Is there really a God?

Spiritual Leo

On Holiday
Apr 14, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Thinker
Now this question may have been asked before and if it was, I apologize for bringing it up, but I feel it is a must: Is there really a God?

How does one gain knowledge of a reality which transcends the empirical world?

I understand how one can understand the empirical world, but I don't understand how one can understand a transcendent reality.

Any insight would be much appreciated

Pretending to understand or convincing themselves that they do seems to work well enough for people.

I believe there is a God. I'm sure there are quite a few forum folk who would be very happy to expound on the "whats" and "whys" of their faith if you ask them directly. I think that no matter who answers this question you will find all answers to be simple and yet very complex at the same time. I wish you the best with your inquiry.

Reactions: Gaze
Luke 17:21:
the kingdom of God is within you. .
to seek this, look within, for there you will find Him.

Reactions: Gaze
Probably not.

Now this question may have been asked before and if it was, I apologize for bringing it up, but I feel it is a must: Is there really a God?

I understand how one can understand the empirical world, but I don't understand how one can understand a transcendent reality.

How does one gain knowledge of empirical reality? What is reality? And is that reality necessarily immanent or transcendent, how would we tell?

i don't really like the term god, but i do feel a higher power working in me, through me, and around me. i guess that's my reason for believing in 'god' 'goddess' 'gaia' etc.

I don't believe there is, not in the sense most people mean that anyway. But the key phrase in that is "I don't believe" I can't say anything with 100% objective certainty obviously. But a God in the 'invisible man in the sky' kind of way seems extremely unlikely to me. It seems like a far too simplistic and limited to view it that way. It's like saying the world is flat, it makes things a lot simpler if we think the world is flat and the stars are old dead ancestors or something. In my opinion "God" is just us trying to find an easy explanation for some of the more complicated and yet to be figured out parts of the world, the universe and of our minds. It's easy to just say "Well God did it and that explains everything."

Reactions: endersgone
“The believer in God has to account for the existence of unjust suffering; the atheist has to account for the existence of everything else.” Rabbi Milton Steinberg

Luke 17:21:
the kingdom of God is within you. .
to seek this, look within, for there you will find Him.

I do not believe in the idea of a superintending deity, but I do believe existence is more than what we normally perceive.

I do not believe in the idea of a superintending deity, but I do believe existence is more than what we normally perceive.

+1

I would change to: I don't believe in a single deity but multiple forces and in the existence of more than what we normally perceive.

How does one gain knowledge of empirical reality? What is reality? And is that reality necessarily immanent or transcendent, how would we tell?

One can gain knowledge of an empirical reality because it is observable; therefore perceptible to the human senses. Realities which are transcendent are in the absence of evidence, logic, and reason; therefore they are imperceptible to the human-senses, so how can one understand this? .

We live in a world of positives and negatives. The mere concept is intangible, but we can see tangible effects of positive and negative events, people, behaviors, etc. To me, God is the ebb and flow of this energy and the choices we make to procure one or the other. We reap what we sow.

This is something you find in all religious teachings ... it just happens to be the 4 sentence version of a 2000 page book.

I suggest having a nosey at the Kalam cosmological argument.

This. I was prepared for a debate...lol

Usually these type of threads really take off

I'm new. I suppose this is debated to death already here.

Asking whether God exists is a curious question because people are going to say things based on their own feelings or beliefs which doesn't make God's existence true or untrue.

If God exists, then existence is a fact, separate from whether you do or don't believe He exists. It's also separate from whether you agree with who or how God is. If God exists then we've placed ourselves in position to agree or disagree with the meaning of God's existence.

If God doesn't exist, then the existence of our world doesn't make sense. There are two many consistencies or commonalities including our shared human consciousness the different species of plants, animals, and in nature which already attest to the existence of some intelligent force or spirit guiding the construction or creation of this world.

Reactions: CindyLou and Rasmus