88chaz88

Back for a limited time only
Retired Staff
Mar 17, 2010
MBTI
????
Enneagram
9w1
Post your thoughts on them. How do INFJs view INTPs?

Positives?

Negatives?

Other type threads coming up.

:m2:

First!

Me likey INTP's. When they are developed they are awesomesauce, and when they aren't they are highly amusing, and still good fun.

I really like INTPs.

They're always so.... true.
For lack of better term.
I value this highly in a person.

No offence at all to the INTP's here, but the vast majority of them that I have met in real life drive me nuts, and I largely can not stand them at all. I'm not close friends with any of them (to my knowledge). Their constant nit-picking of facts and semantics, and usual disregard of social orders and or emotions makes me want to bang my head into a wall.

I generally have issues with IxxP types, and that is likely due to my off-the-chart J. Coversely, most of them don't like me very much either.

I really like INTPs.

For lack of better term.

Me likey INTP's. When they are developed they are awesomesauce, and when they aren't they are highly amusing, and still good fun.
I agree :)

They are awesometastic :)

When they become too neutral, it's time to move on for me. Their search for 'truth' is good and great (they're really the best in this), and not to talk about their rationality. So is their action to achieve that, but there are times they went too neutral and become sterilizing and....at times it's bad and attacking because the world isn't neutral all the time.

I really like INTPs.

For lack of better term.
100% agree with this. Huge reason why I fell so hard in love with my husband. :m015:
Of course his Fe might be a little better developed than some INTPs. As long as I don't explode in a wall of emotion he will hear me out, and more than anyone else I have ever been with he is quick to apologize when he has hurt my feelings.

Although I get the feeling a lot of his sensitivity comes without realizing he is actually doing it. Which honestly, though it took me a little bit to get used to, I like even better. Those moments where his sweetness comes out I appreciate all the more because I know how unlike him it is to be that way "just because". I can recognize instantly the sincerity with which he means whatever it is he says and that is a huge comfort to me.

Last edited:
No offence at all to the INTP's here, but the vast majority of them that I have met in real life drive me nuts, and I largely can not stand them at all. I'm not close friends with any of them (to my knowledge). Their constant nit-picking of facts and semantics, and usual disregard of social orders and or emotions makes me want to bang my head into a wall.

I generally have issues with IxxP types, and that is likely due to my off-the-chart J. Coversely, most of them don't like me very much either.

This actually makes me rather proud.
I think it goes without saying that I find the naivety, value on useless social nuances and habit of relying on the volatile, illogical and random nature of emotions equally irritating in the INFJ, of course, that doesn't stop me finding them to be quite lovely. I'd like to have an INFJ friend, but the fact is I don't really have friends at the moment, and INFJ's are especially picky, not so sure I'd deserve one.

Reactions: rawr and Bird
Why didn't you make just one thread about all types? o.o

This actually makes me rather proud.
I think it goes without saying that I find the naivety, value on useless social nuances and habit of relying on the volatile, illogical and random nature of emotions equally irritating in the INFJ, of course, that doesn't stop me finding them to be quite lovely. I'd like to have an INFJ friend, but the fact is I don't really have friends at the moment, and INFJ's are especially picky, not so sure I'd deserve one.

/thread , this is why INTPs drive me up the wall.

I like INTP's just fine. They're fun to geek-out with, and they usually have an impressive arsenal of wit. Picking an INTP's brain is always an interesting endeavor. The trouble is getting them to open up. A lot of them are painfully shy or very stand-offish at first.

The only downside to INTP's is that they often have very low self-esteem and they seem to take it personally when you point out a flaw in their logic or view-point. It's tough being their friend sometimes because they rarely initiate contact and they're usually quite content to remain absorbed in their own little worlds and 'forget' about their social obligations.

Reactions: NeverAmI
I get along with pretty much every type. I am not the most social person but I am genuine so what little I do so say, most listen to. Those who I don't get along with tend to be the types that talk just way too much or what they talk about is skin deep, shallow stuff. Back onto the subject, I love INTP's but there are some things about IxxP's that bug me.

Most of it has to do with the lack of self-confidence, not just in social situations but in anything they are not 100% sure about. It makes it very difficult to do anything with them because they won't give their opinion unless they are a %100 sure which leads a lot of them to acting in a passive aggressive way which I really dislike because being passive aggressive resolves nothing. I love that they like to be sure of something but sometimes a second opinion is needed in order to find the best choice when you don’t have much time to make sure you are 100% sure. This also is part of what makes me love them because I appreciate that innocent, cute side of them but it can be maddening.

I really don't mind the whole indecisiveness when it comes to them because I am not scared to make choices and if I have somebody who provides me with all the information I need to make the choice; I am happy. I cannot think of every alternative, I can't think of every outcome so having a INTP near is always a good thing. They like most types of their unique things that make me love them and some parts that just make me want to strangle them.

I like INTP's just fine. They're fun to geek-out with, and they usually have an impressive arsenal of wit. Picking an INTP's brain is always an interesting endeavor. The trouble is getting them to open up. A lot of them are painfully shy or very stand-offish at first.

The only downside to INTP's is that they often have very low self-esteem and they seem to take it personally when you point out a flaw in their logic or view-point. It's tough being their friend sometimes because they rarely initiate contact and they're usually quite content to remain absorbed in their own little worlds and 'forget' about their social obligations.

Spot on

Haha, well I changed my MBTI label here from INTP to o_O? cause I have no freaking clue anymore, so hopefully that won't taint my response, but I like INTPs a lot too. I think they're direct and nerdy, and usually have an interest in discussing topics I'm interested in too, like philosophy. On the downside they can be unsympathetic dicks, and completely oblivious to how they're affecting other people.

I love my INTPs. The have a kind, even-keeled manor that offsets my crusader pattern, but they, like me, love to talk about ideas. As someone with a low J pref I find there self doubt to be a comfortable and familiar place, but their way of handling it uniquely refreshing.

Basically, im a big time admirer of intps. What some people see as their passivity, I admire because I relate to howbthe gears are turning inthere, and I enjoy watching them find the right outlet.

INTP might talk too much

and get horribly offended when you point it out

I don't think it is that hard to get us to open up, so long as you do not bombard us with Fi and Se based questions. Don't ask us our favorite things or stuff we like to do (although asking us to compare members of a given finite list is ok, so long as we have clear criteria for judging and don't need to identify an absolute favorite). Never tell us there is no wrong answer, as to us that means every response is wrong and there is no possible hope of learning from a mistake. If you ask what something means, never add the words "to you." We'll often give personal opinions as part of speculations following more objective definitions and etymologies when the desire for an objective answer is implied, but when you make it fully subjective you cut off the thought process long before we can reach the point of being open to more subjective responses. We need to anchor on to the objective and expand out from there with extroverted intuition, never jump straight into feeling. We don't really do a whole lot very often, so asking what we do on a typical day/have been doing lately just reminds us of how we are likely to be judged for our laziness.

Outright asking us for out life story is not a bad idea. The door to an INTP's feeling side is his Si. We tend to keep it closed because it is so rare to find someone with the attention span to keep listening long enough for us to reach our main point without cutting us off and drawing horribly wrong conclusions based on partial information, but are generally eager to open up to those who take the time to hear us out.

I wouldn't say that we forget about social obligations of making contact so much as that we over think them and are not ready to respond until it has been so long that we fear any further attempts would just be awkward and make things worse. This is assuming that these obligations are to someone about whom we care, as opposed to the majority of people who don't matter and shouldn't think they deserve contact.
INTP might talk too much

and get horribly offended when you point it out
WHAT! WE MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT!

;) :p

Last edited:
I personally think INTP's are alright.
Here are the Pros and Cons about being an INTP.

Pros:

• Capable of thinking outside of the box on a regular basis.
  • Original with ideas and theory.
  • Observes situations and learns from watching others.
  • Tends to put others first before themselves. Mature INTP's are considerate and caring.
  • Composed in nature, generally easy going and relaxed.
  • Are loyal and true to their word and the people they are close to, such as friends and family.
  • Appreciates complexity.
  • Prefers quality over quantity.
  • Hard working, spends time perfecting what they love doing.
  • Likes to find and offer solutions to problems. Are natural problem solvers.
  • Are not forceful in their approach.
  • Are advocates of common sense.
  • Loves to share knowledge with anyone that is willing to listen and learn.
  • Enjoys researching, asking questions and finding answers.
Cons:

• Comes across as detached and cold.
  • When defensive they come across as witty, sarcastic and cocky.
  • Has trouble understanding decisions and opinions based on emotion rather than logic.
  • Is easily frustrated by concrete thinking.
  • Requires space to work and think, can be overwhelmed in working situations.
  • Works at their own pace and lacks natural time management skills.
  • Tends to isolate themselves when depressed or stressed.
  • Are generally not open about their feelings and emotions.
  • Has trouble accepting criticism.
  • Are not forgiving when it comes to their own mistakes.
  • Will not accept failure, when failure occurs INTP's will dwell on this and will introspect until they have found what resulted in their own failure. Failure for an INTP can lead them to depression.
  • Will generally not engage in spiritual activities or belief. Lacks spiritual awareness.
  • Can be picky with details.
  • Has trouble respecting other peoples views and mindset which doesn't match theirs.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about male INTPs, but on the whole I like them. The mature ones are aces, and they're wonderful to talk to. But INTPc is a minefield and I learned the hard way how a spurned (or perceived spurned) INTP can behave and I did not like it.

The open-endedness of an INTP frustrates me sometimes, because arguments and/or discussions keep going on and on, and it ends up becoming a "agree to disagree" situation.

I love INTP females, though. I always enjoy their wit, sarcasm, and writing prowess, and I have women-crushes on them. :D