INTP's and INFJ Relations. | INFJ Forum

INTP's and INFJ Relations.

eidelweiss

Regular Poster
Jul 27, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
As far as the opposite sex goes, most of my male friends are INTPs. My boyfriend is also an INTP. All of these relationships have been positive for me.

What are your relationships with INTP's like? Other types, feel free to participate.

I couldn't date an INTP in the majority of cases. I had a kinda-sorta fling with an INTP 2 years ago. After a few days I got sick of him. It's the Ne that would get to me. Ne and Ni simply do not mix when you get deeper with things, and if I constantly got poked with Ti I would get very annoyed. I could do much better with an ISTP then an INTP.

Hell, to be honest, I don't think I could date any P type, except maybe an ISTP.

As far as friends, I have never gotten close to one. I get irratated at some point and I just can't connect with them on a deep level. Although I am friends with a few, I am not good friends with them.

I don't think I've ever had a close friendship with any INTPs. They seem to not appreciate how I don't give them any argument fodder, or ever try to argue with them.

One of my best friends is an INTP. I've known him a very long time and grown up with him so I have a pretty good understanding of how we differ. We get along best when we are discussing ideas. We have very in depth conversations about all sorts of different concepts. I can talk endlessly with him about video games, philosophy, spirituality, and even politics which is something I rarely discuss with anyone but with him it can be very interesting. I also find him hilarious. His dry wit which sometimes isn't even intentional always makes me smile.

On the down side, I don't know how he genuinely feels about a lot of things (known him for about 15 years)... though he may not really know either. He often tells me I am "too soft", and can be pretty cold at times.

I'm not certain I have ever met an INTP. I went around believing I was the only INTP I knew for the longest time. I'm very similar to one, so I think I would have noticed if I met one.

I'd actually like to meet an INTP woman, around my age, attractive and smarter than me. That's just a little fantasy of mine, though... :md:

On the down side, I don't know how he genuinely feels about a lot of things (known him for about 15 years)... though he may not really know either...

He likely doesn't even know that he doesn't know.

One of my best friends is an INTP. I've known him a very long time and grown up with him so I have a pretty good understanding of how we differ. We get along best when we are discussing ideas. We have very in depth conversations about all sorts of different concepts. I can talk endlessly with him about video games, philosophy, spirituality, and even politics which is something I rarely discuss with anyone but with him it can be very interesting. I also find him hilarious

This is how my relationships with my friends who are INTP's seem to be. Talking about common interests, ideas, me listening a lot. I guess I have a high listening tolerance because I grew up with an INTP who also has Asperger's Syndrome. All of the INTP's I know except my boyfriend do not talk about their feelings much. I guess I am privileged in that respect.

People tend to think we're meaniefaces.

I like INTPs, as long as they're not in large groups of other INTPs. When they are, it tends to bring out their worst qualities.

Let's see...

Positive:

1. They're good debate partners.

2. They're good at brainstorming.

3. They're not too emotionally demanding.

4. They usually seem to feel empathy for you, especially if you're suffering because of oppressive or arbitrary social rules.

5. They generally understand the larger words in my vocabulary, and my obscure metaphors.

Negative:

1. They're not good at putting plans into action.

2. They may embarrass you in public.

3. Sometimes they don't care if they hurt your feelings.

Well, that's all I could think of.

Last edited:
I truly wish infjs weren't so rare, I don't think I've ever met one in real life.

I've noticed quite a few male INTP - female INFJ pairings in the forum. Maybe it can work this way but it's not that charming in a reverse situation.

I've known some INTPs in real life. Men can be good friends or colleagues but they can also get really annoying sometimes. Especially when discussing not work related subjects. For that reason they are not best friend material for me.

Women are better to get along and I've actually dated one who was smarter than me. But then realized that brains are not that big of turn-on for me :)

Scratch that: most of the time they don't care if they hurt your feelings.

Female INTP's may be even rarer.

They're not that rare. Female ENTPs are :)

I'd like to point out that most of the people on this forum seem to be young (late teens, twenties, early thirties). Emotionally, INTP's can often be late bloomers who become more balanced in their late thirties into their forties. I was lucky to have help from my INFJ wife. (We all need help of some kind.)

When you meet a person, any person, who is young, you should keep in mind that, in addition to what you see, there is also possibly untapped, undeveloped potential that could shape that person into much more than you see now. Depending on one's experiences and ability to learn therefrom, a person may develop into an incredibly interesting, balanced human being.

I think that there is a tendency to rely on MBTI as if it is the ultimate definition of personality. Despite knowing this, I am also guilty. MBTI allows for only 16 categories in which to divide the whole of humanity. There is so much more than four letters that shape and define a personality. While we may have particular preferences, the expression of these preferences may be wildly different between people of the same type. As an example, I cite a good friend of mine who may be the only INTP I know IRL, if he is, indeed, an INTP. He's an organic chemistry Ph.D. who is brilliant and full of great ideas. We can talk for hours excitedly about all kinds of ideas spanning all of science and technology. It's fun and we just click. (We both know not to inflict our conversations on others.) But, in contrast to me, his personal life is, and has been, a disaster, partly because of an unhappy childhood in a dysfunctional family. But, also, partly, because he never had good experiences in an emotional environment that would gently and safely allow him to develop and teach him to understand his and others' feelings. He's a wounded person unlikely, at his age, to find a fulfilling, intimate relationship. He suffers, but what a mind!

My best friend is an INTP.

My husband is also an INTP, or so we think. In any case, he's really great at starting things and then leaving them half-finished for years (oh, the closet!), or ranting about something he is really passionate about, leaving other people clueless.

"One thing that stands out to me is asking him how he feels. That question tends to really freak INTPs out. You want to see a deer in the headlights, fire off that question."

Hypothesis: Inferior extraverted feeling makes sincere expression of feeling politically incorrect

Here's the usual experience for ITPs:

Friend/spouse/parent: (Say, while having difficulty making a decision at the pet store.) Would you share your true feelings with me?
ITP: Well, OK. I hate puppies with sad eyes. Their cuteness makes me want to vomit.
Friend/spouse/parent: How dare you say such a thing!

The lesson learned before long is that "Please share your true feelings with me" is a conversational gambit: the other person is looking for a chance to pour shame or guilt over you, by getting you to say something honestly. Either that, or the other person doesn't want you to share your true feelings, they want you to say something false, that confirms your willingness to knuckle under to some politically correct lie. If you say the truth, that will only confirm for people that you're not of the tribe. Give them true knowledge of your feelings, and the tribe will start itching to tear you apart limb from limb.

The need to take a clear political position, guaranteeing to others your faithfulness to what people have agreed is socially acceptable--letting them "know where you stand"--clashes in the most direct possible way with the frame of mind where you respond spontaneously and by inspiration to the inherent "logic"of your material.

A social fiction of "you" gets in the way of putting yourself aside and letting the material be what it is. The social fiction is a left-brain phenomenon that exists only in the social world of sign and symbol. Your sense of "the groove" is a right-brain phenomenon, involving direct, a-social response: you're faithful to the material and not to a preconceived self-definition that other people can count on or understand.

Consequently, TPs often experience "cute" things as attempts to guilt-trip them out of their ability to lock on to "the groove" and follow it wherever it leads. Big false smiles, sad puppy eyes, the word "love", even a hand placed on a shoulder--all are perceived as attempts to shape their responses to things so they're no longer natural, faithful to their material, and untainted by a sense of self: as attempts to overpower or bully them with a threat of ostracization or perhaps a tribal lynching.

FJs, by contrast, have shaped themselves to genuinely feel what one ought to feel in any social situation. They likely expect that everyone has done that, because, after all, that's the only decent way to be. Of course you should be pleased to see a newborn baby, and of course you should be sad to hear of the death of your friend's father. That's what life is all about. How could you possibly feel disgusted by a newborn baby or pleased when a friend's father dies? Why, if you didn't like babies and feel sad about death, you would scarcely be human. You'd be a monster! Paradoxically, this leads to a lack of spontaneity about expression of feeling on the part of ITPs, and genuine spontaneity on the part of EFJs. A person with developed extraverted feeling can trust his emotional response to be OK to share in words, whether it's joy, sadness, fear, or even anger. It might be hard to understand why it's not that way for everyone.

(FJs, especially IFJs, might well not feel what they're supposed to feel about deaths or babies, but Fe typically leads them to wonder if there's something wrong with them. But that's another topic.)

It's a lot like this most of the time...

Last edited:
I am also beginning to think I have so many INTP friends and friends who express emotions in a non-neurotypical fashion is because I am, to a certain degree, an empath.

Getting into fights with my friends is devastating even if I know I am not at fault. I feel all their anger and attempts to make me feel guilt as though they are my own. My friends who are not INTP's know that they cannot do this to me, as it is very bad for me.

2. They may embarrass you in public.

I agree with these statements mostly. Number three in my experience has been more that they don't realize they've hurt my feelings and apologize... later.

I have met and some befriended a significant number of INFJ's---about 20. All around my age.

I have met 3 INTP's. One female around my age and 2 middle-aged female.

I can communicate pleasingly with most INFJ's except for one who betrayed me and my other INFJ friend. I think it's the "easily approachable" signal or some sort.

I also observed that the "deeper" INFJ's have more pronounced weaknesses, mainly with Se. But I get along more with them. Language synch.

I lack sufficient data with INTP's.

I agree with these:

After a few days I got sick of him. It's the Ne that would get to me. Ne and Ni simply do not mix when you get deeper with things, and if I constantly got poked with Ti I would get very annoyed.

They seem to not appreciate how I don't give them any argument fodder, or ever try to argue with them.
-------------

Isn't this everyone? Personally, I believe I'm average when it comes with empathy.

Our minds meet easily, but I doubt our hearts ever could. We can see eye to eye and agree in theory, but I think having to deal with one on a deeper emotional level would be utterly catastrophic.

I like INTPs as buddies, especially as co-workers. And that's as far as I'm willing to go with a stereotypical INTP relationship-wise.