Jesus as an excuse

Altruistic Muse

Community Member
Apr 6, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4?
I am going through a bit of a period of refamiliarisation with what it is to be Christian. I think fundamentally my main belief is in a powerful and good God. But, since he did send his only Son, have him teach us amazing things through parables, take him and then reincarnate him, I see how Jesus is a representation of His power and all else that is good. For me, this gift displaying God's omnipotence should be a focus for all Christians at our luck at being here and a reason to do good, a reason to try and be the best people we can in Jesus' name. Why then, do some people think right, I'm a Christian, I believe that Jesus died to save us, and that he looked after the dontrodden. So knowing that I believe the right thing, and that Jesus allows for sinners, I can do whatever the hell I want. I am talking about people that cheat, that rape, even murder. How can it be an option to write off any sins just because you think Jesus will save you anyway?

There's a difference, I think, between being a Christian in name and a Christian in identity. What you're describing are people who are, or who seem to be, Christian in name only - they don't recognize the massive importance of the fact that God exists.

It's often said that the twelve inches between the head and the heart are the longest twelve inches you'll ever find...

Twelve inches can also be a foot............I would call that bad timing, especially taking away from a good quote.

Altruistic Muse, I feel the pain.

I really don't recall having had anyone ever say they could do what they wanted because they were a Christian, especially to the extremes you mentioned. I have seen, however, people that go to church and have Christian stickers on their vehicle(s) that embarrass me as a Christian. There is a reason God judges the heart.

Why then, do some people think right, I'm a Christian, I believe that Jesus died to save us, and that he looked after the dontrodden. So knowing that I believe the right thing, and that Jesus allows for sinners, I can do whatever the hell I want. I am talking about people that cheat, that rape, even murder. How can it be an option to write off any sins just because you think Jesus will save you anyway?

First: Romans 6.

Second: If a Christian cheats, rapes and murders, they don't understand their own religion or have dishonestly interpreted the scriptures to the point of absurdity. It would be on the same level as reading Mein Kampf and concluding Hitler loved Jews.

According to Christianity, Jesus came to sacrifice himself to atone for sin and, thus, men could be transformed by the spirit of Christ rather than ritual obedience to the Mosaic law. Being that Christ emphatically states that those who choose to follow him will love others, I don't see how any Christian could continue to deliberately hate others unless they'd never accepted said spirit in the first place.

romans is part of the pauline epistles. Jesus didnt say any of that.

yet it is held as the inspired word of God. The Holy Spirit spoke through him. So in effect, God did say that

I provided that chapter so the OP could read a passage concerning his question; any text in The Bible is valid for answering questions about Christianity.

When was jesus reincarnated?

Resurrected, you know what I mean :p. Cut me some slack, major lack of sleep issues right now!

Even better is to seek why should these men want to rape and kill. And then help to make such a world in which future kids rarely develop this way. To rely on good and evil is to avoid the problem.

I'm suprised that Barnabas hasn't posted on this thread yet.

Now regarding the OP,

You are only a Christian if you accept what Jesus did for you and that you are willing to follow god and the bible. You must also be willing to have a change of heart. However, you can't use christianity as an excuse to do what ever the hell you want to do, anyone that does will have to deal with the big fella upstairs.
God is omnipresent, God can read your intentions and your thoughts.

However if you are truly sorry for your actions then God will forgive you.
But you can't just say sorry and then run off an do it again just because you can, thats not really saying sorry.
And like humans I would imagine that would also tick off God.

Last edited:
yet it is held as the inspired word of God. The Holy Spirit spoke through him. So in effect, God did say that

Except it was written by a guy who never even met Jesus.

If Jesus was god, he'd have known to say everything himself...
Having some guy come along afterwards and be taken more seriously than what Jesus Said... Well, why not convert to Islam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt 7: 2o-23
20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. 21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Better Shai, I can pretty much only echo what others have said here. Both Paul and Christ spoke on this subject and their councel is far better then I can give.

Except it was written by a guy who never even met Jesus.

If Jesus was god, he'd have known to say everything himself...
Having some guy come along afterwards and be taken more seriously than what Jesus Said... Well, why not convert to Islam?

Yes, but if one believes the biblical account of Paul, he was directly influenced by God/Jesus. I'm not claiming this actually happened (I'm more skeptic than Christian), I'm just pointing out that what you said above wouldn't apply given the whole road to Damascus experience.

The accounting in Acts and in other places tells of the Holy Spirit. If one were to understand the Trinity, which we discussed here a year or two ago, one might not question Paul's connection with God.

I think Jesus may have foretold of the Comforter. He foretold of going to the Gentiles. He foretold of the hardening of hearts to enable this to take place.
Does the explanation of things through the Holy Spirit cause so much turmoil?
If I say, "Christ in me", is it then so much easier to understand than, "The Holy Spirit of God in me"? God in me? Walking after the Spirit of God?

I can understand the confusion for one that has not studied it enough to understand it a little better. I can also understand when someone just does not want to understand.

I've found that people who do this have a history of using other things for the same purpose because they are devoid of any personal responsibility, and they see using Jesus (more specifically, grace) as an excuse as an easier way to make people afraid to call them out on it out of fear of being somehow offensive.
Posted via Mobile Device