Is there free will? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Is there free will?

:m146:Hilarious. This topic is something I thing about a lot, even though it is a pain-in-the-ass argument and probably unknowable. I've heard a lot of people say that they feel like they have free will, but I don't. So, my question to everyone is: Do you feel like you have free will?
free_will.jpg

Last edited:
Your thoughts?

I'm inclined to believe there is no free will.

Does it matter?

Can you prove the difference between a highly chaotic event and a random event?

Free will may be an illusion, but it is a very powerful one.

free will exists, from the standpoint that we make decisions based on what we believe as opposed some ones forced will.

time is irrelevant to free will, whether i made, am going to make or am making a decision does not effect the fact that there is a decision.

in relevance to God, free will, is there And it is known. whether God knows the choices you make or don't make, still does not effect the fact that your beliefs and values lead you to your own conclusion distinct from those around you.

So, my question to everyone is: Do you feel like you have free will?

Yes, I feel like I have free will.

Wether I believe in free will depends on how "free will" is defined. If I remember correctly, there are different kinds of determinism. But generally speaking, I *don't* think that "I" (or anyone else, for that matter) have some kind of a magical "will" that comes from outside of who I am (or who they are) as a subject that has become this way because of the genes I was born with and the inateraction that this "I" has had with the outer world ever since "I" was born (even if one can't define a moment of birth for the "I").

I hope that made any sense and fear that it didn't.

What is "free"? What is "freedom"? Are you free to go visit the solar system of Vega?

Do you think freedom is only about how much free you are compared to other people? But what does it matter then? If all people are in the trash, you are in the trash too, even if you "rule" them.

This is like the question: Is the outcome of a dice random? Well, no it isn't. It's strictly a number from the set {1,2,3,4,5,6}. It's random within this set, not in general. You can't get 7 or Pi.

So I think, absolutely speaking, there is no free will. And relatively speaking, sure, there is. Depends on the settings within which you evaluate. The problem is that we may be free like a fly in a jar. Oh, it's such a big and interesting jar! (;