Is fishing cruel? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Is fishing cruel?

Ah the beautiful circle of life :)

Now THAT'S an excellent example of honorable and utilitarian fishing. Eat the fish, give the rest of the fish you don't eat back to the earth to feed another life form.

:becky:

This triggers my thought of a bald eagle swooping down to grasp a fish in its talons; flying up into a nest to feed the young. The thought of a grizzly bear catching a salmon on its way to spawn for food also comes to mind.
For some reason, chickens and cows come to mind, too.
I like my fish fried, grilled, poached, blackened, baked, broiled, and cooked just about every way imagineable. Some fish I like this way and some that way. Fishing is a blessing to me. Catching a fish is a blessing to me. Eating a fish is a blessing to me. A blessing to me is something I am allowed to partake in, not merely something I receive. Everything is not for everyone, I suppose.
I give thanks for the fish I catch as they are caught for food. I would much rather eat the freah fish or fresh-frozen fish I catch than store-bought fish.
Now I'm off for some shrimp we caught casting last season; this thread made me hungry.

Meh. We have to kill things to eat. It's part of being a heterotroph. Killing fish isn't a bother to me at all.

While hunting for the sake of sport can be cruel, it doesn't have to be. It all depends on the fisherman. Most people I know who go hunting will carry back as much meat as they can and eat it later.

That's what I think

We not the only living beings that eat fish to survive.Even other animals eats fish,like Bears.I think that is fine to EAT fish,and to do fishing,as long as they as the population of Fishes is not completely eliminated!But,on the other part,you are right on a Thing:
The usual way of fishing is far too Hurtful for the Fish.But I think that of fishing using fishing-nets is good either for fishes(They don't suffer so much)either for Humans,that can eat more fish without damaging the enivronment(and with it,Themselves).As a final point,there are populations on this Earth that can't live a proper diet without fish.So I think that the problem is not fishing in itself,but the WAY of fishing!

I think if you've studied the ecology of the creature you're hunting, and do not go over the limit then you are just acting in accordance with nature then it's ok, it's when people hunt for the pleasure of the kill and not for the balancing of nature that problems occur.

Fishing isn't cruel - as vagrant points alludes to, almost everything we eat is/was alive at some point. That's just how we work.

Fishermen, on the otherhand can be cruel, humane or insensitive: enjoying the pain of the fish; seeking to minimise the pain of the fish; indifferent to the pain of the fish.

In primitive cultures, these three types of fisher/hunter have their place. The cruel are likely to catch far more fish than neccessary (because they enjoy it), providing the opportunity for eating fish to others; the humane give and example of the best of our nature; the indifferent are more practical about the whole thing.

I defiantly don't like the idea of fishing for "sport" or just for something to put on the wall. If your eating it it's ok because everyone has to eat. But if a creature feels pain the humane thing I believe is to is to shorten it's agony as much as possible. I've always felt a bit sorry for those huge fishes on TV they show on those sport fishing channels that they hold up for long periods of time as it struggles to break free.

I tend to fall in the viewpoint that duping something into biting on a metal hook then yanking them out of the water - that's horrible. If a fisherperson wants to impress me do it with spear. Something a little more time honored there and working to catch your food instead of lazily sitting in a boat smoking a marlboro.

That said, I don't have problems with fishing. In the carnivorous world there are those that eat and those who get eaten. I have problems with the outright laziness of it.

Fisherpeople argue its an art form to fish with a hook and pole. To that I have no doubt. Balancing beer in one hand, a smoke in the other. Very impressive from a dexterity point. Seriously, we've taken so much of the skill out of it that was central to our survival as a species.

As I think about it, it's similar to hunting. Someone who is 150' from an animal and blasts them with a rifle - that's just wrong. Now, if someone does with a bow and arrow or any other time honored technique that's a little better.

I agree with gloomy that you kill and then waste the kill it is the height of disrespect. If you are going to kill in either fishing or hunting. You better eat it. To do anything less makes someone a complete codpiece.

I find that sport fishing is far better than commercial fishing which might kill them quicker.

Sport fishing where they're allowed to kill and eat what they take is far better for the environment and biosphere than is trawling.

I like to eat fish. I like fresh fish. I like to fish. I catch fish with my hands and bang 'em on a rock. Then I take it and cook it and eat it. I think it is good to eat what you catch. So, no, fishing is not cruel if you take what you need and leave what you don't alone. Plus fish have really tiny brains. They have room for instinct and not much else.

I don't eat the head and I gut them at home where I have time to do it right. Do you eat fish heads?:m082:

Where do you put the guts? You have ice with you? My experience is fishing in my grans' creek in Taos, NM. I go from creek to sink and back. I never fished in Holland. The thought of the waste and filth in the canals really is foul.

Oh, I probably wouldn't fish there. I had enough of alligators in Georgia.

I am well aware of the differences between alligators and crocodiles. I also know i feel uncomfortable around both.