infjs generally know more about themselves than any other type | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

infjs generally know more about themselves than any other type

Shaz, every word of your post was great.

I think....INFJ obsess a bit more about it than most types...shoot, I'm more into self-searching than almost all of my friends are. They remind me of that whenever I start to talk about it :B
But I guess what it boils down to is that we sometimes feel "different"...I know that was what it was for me.

However, the idea that INFJs know more as a rule is a bit of a strong generalization. I think we might be quicker to look, but I don't think that there's any real strength to that argument.

I've been better able to understand myself after getting into MBTI, but I still don't think I do very well at all. I'm not all that much concerned about it anyways...there are so many other things for my mind to focus on that it ends up not being a priority.

Last edited:
I think I was definitely surprised when I began to realise that I really was quite different than most people. I remember asking people why they did something, or felt some way, and they said they didn't know. And I found it baffling that someone would not know or care why they did something! Apparently not everyone thought about it all as much as I did.

I think I was definitely surprised when I began to realise that I really was quite different than most people. I remember asking people why they did something, or felt some way, and they said they didn't know. And I found it baffling that someone would not know or care why they did something! Apparently not everyone thought about it all as much as I did.

YES!!! That became really annoying when I realised that because I had no one I could really talk to it about.

I fully agree haha! "And I found it baffling that someone would not know or care why they did something!" HAHA SO DITTO and sometimes I even asked why the didn't care xD

Honestly, I don't think we're the most "self-aware" type. INFPs take that title. Fi does help. We don't have Fi.

I know a lot about myself only because I treat myself like a patient. I try to "diagnose" myself. Usually, when I'm sad, I don't know I'm sad or why I'm sad. I go through the motions of being sad--I learn to recognize what those "symptoms" for sadness are: eating junk food, irritability, over-reacting, etc. and then I try to correct/soothe my sadness. I write in a journal to better help me pinpoint what my emotions are. After reflecting on what I wrote I am able to go, "AHA! All of these things I'm writing about, it sounds like I'm depressed."

Now, not all emotions are like this. Sometimes I know what and how I'm feeling/doing right off the bat...like anger, for example.

Through these documentations in my head/journal about myself: the patient, I apply it to other people. I'm a lot better about x-raying other people with my Ni than I am about myself. Whereas, for INFPs it's the opposite. They know all about themselves and must document other people outside of themselves as the "patients." Reading others for me is much much easier.

Honestly, I don't think we're the most "self-aware" type. INFPs take that title. Fi does help. We don't have Fi.

I know a lot about myself only because I treat myself like a patient. I try to "diagnose" myself. Usually, when I'm sad, I don't know I'm sad or why I'm sad. I go through the motions of being sad--I learn to recognize what those "symptoms" for sadness are: eating junk food, irritability, over-reacting, etc. and then I try to correct/soothe my sadness. I write in a journal to better help me pinpoint what my emotions are. After reflecting on what I wrote I am able to go, "AHA! All of these things I'm writing about, it sounds like I'm depressed."

Now, not all emotions are like this. Sometimes I know what and how I'm feeling/doing right off the bat...like anger, for example.

I honestly.. I don't have all the words right now. I can't explain how much this helps to clear certain things up. Thank you.

Through these documentations in my head/journal about myself: the patient, I apply it to other people. I'm a lot better about x-raying other people with my Ni than I am about myself. Whereas, for INFPs it's the opposite. They know all about themselves and must document other people outside of themselves as the "patients." Reading others for me is much much easier.

I agree with all of this. However, just because you are an INFJ doesn't mean you don't have Fi. Fi is my second highest function. (Ni > Fi > Ti > Fe > Ne > Te > Si > Se for me.)

YOu know, I've had a thought. A reassessment of the question so to speak

I think that in general INFj's know more about their type....than they do about themselves!

I don't know how related to type this is but I am INFP and I find it very important to understand why I do things. What motivates me in the things I choose and do. Also to realize if these motivations fit in with my higher thoughts, aspirations and ideals. That way when they don't - I can work at understanding why and making changes in how I perceive and think to change my ideals and improve on them and to more closely be them.

I find that anything I do, like even writing this post has a variety of mixed motivations to it. Our minds are just so incredibly complex and I dare say wonderful.

YOu know, I've had a thought. A reassessment of the question so to speak

I think that in general INFj's know more about their type....than they do about themselves!

I have to really agree with you there. so true.

Well, although you may be able to use some functions well, each type has four dominant functions that help to define that type.
For INFJs, our type functions are Ni>Fe>Ti>Se
For INFPs, it's Fi>Ne>Si>Te

So, as a generalization, INFPs are more comfortable with Fi because that's their dominant type function; it's the first function they develop.