Kamala Harris: Biden's VP | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Kamala Harris: Biden's VP

That she didn't earn her position based upon merit, but rather leveraged her sexual relationship with a man in exchange for political power.

My own personal judgment, she does a fine job and I can see her competency as a prosecutor.

But then, I’m not trying to invalidate her accomplishments using some stale old trope on women needing to sleep their way to the top to get to the top, to take her down. That’s super sexist.

I do think Dems have a problem here though. From John Kerry’s swift boat accusations to Obama’s birther fiasco - it’s all some form of invalidation of something fundamental about them. Like, they’re somehow fundamentally flawed. Except, the flaw never really pans out, so it’s all fake, but the stain of the accusation remains. And, it’s really the person who is making the accusations, doing the invalidating, who is in the wrong.

this one is new to me

You’ll have to look up the details, but his entire war service became invalidated because he was portrayed as someone who drives his boat away from action, or something like that. So, he was basically painted a coward. (And then you have Trump who got a doctor’s note.)

I just think anyone reasonable can see that John Kerry is a patriot. That Obama is American. That Joe Biden likes people. And Kamala Harris is an extremely capable and competent prosecutor.

This strategy of invalidating someone’s character really works.

You’ll have to look up the details, but his entire war service became invalidated because he was portrayed as someone who drives his boat away from action, or something like that. So, he was basically painted a coward. (And then you have Trump who got a doctor’s note.)

I just think anyone reasonable can see that John Kerry is a patriot. That Obama is American. That Joe Biden likes people. And Kamala Harris is an extremely capable and competent prosecutor.

This strategy of invalidating someone’s character really works.
Politics is not for the faint of heart.

Yeah dude, I'm joking. Speak your mind.

Please don't tag me like that unless you make it apparent that it's a joke in the same post
I don't wanna slog through things to figure out your intention and have to PM you every time you tag me

The job she got from her partner is a pretty small part of her resume: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris
For the record, I wasn't suggesting that the tweet reply was 'true', or that I supported the position.

I'd just like to point out, though, that we ought to be careful of allowing a particular spin of identity politics to excuse the practice of nepotism. Nepotism, either on the giving or the receiving end, is not something we should allow ourselves to overlook on the basis of someone's gender or that it's part of their 'personal life'. These are public servants we're talking about, and it's in the public interest to know if they ever engaged in a practice like nepotism.

If someone like Kamala Harris made use of nepotism to get where she got, then that is a fact relevant to the public interest. You're referring to this:
From the Wiki said:
In 1994, California Assembly speaker Willie Brown (with whom Harris was in a relationship)[29] appointed Harris to the state Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board and later the California Medical Assistance Commission. Harris took a leave of absence from her prosecutor job to serve in the positions.[29][30]

Her boyfriend appointed her to a political position - our response to that should not be 'ugh *eyeroll*! Her private life is irrelevant. Typical sexism implying she slept her way to the top!'. No...

It's functionally equivalent to having your father appoint you. It's nepotism. It's not 'anti-feminist' to point that out, though we should note how issues of identity politics clouds this whole discourse.

Anyway... I should probably say: I support the Dems, I hope they win, and she seems like a good pick. Just don't forget to scrutinise your public servants, even if you intend to vote for them.

im not american.. america a third world country pretending to be numba one.. live by the sword die by it, the time is nigh
giphy.gif

Please don't tag me like that unless you make it apparent that it's a joke in the same post
I don't wanna slog through things to figure out your intention and have to PM you every time you tag me
Quite honestly, that comment became a joke retroactively. I seriously considered locking the thread but later decided to reign in my ENTJ tendencies.

Quite honestly, that comment became a joke retroactively. I seriously considered locking the thread but later decided to reign in my ENTJ tendencies.

Jokes are only funny when they're real

I thought Warren would’ve been the front-runner, but she would’ve tanked in the debates.
For the record, I wasn't suggesting that the tweet reply was 'true', or that I supported the position.

I'd just like to point out, though, that we ought to be careful of allowing a particular spin of identity politics to excuse the practice of nepotism. Nepotism, either on the giving or the receiving end, is not something we should allow ourselves to overlook on the basis of someone's gender or that it's part of their 'personal life'. These are public servants we're talking about, and it's in the public interest to know if they ever engaged in a practice like nepotism.

If someone like Kamala Harris made use of nepotism to get where she got, then that is a fact relevant to the public interest. You're referring to this:

Her boyfriend appointed her to a political position - our response to that should not be 'ugh *eyeroll*! Her private life is irrelevant. Typical sexism implying she slept her way to the top!'. No...

It's functionally equivalent to having your father appoint you. It's nepotism. It's not 'anti-feminist' to point that out, though we should note how issues of identity politics clouds this whole discourse.

Anyway... I should probably say: I support the Dems, I hope they win, and she seems like a good pick. Just don't forget to scrutinise your public servants, even if you intend to vote for them.

Not exactly. Nepotism is what’s happening right now with Ivanka and Jared. Infidelity is what Trump committed, with every single one of his wives.

The implication with Harris, it sounds like, is she’s a hypocrite for standing for female empowerment when part of the basis of her power came from having sex with a more powerful man. Or, that she’s betraying women for accepting the nomination with Biden.

Maybe she did. Maybe she is. I don’t know 100%. It doesn’t seem like it to me...sounds like a reach. Plus, that’s not a requisite for me in a political candidate. I’m not looking to elect the homecoming queen. F* that.

I do agree if it’s the line of attack that’s going to be used against her, she should have a response ready.

Nepotism is what’s happening right now with Ivanka and Jared.
Exactly! It's some of the most egregious nepotism our country has ever seen. At least when President Kennedy appointed his brother attorney general, his brother was at least qualified for the job.