Internet relationships | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Internet relationships

Internet relationships can and do work, some people can't deal with the distance, others can. The internet is really a saviour for INFJs who not only find it difficult to find people they are attracted to but also find the traditional dating thing impenetrable.

Or ISTP's who find the same thing.

I think for online relationships, it's easier to idealize the other person for which you have feelings for, then it is in real life. Based on the little information the other person has given you over the internet, you begin to fill in the gaps of what you still don't know about such prospect.

I think this is a real problem for anyone who lives in a dream world. I think if someone can take a step back and say, "what are the facts"....and ask enough questions... then you can gain a pretty good idea of who someone is. If there is no/very little RL meetings then the relationship is doomed anyways.
I met Night online and it has been a passionate love from the beginning...well...he was helping me date another INTP for a little bit ;) but after I saw who was the better man....come hell or high water it was a match made in heaven...My Lovemate...we are crazy about each other. I think it was really good that we spent so much time talking in the beginning, and getting to know each other before we threw another complex angle into the mix.
People forget to talk especially when sex is the first thing they do. Talking is a good place to start in any relationship...online or RL.

Reactions: sassafras
I think if you want to make it work you have to try and go out of your way to reveal the true you, warts and all.

If someone is being dishonest, witholding or misleading about themselves they'll be found out soon enough just like in real life.

Reactions: Rogue
Would love to believe that who someone appears to be online is the same in person. But it's not always the case, and not for the reasons most people think. It's not that the person is hiding who they are or trying to deceive. It's just the nature of technology. When you don't have the chance to see, hear, or even touch someone you're interested in, it gives an incomplete picture. It's not the whole person.

Reactions: dark_angel
The beauty of online relationships is the unending capacity of each person to hold the projections of the other. (Res, you are so hot) {I wonder if Res is a woman}

The beauty of online relationships is the unending capacity of each person to hold the projections of the other. (Res, you are so hot) {I wonder if Res is a woman}

Thx. A. lol

In one right now, though since we've met and spent time irl with each other its just a normal long distance relationship.
Despite the distance its dandy. Totally worth it if you happen to find someone Awesome online. However you do have to spend more money than most introverts in a relationship though, but thats the only barrier.
Distance sucks the worst after a tiff. :m142:
lol and you have to actually TALK it out :) ....any make up love comes way later... sigh...

I don't think I would have enough trust to want to get involved with someone online. I mean most everyone here makes up a name and picks an avatar--where is the authenticity in that? I think it is too easy to be someone you are not online. Interaction with someone is the only way I can build attraction with someone. This is just more than typing words, it is seeing and laughing and being real without the edit button to back you up.

Last edited:
I don't think I would have enough trust to want to get involved with someone online. I mean most everyone here makes up a name and picks an avatar--where is the authenticity in that?

My name and avatar are not arbitrary but rather have some(albeit unusual at times) meaning to me as a person

I think there is a point where you move past what you see on their page and start a real relationship...committment, sacrifice, love, give and receive, talking, finding time to be together....

you have to actually TALK it out :)
Yup, and we tend to do so before we have to say goodnight for the day. Tiffs don't really happen in the serious sense though, nothing huge enough to cause either of us to be mad longer than an hour.

Yup, and we tend to do so before we have to say goodnight for the day. Tiffs don't really happen in the serious sense though, nothing huge enough to cause either of us to be mad longer than an hour.
how long have yall been dating?

i don't think i can ever establish a "relationship" online (using that word), but after meeting up anything goes. before meeting i prefer things to stay relatively platonic for the sake of both (all?) parties.

i don't think i can ever establish a "relationship" online (using that word), but after meeting up anything goes. before meeting i prefer things to stay relatively platonic for the sake of both (all?) parties.

On line love can be pretty sweet:mhula: and extremely deep...then when you meet IRL it is like you have been best-friends your whole life.

how long have yall been dating?
Officially, since march of this year, but it feels longer, in a very good way. Helps spending every free moment together XD. We started the constant contact thing gradually up from September of last year.

On line love can be pretty sweet:mhula: and extremely deep...then when you meet IRL it is like you have been best-friends your whole life.
i can see how that would happen, but for me it's hard to fall in love with a bunch of pixels, and when i did meet irl with one person it was a little disappointing at first, honestly. i can't help it.

i can see how that would happen, but for me it's hard to fall in love with a bunch of pixels, and when i did meet irl with one person it was a little disappointing at first, honestly. i can't help it.
Webcams, voice chat, etc are very important. I never dated someone who I didn't know what they looked like in detail, online or not.

Webcams, voice chat, etc are very important. I never dated someone who I didn't know what they looked like in detail, online or not.
yeah, i agree with all of that when one is hoping specifically for the online relationship to turn "real".

I see your point but my F says there is a real heart on the other end. I would want to have a pic up front...that is just me...and maybe a phone call or two.
I talked to Night on the phone about one minute before I met him...and.....well....his voice threw me....I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that....milk chocolate......smoothe :D So when he walked through the door. I about died. Very traumatic ;) lol But then I calmed down and he was amazing...

Internet relationships - the thought i think is intriguing but not always as great in reality as it is in theory. I do think it's possible to start something online - it depends on the people, their personality, and how much they reveal about themselves to each other or online. Once both people get to know each other, talking on the phone as a next step helps. One thing i do like about internet communities is that people can get to know you personally before seeing you. That can make it a little less uncomfortable when relating to people if you meet them in person. It's really difficult to meet people offline today, since most are paired off or too easily dismiss someone who's not immediately their "type." So, internet can be a different way to approach getting to know people before deciding whether to pursue a relationship. Of course, it doesn't always work, nor is anything ever guaranteed. Same could be said for relationships formed irl.

Last edited: