[INTP] - INTP/INFJ - The Golden Pair | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

[INTP] INTP/INFJ - The Golden Pair

I looked for a thread like this because I need some anonymous place to drop my emotional junk.
I'm an INFJ Female, in my early 30s. I recently fell in love with an INTP male, barely 30, but very recently I was told that I'm one of the most important people in his life but that he only sees me as a very important friend. This, after it took me so much courage to finally confess.

Right now, I feel so damned upset, rejected and in great disbelief. I counted my intuition, read so many blogs and books on INTP Males being in love and I was so sure and so certain and so sure that I got this in the bag--- that he truly, deeply, absolutely cared for me. And he did, except just as a friend, he said, and only intellectually--- not romantically, not sexually. He sees me for wits, he likes me very much, he says, and he has never felt so much value for a friendship in his life and I am in that category, but only as a friend. I want to cry.

I'm upset because it feels unfair because as an INFJ, I had sworn off romantic interest for a very long while. I love deeply; my last heartbreak devastated me and I never wanted to be in another again. I was so sure that I was ruined for other men. When this INTP came, all the alarm signals went off, and I kept my distance fearing the worst but he was so persistent. He constantly barged into my space, sought corners inside of my head that I wondered what he was looking for. Because he was younger, I thought it'd be harmless to just humor the entire situation and join group dinners. But dinners with friends became dinners, movie nights for two but all on the premise of friendship. We learned to rely on each other, do chores for each other and again, all on the premise of friendship. We never called them dates. We never got physical. I said, I drew my lines. But his loyalty drew me in, his faithfulness--- he was never dating anyone during this time: a year, a couple or so. Somewhere along the way, he just started to reside in my head and stayed there permanently. But I swear I saw the way he looked at me and even though, he always treated me with respect; I have never felt so loved and valued. And our conversations were so intellectual, interesting, endless. Needless to say, I started falling in love. I really really felt so much clarity and I was so sure that he is the one---now I'm doubting my intuition (am I even really INFJ?) Does INFJ intuition regularly fail?

At first, I thought he loved me but had struggle confessing because I was the older, more accomplished one. I never really let joking advances advance--- I wasn't sure what I felt. When he started telling me about people he liked however, I started to feel panicked: I did not like the idea of losing him to an average girl he met elsewhere. When I noticed odd behavior (he was usually glued to my presence but on several nights, he wasn't), I decided to confess---- tell him frankly how I felt. And he told me frankly that I was only just a friend. I still think I saw pain in his glassy eyes that night we talked--but as I doubt my intuition, I now doubt what I saw.

Now, I think that if he ever did like me romantically once, then logically, he would have confessed. He wouldn't have dragged me around. We wouldn't have stayed in just a convenient relationship--he would have sealed it. I understand INTPs weigh and scrutinize their love decisions from all angles. I must have just failed to hit the mark for him, and he simply must have decided that I am not worth it. He is the more attractive one; there's plenty of fish out there in the ocean for him.

Now, however, I unintentionally put him in the infamous INFJ emotional door slam. The night we talked, I was very collected and I must have made it seem like nothing would change between us but as the days came and he tried to keep things the same, I couldn't for the love of whatever, keep a straight face. I can't even look him in the eye so much. Maybe it's my pain, but I am definitely recognizing these signs--- I will be doorslamming him, especially now that he has confessed to wanting to date someone else. He said he wants to keep things the same between us, and he disagreed so blatantly when I said that there would have to be changes now that there's someone else in the equation. But I made it clear that I can no longer put up with us. He respects it, he says. And he tries to give me space as much as he can, now, but it really does still hurt me especially each time he shows how much he cares. But now I wonder if I'm even only just imagining that he cares--- for all I know, he's not even in distraught about the precariousness of our situation.

I know, I recognize, he won't change the way he feels about me. INTPs are notorious for their honesty, I doubt that his statement meant anything other than we can only be just friends. But I can't help but be hopeful that the door slam would hurt him more than it hurts me now, that he'd need me and miss me. I read somewhere that INTPs tend to re evaluate their situation with new data--- I wonder if knowing what I truly felt would be enough new data for him to want to reassess. I still think we fit each other. We are good for each other. But given the notorious stubbornness of INTPs, I think, I know I have to accept that this is over...

To the INTPs out there, male, please tell me that I am right to completely let him go. Please tell me that he will be fine with losing our friendship, for my peace. I have been so overridden in guilt because I feel like my feelings have inconvenienced us both, him especially. It's rare for him to have treasured friends who sees him for who he is, and now I'm taking the warmth away. But I just can't stay still within our norms. I can't give him what he wants: I can't cheer him on as he pursue a new relationship. I just can't. So I need to know he will be fine without me and I know he will be, I just hope he isn't hurting so much.. I know he would but... You're INTP, please tell me. Is there anything I haven't covered? I won't apologize for how I feel nor hate him for not being able to see me as more. I guess, I need to hear you INTPs say again and again that he would never change his mind about us anymore... that any imaginations of romance are simply not on the table. I don't even know why I still need validation despite having heard him say repeatedly that there was no chance for us to be more than friends. Gah.

To the INFJs out there, I need advice on how to move forward. This rejection is outstanding to me. I still can't believe I got my intuition wrong. But I am determined to move forward, forget us entirely.

I don't know if we can ever be friends again, but for now, my emotions have overtaken me and I find it hard to be in the same space as him. So, yes, so much for the golden INTP-INFJ pairdom.

Ugh, that is a shitty situation. I'm sorry to hear about it.

I don't know about INFJ vs. INTP or any of that jazz. I've sort of abandoned typology and its generalizations. But from what you've described here, it sounds like this person was using you. Maybe not consciously, but it seems like they enjoyed the validation you provided without having to commit to anything. I suspect the age difference between you might be a consideration, but this is just going off what you've shared. Big picture wise, I think you made the right call in emotionally distancing yourself... not just because the behavior you describe seems off, but also because your dedication to this person may have been interfering with opportunities to meet someone who wants to build the kind of relationship with you that you want.

Moving on is not going to be easy. Not at first. It sounds like you really cared about this person and letting go isn't that simple... but it is not impossible. My suggestion is to express your grief. Express your hurt. Talk to a therapist, talk to your friends, talk to people online, write journals, letters to him that you'll never send. Be as honest and raw as you can be. Even be dramatic--- don't hold yourself back. Listen to sad songs, watch sad movies, cry, visit the places special to the two of you and cry some more. It might be that it takes you a few days. It might take you a few weeks. Don't judge yourself for it. Express, express, express. But each time you do, once the worst of those feelings ebb away, make a list of ten things that you've gained from this experience: life lessons, room for new opportunities, etc. After a while, you'll find that expressing starts to feel repetitive. Find an outlet that is exterior to yourself. Help someone. Volunteer somewhere. Listen to a friend. Pick up a new book or show or start a new project. Go out on a date, no strings or expectations attached -- just a chance to meet someone new.

Allow yourself to take it slow. Take it a day at a time, or an hour at a time, whatever is easier. You'll make it through. We all have intuitive fails from time to time. We all experience heartbreak. It's part of being human. You're perfectly imperfect <3

than i also would not waste my time in some nonsense bluff at all. :)

good luck with your farce. and you cannot do anything anymore for anything simply spoiled. ;)

and come on ( madam ) act directly instead of indirect propaganda for which i dont give piss at all. ;)

but still i have to admit that very clever in making propaganda. ( really sound clever you actually are )

very expert in making propaganda ( sound expert ) and certainly truthfully it is said that all western advanture to keep people in darkness.

and by propaganda you cannot suppress the truth. ( rascal women )
smh

Also, INTPs aren’t stubborn about this stuff

We might not initiate but if we like you we will work towards progress

I’m sorry this didn’t work out right now

I understand you need to do what works for you

I don’t feel like this is a doorslam

I guess, if he picked up the phone and said something like

“Hey, you mean a lot to me. I’m sorry things got tangled and twisted. I’ve come to the realization that I care about you a lot and would like to give things a chance to progress. Are you up for that?”

What would your response be? If it’s yeah, I would be interested but he’d have to x, y and z, then that’s an ego issue

If you want nothing to do with this person ever again because you didn’t get what you wanted, I’d check that. I feel for you, I really do. That’s harder to do than cutting someone out who is a jerk and deserves to be cut out aka doorslammed

Yes I would be interested, but I will have to explain to him that it hurt me and I would have to ask him why he couldn't manage to be honest with me that night. I don't know if it makes sense, if I should just charge it to the INFJ hypersensitivity, but somehow I sensed that he was lying. It was the way his voice trailed off or maybe it was because he couldn't bear to keep telling me something painful. Or maybe I'm just wrong because INFJs can get these things wrong so astoundingly.

In any case, him as a person is very complex. At first, I just thought his logic was too mundane and that he'd never be my type but as we spent more time together, I learned that there were emotional depths to him that I grew to appreciate. When he became emotionally honest with me, I appreciated it and I just wanted to be there for him since then, constantly. I think that's when I grew to see him as more than just a friend.

I have been changing our norms, trying to stick within group socializations only. I don't ignore him altogether because all of our friends have been so used to second guessing whatever is going on with us, I just don't want to involve other people in the mess. It's good that it's just the two of us who understand the issue. It's hard because he's using this to "work through progress" as you said. I believe this is his point about not giving up our friendship. He is convinced that our "bestfriend connection" doesn't come around so often so while he is giving me space, allowing me to slip out of dinners and movie nights with him, he is determined to talk to me when we're in a social setting. He tries hard to make me laugh. Do stupid comic antics and he's content when I just honor it for the sake of everybody else's discomfort. I would appreciate it if he would stop telling me things about his life anymore but he refuses to stop doing that on the grounds of sticking by keeping our friendship.

To be honest, I no longer know if he's understating my confession or if he's just ignoring it rather than confronting it. He gets distressed whenever I am too distanced and I notice how this affects everybody else in our circle so I don't push it out too much.

I just really wish I could be over this soon, though.

I don't know about INFJ vs. INTP or any of that jazz. I've sort of abandoned typology and its generalizations. But from what you've described here, it sounds like this person was using you. Maybe not consciously, but it seems like they enjoyed the validation you provided without having to commit to anything. I suspect the age difference between you might be a consideration, but this is just going off what you've shared. Big picture wise, I think you made the right call in emotionally distancing yourself... not just because the behavior you describe seems off, but also because your dedication to this person may have been interfering with opportunities to meet someone who wants to build the kind of relationship with you that you want.

Moving on is not going to be easy. Not at first. It sounds like you really cared about this person and letting go isn't that simple... but it is not impossible. My suggestion is to express your grief. Express your hurt. Talk to a therapist, talk to your friends, talk to people online, write journals, letters to him that you'll never send. Be as honest and raw as you can be. Even be dramatic--- don't hold yourself back. Listen to sad songs, watch sad movies, cry, visit the places special to the two of you and cry some more. It might be that it takes you a few days. It might take you a few weeks. Don't judge yourself for it. Express, express, express. But each time you do, once the worst of those feelings ebb away, make a list of ten things that you've gained from this experience: life lessons, room for new opportunities, etc. After a while, you'll find that expressing starts to feel repetitive. Find an outlet that is exterior to yourself. Help someone. Volunteer somewhere. Listen to a friend. Pick up a new book or show or start a new project. Go out on a date, no strings or expectations attached -- just a chance to meet someone new.

Allow yourself to take it slow. Take it a day at a time, or an hour at a time, whatever is easier. You'll make it through. We all have intuitive fails from time to time. We all experience heartbreak. It's part of being human. You're perfectly imperfect <3

Thank you so much for this. I absolutely needed to hear this. I came to this forum because I feel like I need to vent. To have somewhere to discuss what I need to have discussed that I can't anymore in my real life setting. Yes, I vow to put myself first from here on. And yes, I do think that to a certain degree, he did use me. I want so much believe that it was special to him at the least to take the pity I feel onto myself. I want to excuse myself for being an idiot that I let it happen. And yet somehow, I can't immediately turn the care and the affection off. I just really want to stop caring for him.

Hard to say if they were using the person if intentions were not clearly laid out by either party. After they were more explicit, things have been sorted more and being shifted to balance “fairness”

Yes I would be interested, but I will have to explain to him that it hurt me and I would have to ask him why he couldn't manage to be honest with me that night. I don't know if it makes sense, if I should just charge it to the INFJ hypersensitivity, but somehow I sensed that he was lying. It was the way his voice trailed off or maybe it was because he couldn't bear to keep telling me something painful. Or maybe I'm just wrong because INFJs can get these things wrong so astoundingly.

In any case, him as a person is very complex. At first, I just thought his logic was too mundane and that he'd never be my type but as we spent more time together, I learned that there were emotional depths to him that I grew to appreciate. When he became emotionally honest with me, I appreciated it and I just wanted to be there for him since then, constantly. I think that's when I grew to see him as more than just a friend.

I have been changing our norms, trying to stick within group socializations only. I don't ignore him altogether because all of our friends have been so used to second guessing whatever is going on with us, I just don't want to involve other people in the mess. It's good that it's just the two of us who understand the issue. It's hard because he's using this to "work through progress" as you said. I believe this is his point about not giving up our friendship. He is convinced that our "bestfriend connection" doesn't come around so often so while he is giving me space, allowing me to slip out of dinners and movie nights with him, he is determined to talk to me when we're in a social setting. He tries hard to make me laugh. Do stupid comic antics and he's content when I just honor it for the sake of everybody else's discomfort. I would appreciate it if he would stop telling me things about his life anymore but he refuses to stop doing that on the grounds of sticking by keeping our friendship.

To be honest, I no longer know if he's understating my confession or if he's just ignoring it rather than confronting it. He gets distressed whenever I am too distanced and I notice how this affects everybody else in our circle so I don't push it out too much.

I just really wish I could be over this soon, though.

Yeah if you’re not okay with being friends. He has to learn right now to back off. You’re right

Rejection sucks and he should know better than to pretend as if nothing is there and try to smooth things over

Sorry you’re dealing with this

Hard to say if they were using the person if intentions were not clearly laid out by either party. After they were more explicit, things have been sorted more and being shifted to balance “fairness”
Yes except right now, my definition of balance is to cut him off, which I believe is more of an ego issue on my part. I see it to be necessary, however. If he continues with the pretensions, I just might cap it off for good for my sake but I'm not entirely sure what that would do and I still don't want to upset everybody else around us. Diplomacy over feelings, hopefully.

Yes except right now, my definition of balance is to cut him off, which I believe is more of an ego issue on my part. I see it to be necessary, however. If he continues with the pretensions, I just might cap it off for good for my sake but I'm not entirely sure what that would do and I still don't want to upset everybody else around us. Diplomacy over feelings, hopefully.

At the end of the day, your feelings are at the extreme end and it's not where you want them to be and its not fair to expect you to uphold a friendship when its interfering with your ability to let go. If he's your friend and he cares about you, he should honor that and give you your space. If he insists on pushing a friendship with you and acting as if things are normal, it certainly would paint the picture that he's interested only in maintaining his comfort rather than giving you what you need to sort out your feelings.

Make your feelings and your person a priority. Once you come back to yourself, you'll be in a better position to judge if a friendship with him is worth pursuing again. His behavior during your healing period will tell you what you need to know. But don't focus on what he does. Focus on you. If it means cutting off contact for a while, then so be it. It may be that you decide that you can't be friends with him again because the feelings might come back and if that's how it is, that's how it is.

But give yourself time and space to decide.

I don’t think you cutting him off is an ego issue. It’s healthy. You wanted love, he doesn’t, so that’s just a mismatch of desires. He has to go, unfortunately

For now

I see you have options here still, so please be patient with this because sometimes deep connections are worth dealing with the bumps to get there

It sounds like things didn’t quite progress smoothly, and it’s no one’s fault per se. Good on you for your bravery of mentioning intentions. Good on you for rejecting his current shenanigans

Now just let it burn

Best thing for you to do if possible is to cut him off completely. It’s not really a doorslam though

Give him a chance to miss you and protect your feelings

The ball is in his court to come back and ask to pursue you so-to-speak. He has to know that you are hurt and needs to fix your ego a bit, too. Just don’t let the ego get in the way of what you want. If you want him, when he comes back, you must accept him and do not blame him

I beg of you for both of you

Those are two very different voices but it says one thing: that I should put myself first. That I should heal and that I should not be ashamed about needing to heal. That I should not let my self-esteem go down the pit because of his rejection; that I should not blame myself for any of our pain, or just mine if not his.

Maybe in the future, it will just be one thing to laugh about. Maybe it won't. Nonetheless, I will need to find it in me to be okay.

It makes me want to sing that Burn song by neo. Sorry I need a laugh.

I was actually laughing at Cleveland for being hypocritical in advising you to burn bridges since he came here very adamant that it's a terrible horrible thing to do

Reactions: Lady Jolanda
Thank you so much for this. I absolutely needed to hear this. I came to this forum because I feel like I need to vent. To have somewhere to discuss what I need to have discussed that I can't anymore in my real life setting. Yes, I vow to put myself first from here on. And yes, I do think that to a certain degree, he did use me. I want so much believe that it was special to him at the least to take the pity I feel onto myself. I want to excuse myself for being an idiot that I let it happen. And yet somehow, I can't immediately turn the care and the affection off. I just really want to stop caring for him.

When we say somebody 'used' us, I suppose it sounds like it was done deliberately, but few people are mustache-twirling villains fully conscious of the consequences of their actions. Most people are just focused on the actions that make sense to them and not how they affect other people. This is why it's so vital for us sensitive, self-effacing types to recognize when we're being stepped on and enforce our boundaries.

You certainly didn't realize this was going in the direction it was going in, otherwise, I guarantee you wouldn't have let it develop the way it had. Don't beat yourself up for not seeing something you hadn't encountered in this form before. Take this as a lesson illuminating your blind spots and where you want to draw future boundaries. Ask yourself what this experience has taught you about what you expect from a relationship, what you want, what you don't want, and what other boundaries you ought to have in place to ensure respect for your best self and your best partner. And each future experience will have you refining those parameters. This is perfectly normal.

This person isn't right for you at the moment. He may be right for you later or he may never be right for you, ever. But this lesson he's prompted you to learn IS right for you right now. Take the opportunity to learn what you can from it. You're not an idiot for stumbling. We all stumble. You'd only be an idiot if you realized this was wrong and carried on as if you hadn't had the realization at all.

Last edited:
I was actually laughing at Cleveland for being hypocritical in advising you to burn bridges since he came here very adamant that it's a terrible horrible thing to do

Hahaha. Touche. I think INTP-INFJ connections are some of the most complex things out there that to gain perspective is very important. I'm mostly amused because I understand what Cleveland is talking about being at the cold end of burnt bridges. For example, I am expecting that if I would be too harsh to the INTP of my affection, he would probably react with as much distress. For example, blocking him on social media would catapult him to stress kingdom and would lead to my being antagonized for my rejection. Funny because I would say that it isn't healthy too because it doesn't leave room for discussion, and thus completely removes the opportunity to arrive at a mature solution. That said, the doorslam does nothing. I believe INTPs prefer to find the solution than to be lost in the drama. Yet, that is conflicting to me nonetheless because my feelings have overcame me completely and honestly, submitting to my drama and whining about it every chance I get feels like a legitimate coping mechanism although logically it is dramatic and pointless despite my feeling just as distraught. I mean, feelings are not pointless. It speaks how we really feel and desire things. These are valid emotions but I have learned that no amount of validity makes whining any less irritable or problems any more resolved. Although I really am whining, internally, when points are laid and placidly discussed, it is more productive. So then, i run to a hidden world (forum) where I can be as whiny as I ought to be inside and emotionally disengage from my real world to keep it placid while I pursue my healing process by discussing my pain. Well then the point is that, nothing that can be talked about is without resolution and emotions are always valid because it is how we gain a deeper perspective of ourselves and our inner desires. And INTP-INFJs? ever complex. Simultaneously complex and golden: exactly the kind of beauty both types are enamoured by.

When we say somebody 'used' us, I suppose it sounds like it was done deliberately, but few people are mustache-twirling villains fully conscious of the consequences of their actions. Most people are just focused on the actions that make sense to them and not how they affect other people. This is why it's so vital for us sensitive, self-effacing types to recognize when we're being stepped on and enforce our boundaries.

You certainly didn't realize this was going in the direction it was going in, otherwise, I guarantee you wouldn't have let it develop the way it had. Don't beat yourself up for not seeing something you hadn't encountered in this form before. Take this as a lesson illuminating your blind spots and where you want to draw future boundaries. Ask yourself what this experience has taught you about what you expect from a relationship, what you want, what you don't want, and what other boundaries you ought to have in place to ensure respect for your best self and your best partner. And each future experience will have you refining those parameters. This is perfectly normal.

This person isn't right for you at the moment. He may be right for you later or he may never be right for you, ever. But this lesson he's prompted you to learn IS right for you right now. Take the opportunity to learn what you can from it. You're not an idiot for stumbling. We all stumble. You'd only be an idiot if you realized this was wrong and carried on as if you hadn't had the realization at all.

Hahahahaha basically I learned that when a guy tries to get into my head and holds me in my sleep, I should wake up immediately and ask him why. I waited too long, hoped too much that he would just choose me on his own. In the end, I wasn't chosen at all. Hahahahaha. Gosh relationships are so hard to navigate. It's so much easier to just watch people do foolish things. Why did I even get here? Hahahaha. I should just proceed with my advocacies...

Reactions: ClevelandINTP

Just being positive here is all. Not saying to burn bridges, “let it burn” means something very very different, man

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=let+it+burn&amp=true

Being quiet to protect yourself and let things sort out while keeping the possibility of interest open is not burning a bridge

Don’t get it tangled and twisted, homie

Reactions: Wyote and mintoots
Honestly, your behavior and calling me hypocritical is a little offensive

Hahahahaha basically I learned that when a guy tries to get into my head and holds me in my sleep, I should wake up immediately and ask him why. I waited too long, hoped too much that he would just choose me on his own. In the end, I wasn't chosen at all. Hahahahaha. Gosh relationships are so hard to navigate. It's so much easier to just watch people do foolish things. Why did I even get here? Hahahaha. I should just proceed with my advocacies...

*hugs*

When relationships suck, they suck. But when they work, they're beautiful. You'll find one that's right ❤