Feb 27, 2009
MBTI
none
Enneagram
none
spacer.gif

For NAI and the other INFPs :D

INFP On A Team

The following is adapted from Linda V. Berens, Linda K. Ernst and Melissa Smith, Quick Guide to the 16 Personality Types and Teams (Telos Publications, 2005) *Used with permission.

How INFPs Build Relationships
For them, team relationships are about making space for others to participate fully. They like to help others accept themselves and believe in themselves. They have a talent for reading between the lines, hearing what hasn

Reactions: Morgain
INFP On A Team

The following is adapted from Linda V. Berens, Linda K. Ernst and Melissa Smith, Quick Guide to the 16 Personality Types and Teams (Telos Publications, 2005) *Used with permission.

For them, team relationships are about making space for others to participate fully. They like to help others accept themselves and believe in themselves. They have a talent for reading between the lines, hearing what hasn’t been said, and getting a sense of what needs to be said and done.

They want others to have a sense of purpose and ethics and to be congruent with these in their behavior. Knowing people’s intentions helps them feel comfortable with their relationships on the team. They honor and accept as valid the communication or feeling teammates express when sharing something that is important to them—and expect others to do the same.

They often relate through stories and metaphors, bridging differences by emphasizing and building on similarities and providing gentle encouragement. Sharing beliefs is important to them, yet it is sometimes difficult for them to put into words the things that really matter to them. They tend to do a lot of mental rehearsal in problem solving so may appear quiet and withdrawn in team meetings.

How INFPs Deal with Conflict
Their first response to conflict is usually to wait and see what is involved. Then they will go with the flow of what is happening, working to bring out all sides of an issue and resolve deeper issues that are likely at the root of the conflict. The worst kind of conflict to them occurs when their values are challenged as not worthy or when they feel a sense of betrayal. They want people, themselves included, to be listened to with respect and openness.

To Forge Better Relationships with INFPs…
Provide a team environment that holds a sense of integrity and opportunities for fostering wholeness, harmony, mental health, and growth in others. Be sure to validate and affirm them as individuals. Give them the flexibility to capitalize on bursts of energy and not be berated for the lulls in between. Recognize the value in their impressions rather than force them to be explicit. Let them work alone as they need to, yet provide them with opportunities to meaningfully connect with others. Most of all, help them find personal meaning in the team project.

How INFPs Approach Doing Work
They have a tendency to go with the flow until they have enough information to integrate into a complete picture. They like to play with a lot of ideas. If they get a sense that things are not going in the right direction, they will make suggestions to try to turn the situation around. Their usually gentle informing style is amazingly powerful. When they are dedicated to a purpose, they can be tireless in their search for supporting information and data.

How INFPs Make Decisions
They tend to make fast decisions about whether something or someone is congruent or not but may decide slowly about what actions to take and what direction to pursue. They want to be sure they’ve got all the information, and then once they get a clear sense that important values are not violated and actions will be congruent with those values, then they act quickly. Inaction may result if personal values conflict with the external demands for action or if many differing values have to be reconciled and unified in one decision.

How INFPs Respond to Change
When change is necessary, they tend to hold tight to a kind of artistic control, checking for congruity with values. They are open to change when they have some creative input into the process and they feel the change will increase the likelihood of an even higher quality outcome. They will want to be sure everyone’s voice is heard and consensus is reached wherever possible.

This is VERY GOOD. All of it is true of me, but the bold is exceptional.

For them, team relationships are about making space for others to participate fully. They like to help others accept themselves and believe in themselves. They have a talent for reading between the lines, hearing what hasn

INFP On A Team

For them, team relationships are about making space for others to participate fully. They like to help others accept themselves and believe in themselves. They have a talent for reading between the lines, hearing what hasn’t been said, and getting a sense of what needs to be said and done. They want others to have a sense of purpose and ethics and to be congruent with these in their behavior. Knowing people’s intentions helps them feel comfortable with their relationships on the team. They honor and accept as valid the communication or feeling teammates express when sharing something that is important to them—and expect others to do the same. They often relate through stories and metaphors, bridging differences by emphasizing and building on similarities and providing gentle encouragement. Sharing beliefs is important to them, yet it is sometimes difficult for them to put into words the things that really matter to them. They tend to do a lot of mental rehearsal in problem solving so may appear quiet and withdrawn in team meetings.

How INFPs Deal with Conflict
Their first response to conflict is usually to wait and see what is involved. Then they will go with the flow of what is happening, working to bring out all sides of an issue and resolve deeper issues that are likely at the root of the conflict. The worst kind of conflict to them occurs when their values are challenged as not worthy or when they feel a sense of betrayal. They want people, themselves included, to be listened to with respect and openness.

To Forge Better Relationships with INFPs…
Provide a team environment that holds a sense of integrity and opportunities for fostering wholeness, harmony, mental health, and growth in others. Be sure to validate and affirm them as individuals. Give them the flexibility to capitalize on bursts of energy and not be berated for the lulls in between. Recognize the value in their impressions rather than force them to be explicit. Let them work alone as they need to, yet provide them with opportunities to meaningfully connect with others. Most of all, help them find personal meaning in the team project.

How INFPs Approach Doing Work
They have a tendency to go with the flow until they have enough information to integrate into a complete picture. They like to play with a lot of ideas. If they get a sense that things are not going in the right direction, they will make suggestions to try to turn the situation around. Their usually gentle informing style is amazingly powerful.
When they are dedicated to a purpose, they can be tireless in their search for supporting information and data.

How INFPs Make Decisions
They tend to make fast decisions about whether something or someone is congruent or not but may decide slowly about what actions to take and what direction to pursue. They want to be sure they’ve got all the information, and then once they get a clear sense that important values are not violated and actions will be congruent with those values, then they act quickly. Inaction may result if personal values conflict with the external demands for action or if many differing values have to be reconciled and unified in one decision.

How INFPs Respond to Change
When change is necessary, they tend to hold tight to a kind of artistic control, checking for congruity with values. They are open to change when they have some creative input into the process and they feel the change will increase the likelihood of an even higher quality outcome. They will want to be sure everyone’s voice is heard and consensus is reached wherever possible.

Source: http://www.bestfittype.com/infponateam.html

Ha..I do see some INFP in me..the INFJ one matched the best however.

I'm starting to believe I'm more INFP than INFJ, specialy with people. All the above is true for me and maches better than the INFJ on a team!

I seek more for autenticity and value in people than that I have the urge to help them out

I'm starting to believe I'm more INFP than INFJ, specialy with people. All the above is true for me and maches better than the INFJ on a team!

I seek more for autenticity and value in people than that I have the urge to help them out

hmmmm, maybe you should look into your cognitive processes a bit more...

and remember, you don't have to have ALL tendencies of one type to be that type, and just because you may have SOME tendencies of a type, it does not mean you're that type, it takes a lot to finally determine which type you really are because there are a lot of things to take into account. i'm not an expert but those are my two cents. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverAmI

and remember, you don't have to have ALL tendencies of one type to be that type, and just because you may have SOME tendencies of a type, it does not mean you're that type, it takes a lot to finally determine which type you really are because there are a lot of things to take into account. i'm not an expert but those are my two cents. :)

x2

yes I know. Lately I have taken two cognitive tests and my Ni and Fi score almost the same. One time Ni is highest and the other time Fi. Fe comes after that and Ne somewhere in the middle. I think I'm a hibrid :becky:

yes I know. Lately I have taken two cognitive tests and my Ni and Fi score almost the same. One time Ni is highest and the other time Fi. Fe comes after that and Ne somewhere in the middle. I think I'm a hibrid :becky:

Where do your Ne and Fe stand?

My Ne is considerably higher than my Fe, or at least that was the case on my last test.

Your set in your sig:Ni = Fi >> Fe > Ti >> Ne >> Si >> Te > Se --> INFJ - INFP

Looks more INFJ to me...a strong Fi is not uncommon for us INFJ's specially in the way many of the questions are worded..we are usually very private and reserved something you would not expect from Fe, and then I see an INFJ like set, which ignoring your Fi...Ni>Fe>Ti is the exact order of our first 3 functions.

Where do your Ne and Fe stand?

My Ne is considerably higher than my Fe, or at least that was the case on my last test.

Fi - 26
Ni - 25
Si - 19
Fe - 18
Ti - 17
Ne - 16
Se - 10
Te - 9

sometimes Fi and Ni switches. Fe is always lower and Ne lower than Fe
But the tests say I'm INFP or maybe INFJ

I can identify with some of this. There are commonalities within NF team-styles. The biggest difference is I will not be passive-agressive with anything (or at least I try not to be), and I am very resistent to any kind of change, and will often try to work my way out of having to do so.

It's probably Forer effect so do not jump to conclusions just yet.

And I do know that I don't get along very well with INFPs and INTPs on the team :p

And I do know that I don't get along very well with INFPs and INTPs on the team :p

lol really??From the description I would be able to get a long with them, but that's in theory..ESTJ/ESTP give me an extremely uncomfortable time however.

I am quietly direct when I feel the team is going no where. I end up pointing out the fact that there is unproductivity, and gently make observations to help it begin somehow if I can see the best way to start.

When at work at the facility, I dread being in the team setting because I don't acually want to talk with my partner about anything because I am too busy concentrating on the work.

When the care is going well and it is almost time to be finished with a resident, I will talk a bit then, but generally I am not wanting to be social there.

During breaks, I go outside and sit by myself somewhere to manage my hatred of being in a facility setting and all it entails.

I much prefer home resident care...

What kind of conflicts do you most often have with INFP/INTP?