Is fishing cruel? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Is fishing cruel?

I wonder if there are any fish in hell? :thumb:

If there are I'll bet it's this little fella;
2005540258390347659_rs.jpg

The giant snakehead is a carnivorous fish that feasts on or destroys anything in its path, this fish is ebil! Think it's harsh to suggest this fish may be dammed to hell? Noooo! Don't be fooled, this is not your average fish; THE GIANT SNAKEHEAD CAN KILL YOU!

"Female snakeheads have been known to attack and sometimes actually kill human beings who get too close to juvenile fish.

The giant snakehead will eat absolutely everything in a body of water then crawl over land to the next pond or lake. If there’s an infestation near any other bodies of water, those other areas are almost sure to be infested soon because the snakehead can survive four days out of water while it looks for a new home.

The fish is the pinnacle in dangerous and effective invasive species. Officials in the U.S. had to fight an invasion of the fish with the equivalent of a nuclear bomb. Snipers were placed around invaded bodies of water with shoot on sight orders. Whole lakes were poisoned, wiping out hundreds of other fish in the process, to stop the snakefish from spreading. Even these measures weren’t 100% effective."

They’ll kill you if they can be this in the water OR on land if you try to run and even the US army, with all their weapons, can’t annihilate them! The giant snakehead thrives in warmer water... coincident? I think not!

The good news for you apparently they are quite fun to catch, and are considered a tasty dish in China.

Last edited:
*whacks dat ebil fish with incense thingy*

I'm a vegetarian. So perhaps my answer is a bit biased.

I think fishing is cruel. It's a crappy way to die, if you think about it. Suffocating to death. What's worse is the fish you catch but don't eat! That ALWAYS pisses me off, any animal. Why bother killing it then if you aren't going to eat it? Or at least USE it for something. Shit.

O Look! More denizens of Fish Hell:

Ebil Angler Fish

anglerfish.jpg

Ebil Monkfish

monkfish540.jpg

That first fish looks like one mean mo'fo. I wouldn't mess with that fish.

:m169:

Thanks Lurker! you made my day expanding my knowledge of evil fishes. :D

Course I can't go without mentioning the stereotypical fishy bad guy the Barracuda, even their name is badass.

4238961827624-56-1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have issue with the killing of fish for food, esp if they happen to look like any of the examples that Lurker provided. However, I don't like the idea of boiling the lobster. I don't eat lobster, in fact. Shellfish allergy. I do remember naming one when I was young only to see it's claw slowly descend into the boiling lobster pot. Young minds can't handle that type of image. That's probably about when I developed the allergy.

Off-thread, another story, Kindergarden, I had a school trip to a turkey farm the week before Thanksgiving. We laugh about it now, but apparently there was no turkey for me that year. No way, no how. What were they thinking? Really !

I do remember naming one when I was young only to see it's claw slowly descend into the boiling lobster pot. Young minds can't handle that type of image. That's probably about when I developed the allergy.

Off-thread, another story, Kindergarden, I had a school trip to a turkey farm the week before Thanksgiving. We laugh about it now, but apparently there was no turkey for me that year. No way, no how. What were they thinking? Really !

That's very interesting.. that your allergy developed right around that time.

I once took a tour of this little farm. Driving up, there were cute white ducks swimming in a pond. Inside, they offered us samples of various types of pate. I mean - seriously??!

That's very interesting.. that your allergy developed right around that time.

I once took a tour of this little farm. Driving up, there were cute white ducks swimming in a pond. Inside, they offered us samples of various types of pate. I mean - seriously??!

:m131: The liver of this particular pate came directly from that little one's mommy over there.

Well, the shellfish allergy appeared upon early adulthood, so if I have shellfish I get extremely tired at a minimum. I haven't tested anytime lately to learn otherwise, but just am careful since some fish eat shrimp during certain seasons. Monkfish, yum.

What do you mean Shadow? I know sometimes animals experience atrocities because of humans, and that is truly awful. But what about the many wonderful moments. Every single time a dog is taken for a walk, gets to go swimming, cuddles up with it's "owner", greets it, and gets taken care of, and so on and so on and so on...

okay, maybe not ALL human activities (afterall, every person is different), but you have to admit it: I would say in some cases 80% of people's thoughts regarding animals is a destructive thought, in one way or another. just watch all the animal experimentation on labs, animal hunting for superficial stuff or just torture for plain senseless fun. maybe the person who's cuddling the dog won't mind eating/using something that that person knows was made out of animal suffering. that's just how humans are.

PS: heh, I don't know if I got to the point. it's 3 am and my mind's shutting down..

okay, maybe not ALL human activities (afterall, every person is different), but you have to admit it: I would say in some cases 80% of people's thoughts regarding animals is a destructive thought, in one way or another. just watch all the animal experimentation on labs, animal hunting for superficial stuff or just torture for plain senseless fun. maybe the person who's cuddling the dog won't mind eating/using something that that person knows was made out of animal suffering. that's just how humans are.

PS: heh, I don't know if I got to the point. it's 3 am and my mind's shutting down..

It's okay. I understand what you mean. I know.. it's unfortunate / unacceptable. I hope it's getting better with time.

Hmm, well I don't know...do you think it's cruel that the world is estimated to run out all fish in the ocean by 2048 due to the rate we are catching fish, and the devestation to ocean's coral reefs that trollers make?

Hmm, well I don't know...do you think it's cruel that the world is estimated to run out all fish in the ocean by 2048 due to the rate we are catching fish, and the devestation to ocean's coral reefs that trollers make?

Not so much cruel, just very stupid.

Depressing.:m142::m072::m079:

*Hears the song "Its the end of the world as we know it...It's the end...." playing in her head....*

I bet carp will still be around, they're hardy.

I bet carp will still be around, they're hardy.

The only fish I know of that I know of around here that are illegal to throw back in. Is that forced cruelty?

Burying carp under your roses makes them uber healthy, and they will grow and thrive and the year after they fairly explode in blooms.

After trout fishing one year (march-ish) we buried the heads and bodies under my rose bush and that year that plant had more flowers than leaves and flowered up until the fall hard freeze finally sent it to bed. It was totally awesome! The scent of roses was everywhere over the summer!