is Fe the caring function? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

is Fe the caring function?

see that is what I mean. You don't need Fe to care for others. People mostly use there top four functions and that means for half of the types Fe isn't in it. For me Fe is a shadow function and works therefore in a more negative way. According to your logic that would mean that I can't care for others, or that my caring for others is done in a negative way. That is not true. And INTJ's for who Fe is the lowest of functions can be very caring and helpful to others. They only would rather use Te to do the job than Fe

Yes, this^^^.

Last edited:
And INTJ's for who Fe is the lowest of functions can be very caring and helpful to others. They only would rather use Te to do the job than Fe

My Mum is an INTJ and while I know she cares for me dearly, she can be very cold. Unbelievably so sometimes.

Showing emotions is not her strong point.

see that is what I mean. You don't need Fe to care for others. People mostly use there top four functions and that means for half of the types Fe isn't in it. For me Fe is a shadow function and works therefore in a more negative way. According to your logic that would mean that I can't care for others, or that my caring for others is done in a negative way. That is not true. And INTJ's for who Fe is the lowest of functions can be very caring and helpful to others. They only would rather use Te to do the job than Fe
//facepalm, no that is not what I was trying to say! GRR hell I even tried to placate you knowing you would say that! GRRRRRRRRRRR

And yes you do need it to care for people, Fe is the connecting-with-people functions and WE ALL HAVE IT
WE ALL HAVE IT
WE ALL USE IT
the manner of use and effectiveness of it is Moot
Also, every Fi user has Fe, you can't NOT have Fe, so naturally a person with Fi dom, sec, tertiary, etc can still be a caring person.
SEE!!!

But fine, I'm so done with these discussions of yours. They all end the same.

Reactions: Morgain
Wait, okay. So from your perspective we all have all functions. How do you view the fact that type descriptions make an emphasis on dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, and inferior functions (i.e. 4, not 8)? I guess I'm curious as to what system you go by, and what your views on the lesser functions are. For example, what makes an INFJ an INFJ if every type has Ni? Would you say that the two dominant functions are defined by type, and then all the others are irrelevant for determining type?

The model I use says that I can have, say, Se-type behavior by interactions with my four cognitive processes.

Reactions: Reon
Fi really tries to do the right thing, even at the expense of social harmony. Fe puts social harmony above individual welfare - for that reason Fe dominants would probably seem more overtly caring, but Fi dominants would probably be more consistently...uh (for lack of a better word) righteous.

Wait, okay. So from your perspective we all have all functions. How do you view the fact that type descriptions make an emphasis on dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, and inferior functions (i.e. 4, not 8)? I guess I'm curious as to what system you go by, and what your views on the lesser functions are. For example, what makes an INFJ an INFJ if every type has Ni? Would you say that the two dominant functions are defined by type, and then all the others are irrelevant for determining type?

The model I use says that I can have, say, Se-type behavior by interactions with my four cognitive processes.

The dominant, auxiliary, ect, functions are those that are preferred over the others, but it doesn't mean that the other functions aren't used.

We never solely use 1 function in even the simplest of decisions. We in fact use them all.

Fi and Fe are both the 'caring' functions.

Both of the F functions overlap in several areas. One of them is philosophical / emotional reasoning... which focuses on what to care about and how.

Fe cares about others because Fe wants to be part of the group, and maintain group harmony.

Fi cares about others because Fi knows how it feels to be cared about, and Fi wants to share that.

Reactions: DoveAlexa
I agree with VH. It's a very simple way of explaining it.

Fi types are generally capable of more intense emotional feeling on a regular basis, I think.

I think Fe types often while maturing have to stifle their emotions for the sake of group harmony, which mellows our feelings out, where Fi types do not have to do this.

Last edited:
VH, perhaps you can help explain why we use all of the functions. If I'm not mistaken we do have preferences for the first few, but I think it's impossible to only use one function at a time.

According to your logic that would mean that I can't care for others, or that my caring for others is done in a negative way. That is not true.

Correct. Fi is a very caring function. It cares from within outward. Fe cares outward toward within.

However, everyone needs to keep in mind that Fi and Fe are opposing shadow functions, and until someone develops their shadow F function, that function will appear to be antagonistic because that individual hasn't developed the 'best parts' of that function.

Fe users with weak Fi will see their own weaknesses with Fi in Fi users.
Fi users with weak Fe will see their own weaknesses with Fe in Fe users.

If you have an issue with Fe or Fi, it is because you need to develop that function in yourself more to better understand it. Both of these functions are equally benevolent and valid.

And INTJ's for who Fe is the lowest of functions can be very caring and helpful to others. They only would rather use Te to do the job than Fe

Actually, it's motivation from Fi, but INTJ's secondary function is Te, and according to Beebe, the secondary function is the 'Parenting' function (the function that is used to help and protect others) which means that INTJs are motivated by Fi to use their Te to help others.

Actually, it's motivation from Fi, but INTJ's secondary function is Te, and according to Beebe, the secondary function is the 'Parenting' function (the function that is used to help and protect others) which means that INTJs are motivated by Fi to use their Te to help others.

Exactly.

On another note:

My understanding is that no one was arguing that we use only one function. I think the points made were that one is more prominant or dominant in how we function. I don't think anyone stated that one function is better than another. It's just that it works different in everyone. If you're continually pushed to engage in one mode and it's not your dominant or preferred, it creates quite a bit of stress even if you strive to adapt.

Last edited:
VH, perhaps you can help explain why we use all of the functions. If I'm not mistaken we do have preferences for the first few, but I think it's impossible to only use one function at a time.

Correct. We use all of our functions in tandem at all times.

The difference in personality types is which functions we give preference to when functions disagree. For example, an INFJ tends to give preference to Ni over Fe when the two disagree.

This is the reason why Fe and Fi can cause the phenomena we're discussing. All Fi users also use Fe at the same time. All Fe users also use Fi at the same time. The difference between the two types is which of these two that an individual gives preference to at any given time. When an individual has a weak shadow function, these two functions are more likely to disagree. The better developed a shadow function is, the less likely the two functions are to disagree, and the more likely the individual is to use both functions in tandem.

For example, strong Fe and weak Fi will result in an individual being torn between these two functions' urges and finding fault within themselves when they see the lower end of Fi in others, but because they can't understand the upper end of Fi in others they can't see the benefits of that function.

However, strong Fe and strong Fi will result in these two functions operating in tandem much more commonly, and the individual using the benefits of caring from outward toward within as well as inward to outward at the same time, only rarely coming into conflict within themselves.

The dominant, auxiliary, ect, functions are those that are preferred over the others, but it doesn't mean that the other functions aren't used.

We never solely use 1 function in even the simplest of decisions. We in fact use them all.

I'd agree, with the caveat that 'all' means all four.

I think the problem some people have with this idea is that they assume that someone who lacks, say, Se can't take in details. That's not true at all, because Se =/= sensory systems. Se is the function that filters sensory information so that we focus on relevant details. When I 'walk into a room' my Ne is the function that orients me. If I need to focus on relevant details after that, I can consult my Si to tell me where I should direct my attention.

Similarly, let's suppose I lack Fe. How can I decide what's good for another person? Simple, I get information about the situation, consult what I know from past experience, then check my own values system (Fi, which I'll necessarily have if I lack Fe). Finally, I execute with Te, which will tell me how best to go about achieving the objective I've already formulated.

I could very well be wrong with my theory, but it is perfectly capable of allowing people to function properly.

From my perspective Fi tends to have a lot to do with morality and values but it also helps showcase emotion in a way. Fi represents what a person is truly feeling and will act in a manner that will represent a Fi users true emotions. Some people tend to be more reclusive with this (INTJs, ENTJs) while other types are quite good at using Fi to relate to people (ISFPs, ESFPs, INFPs, ENFPs). Fi tends to relate to people differently than Fe does as well

Reactions: under skies
IMO Fe tends to involve the "Awwww, are you okay? Need something? *hugs*" brand of caring. Love.

In a certaiiiiiin, kinda slanted way of looking, other function can be seen as caring, but I agreed with Dove; deep inside, the idea, the decision.... it's the realm of Fe. As per success and method; yeah; most people have developed other functions to work as other methods. Not all caring have to be EXACTLY, blatantly Fe, but it's all involving Fe at a certain point or another.