J vs P differences | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

J vs P differences

Is it possible for an INFJ to become an INTJ personality? (Back and forth though).

Opinions vary.
Personality is somewhat fluid so you could say yes.
The purpose and intent of mbti is in finding your most prevalent/pervasive type, however.
There's also a difference between how you perceive that you function, and how others perceive you as functioning.
Stressors will cause your personality to shift, so I always ask people what they are like in a base non-stressed form.
INFJs seem caught between INTJ and INFP and have a lot of trouble deciding where they fall into.
So take that for what you will, I suppose.

Is it possible for an INFJ to become an INTJ personality? (Back and forth though).
It might help if you look at the opposite of your secondary function. INFJs spend a lot of time chewing the cud using Ni and Ti - INTJs do the same between Ni and Fi. What is your natural go-to when you are just spending time with yourself?

Some INFJs have quite strong Ti - it's because Ni isn't very respectable in society in general but Ti is, so we can learn to use it a lot and become proficient with it in our teens. That can make us seem more like a thinking rather than a feeling type sometimes.

It might help if you look at the opposite of your secondary function. INFJs spend a lot of time chewing the cud using Ni and Ti - INTJs do the same between Ni and Fi. What is your natural go-to when you are just spending time with yourself?

Some INFJs have quite strong Ti - it's because Ni isn't very respectable in society in general but Ti is, so we can learn to use it a lot and become proficient with it in our teens. That can make us seem more like a thinking rather than a feeling type sometimes.
I feel like an intj when I'm reading or working on something individually.
Sometimes I try to block the feeling function as it can be distracting to my perception of things and limits my ability to critically think from all perspectives.

Sounds very INFJ
INTJs don't even know what feelings are
No but really, INTJs tend to feel things in very specifically known (to them) and deep ways.
They don't really share those things with anyone, sometimes not even some of those closest to them.
INFJs are guarded, but their hearts are a little more open.

Last edited:
I feel like an intj when I'm reading or working on something individually.
I agree with @Wyote. The way you express this, it sounds like an INFJ inner dialogue. I use introverted thinking myself to translate my Ni perceptions into words. Feeling really comes into play when I try and express them externally, which is when their impact on others becomes important to me.

INTJs use their thinking function as the vehicle of external expression. There can be a flavour of righteousness in the way they do this, but with systemic precision being the essential thing in the communication and little immediate concern for how others are affected - just as INFJs can express themselves with a flavour of analysis, but with an acute sensitivity to impact. Of course this is a distillation and in real situations we may use any or all of the functions, which is why our type can seem unclear. It’s a matter of which we prefer habitually rather than which ones we don’t use at all.