I can read a book on how to do surgery but can I do the surgery after I just read the book?

I would conclude the knowledge coupled with experience equals power the more of both you have the more powerful you are...

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
Albert Einstein.

Imagination is power, knowledge helps you achieve it.

I would say False. Knowledge alone is not enough, I believe. Knowledge with action's more important. a.k.a. wisdom. What's the purpose of knowing if it's only going to be kept to yourself; if it can't be utilized in a way that's not going to benefit you and/or others? But of course, it depends on the situation. I'm not saying everything you know you have to use/share, definitely not. But in situations where it would be valuable to use and apply it, do so.

And knowledge doesn't only refer to knowing about educational subjects. I think knowledge is knowledge no matter what it is. It could be the littlest information or something other people would consider to be of little importance. Just the fact that you know is a great thing and something no one can take away from you.

This sounds like an Enneagram Type 5 question. :wink:

Knowledge can be powerful depending on how you use it.
However, knowledge is not everything.
There are more important things in life than knowledge.

:ranger:

i thought knowledge doesn't have to be used to achieve power, but maybe they're inseparable, and by gaining knowledge we unavoidably gain power over ourselves. (and if so, i have greater knowledge still to obtain than i previously thought...)

Why or why not?

True, but incomplete. If you know something, you can use that as leverage in a situation where that knowledge is useful. If you know a lot about a subject, and make that known to others, you attain the status of 'expert', which is a powerful position.

What's missing, of course, is the fact that knowledge isn't the only source power, nor is it even the greatest. Knowledge is more of a starting point, I think, than an end. For example, knowledge is pretty worthless unless you know how to evaluate the truth of that knowledge and how to use that knowledge.

True, but incomplete. If you know something, you can use that as leverage in a situation where that knowledge is useful. If you know a lot about a subject, and make that known to others, you attain the status of 'expert', which is a powerful position.

What's missing, of course, is the fact that knowledge isn't the only source power, nor is it even the greatest. Knowledge is more of a starting point, I think, than an end. For example, knowledge is pretty worthless unless you know how to evaluate the truth of that knowledge and how to use that knowledge.
^^^This

Never stop learning and never think that you know everything. I find that every time I think I've got something figured out, I learn something new, so I try to keep learning instead.

Great responses, thank you all. :)

There are two sides of this issue that come to mind when I think about it:

[youtube] <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qe500eIK1oA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qe500eIK1oA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> [/youtube]
"I remember when, I remember
I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that place
Even your emotions have an echo in so much space

And when you're out there without care
Yeah, I was out of touch
But it wasn't because I didn't know enough
I just knew too much "

OR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Oppressive_Education

I think in our world today, money is power.

Knowledge has the power to make you free within yourself, in a way that nothing else can.

So knowledge is power - for personal fulfilment.

Oh, a related question: what about knowledge of oneself? Is that power?