INFJ's darker side and anger | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

INFJ's darker side and anger

Greetings all! Totally just registered to participate in this thread. :)

So - in broad strokes the OP totally resonates with my personal experience, but I have a slightly different way of internally parsing this sort of dire eventuality... For me personally, I have what can best be described as a 'Righteous Indignation Circuit'. It's almost always dormant, but can be triggered by someone hurting me personally in a very drastic way - or some external situation that violates one of my perceived core principles.

As I have gotten older, I can tell when the 'circuits' vacuum tubes are starting to flicker and warm up - and I take that cue to extract myself from the situation. Should my RIC fully come online, though, I turn exactly what the OP describes. Basically my Ti and Fe overload and become huge conduits for a calculated, unbridled emotional death ray, and the mental databanks that were cultivated by my Ni and Se to evolve a relationship turn into a tactical-fire-target-grid.

In my experience, its never worth it to let my RIC activate - no matter how validated it seems... I have found that I become so generally comfortable with trusting my Ni and the truth it usually shows me that I lose perspective that there is more to some situations than... well... the truth - and more to the point, being right - and imposing that 'right'.

Also, I always count it a failure to lose control over my faculties in this manner - and for all intents and purposes once my RIC flickers to life, I am pretty much just along for the ride.

Reactions: invisible
How did he become the enemy? Did he know he was becoming one?

He used me and didn't really want me, he was obsessed with a woman he met on Facebook from Romania.
He had me in real life and her in his fantasy world and thought he could have his cake and eat it.
He couldn't.
I put myself out for him and he took advantage, all along be didn't love me, just strung me along.
He thought he was in love with her, even tho they don't know each other in real life.
I was angry and felt betrayed by him so I made him choose.
He chose fantasy.

He used me and didn't really want me, he was obsessed with a woman he met on Facebook from Romania.
He had me in real life and her in his fantasy world and thought he could have his cake and eat it.
He couldn't.
I put myself out for him and he took advantage, all along be didn't love me, just strung me along.
He thought he was in love with her, even tho they don't know each other in real life.
I was angry and felt betrayed by him so I made him choose.
He chose fantasy.

Well he's gonna be on MTV's Catfish and he's gonna look like a f***ing idiot!

I saw this on a blog, thought i'd share it here. It's long but i thought it was worth it. Random thoughts welcome.

Shadow of INFJs: I'm queen bitch of the universe and you WILL listen to me.
-----

Yep. That self righteous bitchiness? That's what makes us ugly.

---

In the unlikely event you have betrayed an INFJ, cut deeply through their hearts then watch out - because nothing is more frightening than seeing one get their all. Afterall, Jesus was apparently an model INFJ. That's right. Beware the scorch. You get him angry and he'll go locust on your arse.

Of course, everything below is 'worst case under-developed' INFJ anger cases. It isn't what INFJ's do all the time. It is, extremely rare. Most have the patience of an iceberg waiting for hell to freeze over. Or a turn the other cheek style. But for those of you who want some insight into the darker, shadier side of an INFJ ...venture down below, i dare you.

---

INFJ Anger style: The incorruptible ninja on a vendetta:

It means facing your fears and exposing the grittiness of your own human existence. Sound familiar INFJ? Okay, it sounds like martyr-dom and yes, it is. An INFJ knows ALL about martyrdom.

In extremely threatening cases, an INFJ can go all angry ninja style on anybody's arse. And i mean emotionally. They will cut you up and hang you out to dry. Emotionally. That is the key word here.

First, the light: He we won't stop until he's wasted your emotional landscape, and neither will we. INFj's at their weakest or best can be like double edged swords, yes we can see deep into people's hearts, their motivations their good qualities, mirror their thoughts, actions and their desires to bring you relief or joy. INFJ's listen not only with their ears, but with their heart, they can process and nurture people's good qualities instinctively and mirror your what you want to hear. They are capable of forgiveness even of those with heinous crimes on their records, because yes - they know instinctively that everybody is human, all of us are interconnected and we all make mistakes, an INFJ has an uncanny ability to recognize that everybody is just a mirror of themselves. The best INFJ's carry a karmic awareness at all times.

With that knowledge they back it up like a hard drive. They remember. How they use that information, is up to them. That choice, is what makes them grow or go backwards.

God forbid anybody come across an INFJ, hell or highwater because once you cross them - at best they will drop you like a hot pan and dissappear regardless of how long you've known them. At worst, be prepared for having all your insecurities and fears gutted and exposed. And they make sure you remember. They can dive deep into your heart to inspire you, but like that double edged sword they can cut straight into your heart with their words. They tell you the truth exactly as it is, whilst you are still grappling with the fact they knew how you felt all along, they expose all your ugliest motivations to air and for all to see. INFJ's are adept at understanding the language of the human heart and what it wants and needs on an intangible level. They are expert emotional anthropologists. They understand boundaries and will not tell people how you feel, what is on your mind. This is because they know this information is precious, of course... until the shit hits the fan so to speak and then, they reveal everything about you. The ugly you. Every. Ugly. Detail.

They get under your skin and let loose slowly and methodically (yep, there's that organization in action) anything they know about your weaknesses, everything they use turns it a kind of melodramatic piece of theatre relaying everything from your sexual indiscretions, faults, lack of listening skills and weaving it expertly by making sure every one of your emotional weaknesses are exploited. They hone in on your fears at the present moment and creatively exploit them for full effect, targeting fears, anxieties, guilt and expertly play them like a symphony. They understand the darkness in themselves and they recognize it in you.

Hell hath no fury like an INFJ scorned. Subtle, slow and insidioius is the scorned style of an INFJ. They can get creative with their scorn - they might have the dignity and coldness of a queen while they exploit your weaknesses. They personally tailor each and every remark for full emotional effect. They may tell you calmly and caustically why you cheated them and explain your insecurities in front of a large group of intimate friends whilst you sweat, hiding their motives behind dry wit and humour. They will adjust their level of scorn for whatever is appropriate for your character. If it's a quick, derisive comment or a long confession of your insecurities - they will know which button to press to get to your heart. If it's guilt they want to summon, they know what to say to make you feel it, they'll remember an event or a whisper of an insecurity you have and they will bring it up. They remember the nuances in your dialogue, your emotional landscape - they remember your weaknesses and in an organized (judging) manner, categorically shoot each and every one of them down till they are satisfied you have sated their need for justice.

The scariness (or genius) of an INFJ however lies in the fact that they know how to adjust the temperature of their perceived hurt so that the other person feels the full effect of their remarks. Just as they can easily take the emotional temperature of a room just by walking into it, they know that getting completely angry is ineffective. So they manage their delivery intuitively, depending on your character so that the recipient has no room to retaliate - an INFJ instincitively knows if they expose a certain insecurity in you and say something softly, it is more effective than going completely a-wohl. They skirt over your anger and any issues they know will completely provoke you to not listening at all. They want to expose the truth, come hell or high water and if that means you feel reduced to something like a small child - totally exposed and a little humiliated, so be it. They will broach the topic carefully, and then caustically add something they know you will feel weakened by but will not be able to retaliate to because the topic for you is so personal. It is completely tactical. They want to expose you remember, so they think carefully about the delivery of a remark and it's intention before it comes out.

You know that secret you told them when you first met them with an open heart and open mind? They will remember it, bring it up and flippantly tell you they weren't really listening, and they didn't really care for it if that's what it takes to hurt you.

The purpose? The truth of course. The phrase, 'Shed light on your sorry ass', has never been more apt.

This is the darkness and shadow of an INFJ.

:m122:

Not sure why this made me think of this speech lol
[video]http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2013/04/28/president-obama-white-house-correspondents-dinner[/video]

You got a home address and some secrets you want to tell me before I give you my answer.... lol​

i read a piece of advice for INFJs somewhere on the internets that said "when you feel anger, walk away. act on your anger, and you lose." the more experience that i get in acting on my anger, the more i think that this is true. i think its foolish to believe that you can control your rage, when it comes to rage control is an illusion, because the nature of rage is that it makes the person experiencing it lose control. part of rage and anger is that it gives the illusion of control, kind of like a drug. it also gives the illusion of power, which goes hand in hand with a warped perception of being untouchable, or of being superior to the rage target. its also almost always ridiculously unconstructive. it takes a very mature person to act on rage constructively, and the description given in the OP is not an example of this kind of expression. we need to think twice about our rage and try to find other ways to react to our hurt, such as compassion and gratitude. if you think that sounds like hippie BS, i urge you to think again. im just beginning to truly discover and experience alternatives to anger and rage, and i wish i had been able to do it when i was younger.

I wish I had the calm of [MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION] to walk away every time.

At first I was reading what the OP said and said to myself, "That's not me! I'm calm and collected when I tell someone about themselves." and then I kept reading lol... I have a three strike rule and you're out though lately it's become more like two as by the third time I'm just really wasting both of our time. Though for the most part people who get on my nerves don't seem to know to the extent that they have done so, so when I get away from them around the second or third time they repeat something offensive or do two different things, both entirely offensive, they don't understand why I don't want to hang out with them anymore, and they keep pestering me as to why. That is when I tell them the truth. While what I have said has hurt them, I've noticed that they better themselves after all is said and done. I'm not in their life anymore, but when I see them there is a noticeable difference and their friends will tell me little things they've done to get their life back on track. For that I don't know if what I do to them is all that bad, though I'm sure it's not necessarily good either. I don't know... The way my friend puts it in a complying effort is, "The truth hurts" and yeah, that's true but at the same time it seems to light a fire under their ass so is it all that bad?

[MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION] Well at least you're working on it, that's all any of us can do. Well, all that we can do that's progressive.

I got some rage. I think it is good to have some. You can only be a punching bag for so long. I would not fight when I was younger because I was afraid that I would hurt the other person. I am afraid of my anger now so I try to keep it in check. But I still got some. People who have burned me get thrown out by the neck. I try to get away from people but some of them just won't listen when I tell them to leave me alone. When I walk away they tell me that I am walking away from my problems. I am walking away from kicking the shit out of you and maybe even potentially killing or hurting you by accident. I know my evil side is darker than anyone else can comprehend. Because my good side is more than they can comprehend. I will take your shit for years even decades. I will let you screw me over time and again. But when I am thru I am actually thru. There is no going back.

I have had to kick a lot of people out of my life. They did not realize that I needed them to go. That it was time. Sometimes the band has to split up so the members can grow from it. I am realizing that it is better to feel your anger and purge it than to let it fester. Cause when it festers it blows up real bad. It's all about how you think of the situation. Sometimes you really do need to walk away. Give yourself time to really think. I have been trying to let it all go and not allow myself to get angry. Works sometimes and other times it does not. Knowing that you do it makes you aware and gives you focus. And that helps a lot.

I agree about plotting things out. I have plotted me some revenge. Sometimes I did it. Sometimes I did not. Depends on the person and situation. Anger in it's self is judgement your judgement of a situation. I have a saying it's mind over matter if you don't mind it don't matter. Anger is a force. Just as felling good is one. They counter one another. I heard a person say that a happy person does nothing but an angry one does everything. The anger drives them to do good a lot of the time. God never said to never get angry. He said do not kill.

Anger has consequences. We all need to remember that. We are not an endless well for people to draw off of. We go empty. It's why we need to watch the tank and go refill it when we feel the need. Word to the wise though the better things look the more dangerous they are. Give respect and you will receive it in kind. Disrespect and expect it to get reflected back to you. The mirror works both ways. You do not always have to be nice. Sometimes a little anger is just what is needed.....

Reactions: muir
I dunno I always see the INFJs being the type to guilt you to death...by playing the martyr and such--more an internally focused destruction. See how bad things are because of you and the things you did to me...see me drowning?.....see....blurbble.....blurbble...blurbble.

This comment made me snort in recognition...my ENTP b/f has accused me of being a martyr during some of our more dramatic-up-in-flames fights. I will say though that INFJs don't particularly want to pose as a martyr, at least I speak for myself here, I think we sort of paint ourselves into that corner with our efforts to put a serious hurt on you. It's strangely double-edged. I think we want to show how low or taken advantage of you've made us be/feel, and now this is why we are going to drag up every single detail of yours that we vehemently object to.

Also, this is very true...the true essence of an enraged INFJ: They want to expose the truth, come hell or high water and if that means you feel reduced to something like a small child - totally exposed and a little humiliated, so be it.

I have been told by some people that i have a rage problem. I don't think I do. I think that I do resort to 'blowing up' because sometimes i let things fester and don't address them properly. And then the accumulated anger seems like its bigger. I've worked on this with my b/f, and I try to give him a 'red flag alert' verbally stating that something is bothering me and btw this might turn into a blow up situation if we don't address this right now... I think he realizes that i need to vent as soon as something wrong is apparent, and that way it doesn't create a dramatic feud that lasts two or three days...

At work, there was a woman who is basically bipolar and emotionally unstable and sado-masochistic and treats people like crap because she thinks she can or she deserves to just because she hates her job or is older or had a bad childhood...I sense this insanity as an INFJ, and I understand the irrationality of it...it took one episode of her barking something at me, at which I just snapped, and snapped back at her... something I never do... but I just had it with her nonsense and purposely bully like behavior So I decided to make her KNOW that she offended me DEEPLY, and I iced her out. I started being so cold to her, not reacting to her emotional plays or remarks or invitations to conversation... My co-worker/friend noticed, and told me, yes, it's working, I can really tell you disapprove of her, and it looks like she can feel it too. That made me somewhat satisfied. I didn't want to ice her out, but she had given me no choice. There is a point of no return with INFJs...once you cross that point, there ain't no coming back. INFJs can be lulled into denial about how much they don't like you, being polite and civil just because it's the 'right thing to do'...and then they suddenly snap out of it, grow a spine, and you don't exist to them anymore. If I really wanted to hurt her, I would gut her emotionally. But that's not worth the time or energy. It takes a lot of energy to gut someone emotionally...so when that happens, its cause something really made the INFJ mad/upset/wronged, or a great injustice was done.

Interesting. Im not sure I am an INFJ anymore. Likely not, glad I found this forum though. I suspect Ill be here much like I listen to a song over and over until I have satiated myself of it and then once done rarely listen to it again. Its interesting though because I dont really feel like I get that close to anyone anymore but after reading this I do feel as if I could pick the hearts of most people I know in the physical world apart should they ever irritate me enough. It would take a whole hell of a lot to do that though. I just dont feel like I care about anything enough any more to think I would care to take the time to take someone apart mentally though.

Lots of words, practically a book. Looks like you have thought about it a while.

This is very accurate for me. I am not one to bark.. If you make me mad I will go straight to bite mode. If you make me really mad, I will continue to gnaw on your leg until I feel as if I have sliced up your soul enough. It's best to back down and not appear tough when arguing with me. I am very very stubborn and if you don't drop it and agree to disagree or admit I'm right (I will accept either form with no complaints) I will go straight for your soul with no remorse. I will continue cutting deeper and deeper until someone crys "UNCLE" which isn't usually me.

This sounds awful reading it. But in my little crazy INFJ mind it is normal. Don't look for a heartfelt apology because 9 times out of 10 you wont get one. In my mind everything that I stated is the truth and an apology isn't needed. In my mind if I can sense it and see it then it is real and no lie. I am only stating the truth. Not my fault I can read others like a book.

Wow. I am going to hell. That is so awful of me. But yet... so true :D

LOL this is very true...very stubborn, even to our own detriment...and very determined to expose the truth, for which there is no apology...it just *is*. The most frustrating part of a battle, is when your opponent avoids or refuses to acknowledge the cold hard truth you're servin' up to them. That's when INFJs lose it and go nuclear.

Having said that, I do know when it is appropriate to apologize, and I am happy to say I've mended some disagreements with a simple 'I'm sorry'. INFJs are not incapable of apologizing, especially when we know it will mend the situation nicely, and get us back to the usual. We may not *mean* it 100%, there is usually some fine print, lol, but we do valiantly offer the apology, for the sake of diplomacy and preserving relations that we do value.

I just freeze you out. I ice the room over as I walk past, pretending you do not even exist. No energy shall I waste on your cries for negative attention. Shunned! You are all shunned. Humph!

It's really the best way to hurt someone. To take your love away.

Exactly.

Reactions: grt$5vb
This comment made me snort in recognition...my ENTP b/f has accused me of being a martyr during some of our more dramatic-up-in-flames fights. I will say though that INFJs don't particularly want to pose as a martyr, at least I speak for myself here, I think we sort of paint ourselves into that corner with our efforts to put a serious hurt on you. It's strangely double-edged. I think we want to show how low or taken advantage of you've made us be/feel, and now this is why we are going to drag up every single detail of yours that we vehemently object to.

oh fucking yes.
it's a sort of emotional/verbal pyrrhic victory. We let ourselves be drained, used, and hurt-- until that very point where the spot is far enough, and then we blow up, destroying ourselves, what's left of the landscape, and them.

May I admit that it's so sadly and emptily satisfactory? Like looking at a clean, clean slate-- only with damages and pain and heartbreak trailing behind.

oh fucking yes.
it's a sort of emotional/verbal pyrrhic victory. We let ourselves be drained, used, and hurt-- until that very point where the spot is far enough, and then we blow up, destroying ourselves, what's left of the landscape, and them.

May I admit that it's so sadly and emptily satisfactory? Like looking at a clean, clean slate-- only with damages and pain and heartbreak trailing behind.

The problem is that people do not want to come to grips with the fact that they are part of the problem. If your involved your part of it. Or even if you are in involved. We may expose them and we are exposing ourselves. We are showing that Mr Nice Guy can also be Mr Meanie. We have principles. And we do things according to them.

I'm not judging anybody's anger here. I don't judge. But I have been viewed by people as 'weak' because I don't really get angry, and reading about how common anger is in INFJs makes me feel like I don't fit in even with my little group of 'misfits' (just saying...). So, the article below made me feel better, because I don't feel weak. I feel that I am accepting of 'what is' as opposed to fighting it. I can see when it is wrong and I will verbalize it to the people that need to hear it (in most cases) but I accept it, just the way it is. Not getting angry is about me, not about anybody else and not a reflection of wether they deserve it or not (otherwise I would be probably at a nuclear meltdown level of anger).

The Paradox of Anger: Strength or Weakness?

The appearance of anger and its deeper reality are worlds apart.

Published on June 29, 2011 by Leon F. Seltzer, Ph.D. in Evolution of the Self

When you get mad,* ‬your throat is roused and your voice gets louder.* ‬Inside, you feel a certain indescribable strength.* L‬iterally (or,* ‬I should say,* ‬biochemically), the emotion does in fact* "‬empower*" ‬you.* ‬For when some opposing force feels threatening--whether it's a contentious spouse or an unnervingly long red light--and, additionally, you feel comfortable confronting this perceived danger--your body automatically secretes adrenaline. This is, after all, the hormone that unquestioningly follows the mind's directive and, reacting to the most primitive of dictates, prepares you to do battle.

But such chemically manufactured strength is mostly illusory.* ‬What needs to be kept in mind is that anger exists primarily to help ward off threats to whatever you unconsciously link to your welfare. And the very fact that something outside yourself feels endangering doesn't suggest inner strength at all. Rather, it hints at an underlying vulnerability--or lack of conviction about your resources to maintain mental and emotional equilibrium in the face of perceived adversity.* In most cases, the outward provocation isn't related to iminent physical harm. It's simply tied to your ego's feeling under attack. And having this subjective experience of being aggressed against typically suggests a fragile ego far more than it does a strong, resilient one. Conversely, the stronger and more secure your sense of self, the less likely you are to react to a person or situation as menacing.

So,* ‬for example,* ‬if you get angry with someone for criticizing you,* ‬you do so because you feel compelled to invalidate the "authority" of their negative appraisal.* Or, to put it a little differently, ‬what got you angry in the first place is that, however unconsciously, you* couldn't help conceding to them‬ the authority to judge you. Then--self-protectively--you needed to nullify this authority by criticizing* ‬them in turn (and anger almost always employs the language of criticism).*

*In such cases, getting mad can be seen as at once a result of being made to feel weak or powerless and an immediate "antidote" for such an unpleasant reaction. In fact, anger really can't be fully understood without also understanding the emotions lying just beneath it. And, at bottom, these emotions regularly involve some sort of felt vulnerability--which your anger may momentarily cover up but can't really eradicate either. By the same token, your "display" of strength through anger actually suggests you lack the strength (or fortitude) to stay open, vulnerable, and responsive to provocative situations because, deep down, you've yet to develop sufficient confidence or self-acceptance.

*In the absence of such inner security, it may be that anger is how you learned to comfort yourself when, emotionally, things started to feel precarious. When you're feeling frustrated, fearful, or helpless, using anger--paradoxically--to soothe yourself can be pretty much irresistible. And if you're particularly susceptible to getting irked or incited by outward circumstances, such a knee jerk reaction may come to feel absolutely essential.

Still, anger hardly deserves to be seen as a strength. Without the boldness (or backbone) to let your vulnerability be known, you're driven to utilize anger to prevent others from discovering the "soft underbelly" hiding just beneath your bluster. In a strange sense, anger is the ultimate bluff. And countless people, self-doubting at their very core, routinely "administer" anger to bluff their way through life.
*Think of it. Telling someone, for example, that their reservations about your position make you question it yourself would be to openly admit to them your insecurity. Compare this to lambasting that person for their contrary viewpoint--and so never having to deal with gnawing doubts you may harbor about your own.

*V‬irtually all angry sentiments reflect the viewpoint that what someone else said or did was wrong,* ‬unjust, or* in some way abusive‬. O*f all the emotions, ‬anger is undoubtedly the most judgmental. It's also the most moralistic, self-righteous, and repudiating. So, however aware you may be of it, resorting to anger enables you to comfortably disconfirm the validity, or legitimacy, of another's perspective.*

But, more than anything else,* ‬anger is a defense. It's expressly designed to safeguard you from distressful emotions, such as feeling anxious,* weak,‬ inferior, guilty, rejected,* ‬or--alas--unlovable.* And it can immediately restore in you some semblance of power when (just a moment ago) you felt powerless.

*Yet--and this is what makes the whole subject so consummately ironic--anger rarely looks like a defense. Its outward appearance clearly projects a hostile, assaultive stance--hardly a meek, self-protective one. Such an aggressive bearing, however, is still a reaction to that which, inwardly, felt threatening. In such a psychologically convoluted scenario it's helpful to remember the adage: "The best defense is a good offense." Which is why when some‬one suddenly becomes angry with you,* ‬it can feel so disconcerting, even perilous. Whether physically, mentally, or emotionally, their anger is experienced as an attack, as an imminent threat to your safety.* S‬o, to ward off such uneasiness,* ‬you might not be able to resist the temptation to retaliate--or* ‬counter-attack.

That laypeople routinely associate anger with strength (vs. weakness) is supported by research showing that people with angry facial expressions (i.e., people perceived as angry) are also assumed to be powerful, dominant, and having higher social status (for sources, see Wikipedia on Anger, fn. 31 & 32). All of which is to say that for most people it's not at all apparent that a roaring "outer lion" might just be hiding a fearfully quivering "inner kitten." Or--to invert a common metaphor--if you have chronic anger problems you might actually be a sheep in wolf's clothing. Nor would you be able to recognize such heavily veiled vulnerability if, over the years (or decades!), you've routinely repressed troublesome feelings of anxiety or insecurity through donning the convenient cloak of anger.

And not only can anger help you conceal feelings of fear, inadequacy, and self-doubt by turning them into external conflict. It can also keep at bay states of depression, and emotional pain generally. Embarrassment, humiliation, guilt, and shame--as well as feelings of refusal, dismissal, and abandonment--can all be buried (however temporarily) beneath the self-righteously moralistic (or "morally superior") camouflage of anger. However weak you may feel deep inside, you can fool almost anyone--including yourself--into believing you're strong if you can successfully obscure such vulnerability through the smoke screen of anger.

And, of course, given the spontaneous adrenaline production linked to getting mad, anger does in fact energize you. Additionally, it can assist you in overcoming fears about taking assertive action in situations that clearly violate your rights. It can also be viewed as an asset or strength when it's used tactically--to forcefully affirm your wants and needs in circumstances where otherwise you might not be heard, or even taken advantage of. Sometimes, maintaining a healthy self-respect may require nothing less than putting your foot down, through what I'd call controlled anger. On the other hand (and much less justifiably), anger can be a strategy employed to intimidate others, to aggressively bend them to your will. After all, most people would rather defer to an angry person than get engaged in stressful confrontation. Which is only natural since, on an instinctual level, another's anger scares us. In our gut it feels as though that person is altogether ready and willing to harm us.

To sum up, though anger--paradoxically--is generally a reaction to feeling weak, powerless, and out of control, it does to a certain extent fortify us. But, overall, such fortressing is mainly artifice. For understood as chiefly a defense against inner feelings of frailty, anger doesn't begin to reflect anything like true strength or resiliency. Ultimately, personal power has a lot more to do with cultivating the ability to restrain our impulses, not simply forfeit to them.

So what personality characteristics represent actual strengths--versus the pseudo-strength of anger? While I don't wish to stray too far from the key focus of this piece, let me briefly mention some personal qualities that I regard as much healthier alternatives in the face of some immediately perceived threat--qualities that represent genuinely adaptive responses to a variety of frustrations, dangers, and disappointments that, daily, we're all subject to.

Being able to accept, moment to moment, whatever happens to you--without somehow feeling obliged to retaliate--is crucial. It's essential to learn how to emotionally distance yourself from outward provocations, regardless of whether they were actually intended to rile you. And the primary qualities that facilitate such healthy detachment include: patience, tolerance, forebearance, fortitude, acceptance, and forgiveness. These related aspects of a well-adjusted personality aren't simply virtues. They're strengths, signifying the kind of self-control requisite to discovering inner peace, tranquility, and a sense of well-being.

Impulsively losing your temper when things don't go your way is, frankly, all too easy. Any two-year-old can do it. It doesn't require the least self-control. Allowing people and situations to destroy your equanimity through angry acting out has nothing to do with personal power. Rather, it connotes emotional weakness and susceptibility--a kind of "characterological impotence." So though anger is almost always meant to protect feelings of vulnerability, it actually symbolizes--or betrays--this vulnerability. On the contrary, living a life in accordance with the opposing qualities I've listed above allows you to be (to adopt an oxymoron) "comfortably vulnerable."

Lastly--and perhaps most paradoxically--when you become angry you invariably feel like a victim, at the woeful effect of circumstances beyond your control. And such an experience is hardly consonant with conceptualizing anger as giving you back your strength. Certainly, it may restore your illusion of strength. But true strength is about rising above your situation, not taking it so personally that you react with some adult version of a temper tantrum. Patience, acceptance, forgiveness--and all the other qualities I enumerated as "anger antidotes"--demand self-discipline, and a willingness to accommodate yourself to the unalterable framework of human existence. You need to realize not only that some things can't be changed, but that--in order to live a life of contentment and joy--you really don't need them to change.

As has been said by many people in many different ways, happiness is a function of acceptance. Anger, on the other hand, is about resisting what is. As such, anger--or more precisely, habitual anger (or resentment)--isn't simply a weakness. It's a path leading to a lifetime of frustration, dissatisfaction, and misery. Given all that I've described here, it should be obvious that everything you can do to better control your tendencies toward anger will be richly rewarded.

I'd much rather drop people out of my life than hurt them to the core. That isn't my job. That's Life's Job. That's God's job. He will cut them to the core. And they'll remember all the people they hurt along the way...including me.

I can resonate with the OP very much. When I was younger and people used to make me annoyed I'd pick at them a little bit just to get back, or I'd make them hurt because they made me hurt. Luckily I grew up and learned that was creepy and manipulative as fuck, so now when people make me mad I just normally try to think of something else and just ignore them.