INFJ's As Soldiers. | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

INFJ's As Soldiers.

A large part of me doesn't like to admit this (and I think I can chalk being this way up to low Fi), I think if I were to boost myself physically for a while beforehand, I could do the military. I do NOT do well with being yelled at or scolded in any way. The thing is though, I internalize it. I don't flinch, I don't respond, I simply swallow it all. I used to say that I would collapse on the ground; that is untrue. I wouldn't I just feel like I would but I can't do it. The only issue I could forsee is I might cause too much internal damage and I would lose the abillity to be emotional at all. The thing is though, I do extremely well in organized, sceduled, class set systems. I internally do backflips at times, but I respond to orders quite well.

That's what would probably get me, all the stress and regulations put upon me will probably get to me, I would constantly collapse, feel depressed, do worst and worst and will find myself useless. I really do take things very personally and they hurt me like a stab in the heart. I am quick to get down, and I do not handle stress well at all.

On the whole "INFPs in the Military" subject, I seem to recall there being a couple of users on the old globalchatter forum who had been in the military and thought it was one of the best experiences of their lives. So there are those amongst us who can handle that lifestyle, perhaps just not many of us. :tongue:

I agree with what was said that being in the millitary would be toxic for an INFP.
My brother had a friend who joined the marines and was discharged for repeatedly laughing (nervously) into the face of his drill sargeant as he was being screamed at.

I can't imagine I'd do much different, either.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wijlLEriWYg"]YouTube- Motivational Speech - Full Metal Jacket[/ame]

Oh bah.

What rubbish.

INFJ's are nice thoughtful people.

Typical soldiers are obedient, thoughtless killers.

I see no connection.

So true.

I agree with what was said that being in the millitary would be toxic for an INFP.
My brother had a friend who joined the marines and was discharged for repeatedly laughing (nervously) into the face of his drill sargeant as he was being screamed at.

I can't imagine I'd do much different, either.

Haha. Sometimes I would want to laugh but I would have to control myself and hold it in because I wanted to succeed. I almost always laughed when someone else was getting yelled at but that emotion changed to a bad feeling of "here we go again, mass punishment is coming up".

I guess if you cant control your emotions you are not going to make it no matter what type you are.

Honestly, I'm terrified by the idea of service. I really don't think I could take the pressure of serving in the Army, Air Force, or Marines. I might consider the Navy, but I'm honestly not a fan of warfare. I think peace is better.

I've been following this thread as ya'll have continued to expand upon it. I've been trying to prepare myself mentally to go through boot camp. The discomfort and the tearing down doesn't bother me at this point, I've grown comfortable to so many shitty places in the past decade, Ft. Benning included. I am worried about the yelling, that is really what I've been trying to prepare myself for..taking orders and having a defined hierarchy is something I am very comfortable with, I just really don't want to bust out laughing and as the Hamburgler stated bring on the mass punishment. I'm confident enough with my tenacity that I wouldn't let myself down, but as always I worry about letting others down...hoping this will help me push even harder.

Anyways I really appreciate all the thoughts and reflections in this thread.

I know that's a comedy but I wonder if that's sort of the stuff they say in real life.
Did they try to insult you like that, Rogo? Or anyone else who has been in the military?
So you had motivation to succeed as a reason to control yourself. Personally, I don't have that and I'm guessing it wasn't too strong in my brother's friend..
No doubt. I would not be able to control my emotions (hysterical laughter) in that situation.. and neither could my brother's INFJ friend..

I've been following this thread as ya'll have continued to expand upon it. I've been trying to prepare myself mentally to go through boot camp. The discomfort and the tearing down doesn't bother me at this point, I've grown comfortable to so many shitty places in the past decade, Ft. Benning included. I am worried about the yelling, that is really what I've been trying to prepare myself for..taking orders and having a defined hierarchy is something I am very comfortable with, I just really don't want to bust out laughing and as the Hamburgler stated bring on the mass punishment. I'm confident enough with my tenacity that I wouldn't let myself down, but as always I worry about letting others down...hoping this will help me push even harder.

Anyways I really appreciate all the thoughts and reflections in this thread.

Many of times I smirked through boot camp....

A smirk got me put in the a 15 minute push-up position with my dog tags barely touching the floor. I was taunted the entire time, but I was inside my head focused on not falling...

I remember people breaking down and crying and stuff and I couldn't understand it...it was a head-game.

But if you're used to shitty places, you should be fine. I came from the ghetto-est of conditions right into boot camp and it was like heaven to me. Fed, paychecks are saved because you can't spend, physical fitness (I was really proud of that after the fact), broke my nicotine addiction, some comradarie....

Really, boot camp was easier than the rest of my time in.

I could never see myself being in the military in any capacity. Something about the idea just makes me... uncomfortable.

I think that PVT "Pile" in this movie is an example of an INFJ who couldnt make it.

Honestly, I'm terrified by the idea of service. I really don't think I could take the pressure of serving in the Army, Air Force, or Marines. I might consider the Navy, but I'm honestly not a fan of warfare. I think peace is better.

I dont think anyone really thinks that war is better than peace or if they do it is a small minority.

I don't know if this is true for many or even some INFJs but I have noticed that I cannot be comfy and happy at the same time.

Stoic living and unrelenting discipline (although thouroughly displeasing to me) help keep me from depression/anguish about life or myself. It is as though I was built not to have an easy life. :(
i agree 100% i struggle with that and i could not have said it better