INFJ's And Polyamory *multiamory* | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ's And Polyamory *multiamory*

I think it is because when you engage in something that is frowned upon by general society you feel a need to overvalidate whatever it is?

I try to stay away from making definative statements. So in general, I would not feel comfortable engaging in such a lifestyle. I think fidelity is something to be valued. I could not be serious about someone who I was unable to be intimate with and I wouldn't have trust in a man who was screwing around with other people. Either way you lose; if it doesn't mean something to him or if it does...
Indeed. That was my thought as well.

As for polyamory, I really don't care. If it works out for those involved great.
Personally, I just don't have the energy to invest myself mentally, emotionally, and physically in more than one person romantically.

Personally, I just don't have the energy to invest myself mentally, emotionally, and physically in more than one person romantically.

This goes for me too. Although I find polyamory very fascinating, I would not become a part of such a relationship. I might even be fine with my partner being a part of one if we reached such an agreement, but I probably wouldn't/couldn't.

Other than that, I don't tend to jealousy a lot, but I have felt emotionally possessive before, even if I kept it to myself, and I would be worried about losing the privilege to my partner's time and affection. In other words, being neglected.

I wouldn't be able to do it because I find myself unable to control myself choosing favourites. My mind is constantly ranking people, things, etc. It just wouldn't be fair for me to contribute more to one partner than another.

Monogamy, as boring as it may seem, is the only way that works for me really.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Monogamy isn't boring.. people are boring.
You get what you put into it. If you're a boring person you'll be bored no matter what you do.

Reactions: Siamese cat
Monogamy isn't boring.. people are boring.
You get what you put into it. If you're a boring person you'll be bored no matter what you do.

I was meaning it might be boring to other people.
It's not boring for me. It's the only way that works for me. It's working for me really well right now actually.

I think about this a lot. It's odd because humans aren't monogamous and yet we have emotions that are so contradictory to anything other than monogamy. We want to bed people other than our partner but feel jealous when they do the same. It makes me wonder which aspect is born from nature and which is born from nurture.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I think about this a lot. It's odd because humans aren't monogamous and yet we have emotions that are so contradictory to anything other than monogamy. We want to bed people other than our partner but feel jealous when they do the same. It makes me wonder which aspect is born from nature and which is born from nurture.

Who says humans arent monogamous? I would say a small number of humans arent. Most of us are however.

Interesting that you present polyamory in such a transcendant light, but color monogamy as a lifestyle for the neurotic and jealous.

Well he is kind of way out of the mainstream, I wouldn't think he speaks for anyone other then himself.

Interesting that you present polyamory in such a transcendant light, but color monogamy as a lifestyle for the neurotic and jealous.

What I said specifically is that INFJ's have some neurotic tendencies and the need to connect deeply with their partners. Yes, I include myself in this. I am neurotic. It's a fact about the INFJ psychology that if we are under stress, we tend towards neurosis. Polyamory is not transcendant nor magical. It is merely different. There are some traits within the poly community that are very different. Monogamy is not any better than polyamory or worse.

Billy, prove to me that people are monogamous. Name ONE culture on earth where monogamy is a norm rather than an artificially imposed stricture which is regularly broken. We aren't prairie voles. Human beings are a massively diverse species with pair-bonding being, if anything, a minority of actual bonding types in civilizations across the globe and throughout our history.

I'm not asking you to name a culture where people say 'You must be monogamous or you're scum'. Heck, you can point to American culture. Name one culture where monogamy is the actual operational mechanism by which relationships function. I've looked. If there is one throughout history in which monogamy has been then norm rather than the public face backed up by lies and deceit or a carefully constructed system to avoid actual monogamy then I haven't found it.

People are not monogamous by nature or for that matter, polyamorous. People are a collective of urges and impulses and sometimes those are directed at individuals and sometimes at groups.

exceptions make the rule the majority of people cannot handle having multiple romantic relationships and have it be stable. Jealousy as you say is foreign to you is not to the rest of the world. We're closer to monogamy than polamory in that generally that monogamy is broken by a second partner and that generally ends with loss of one relationship or both. I feel serial monogamy is a better suited term for how humans work, we just get impatient towards the end of one run and start the other early...

References?

There's been evidence of monogamy in humans going back thousands of years (side by side burials, DNA samples), it's certainly not something that's been conditioned in us by society. Tribal peoples are even monogamous. If we were naturally inclined to polygamy we'd be polygamous.

There are plenty of societies where polygamy is a norm. Polygamy is something else mind you. My point being (and this seems to have been lost in the rush to defend monogamy which wasn't actually under attack) is that people are diverse and the realities of the way people conduct themselves in relationships tend them less towards pair bonding (which is lifelong mating) and more towards a progression of relationships.

Serial monogamy is a pretty accurate way of putting things actually. Still, serial monogamy is not a rule any more than polyamory or polygamy (which are distinct and different from one another as well). How many different relationship structures can you think of off the top of your head? I can probably list thirty straight away involving different combinations of persons that I've seen work out pretty well for some period of time.

I'm not polyamorous or polygamist, However I think I can relate to your point about jealousy. I have recently entered into a monogamous relationship with an exotic dancer, as it turns out she has struggled a lot with relationships in the past due to this whole jealousy thing so many people seem to go through. She constantly tells me about how her past boyfriends would get jealous and want her to quit her job, it's a struggle sometimes to convince her it doesn't bother me at all, but I think society has almost conditioned jealousy as an expectation.

As for polyamory, I don't think I could do it because balancing more than one relationship I would find to be emotionally exhausting.

Well this is getting heated up~ Lots of passive aggressiveness if you ask me :m083:

Aaanyways~ I mean I recall there was this story one time... about a tourist visiting a certain tribe in Nepal... He was going through the village and suddenly this man comes up to him asking "Do you want to sleep with my wife? She finds you very attractive". I don't recall exactly what tribe it was that had such "marital freedom" but it was nonetheless very interesting. Maybe it was the Nyinba tribe or something... not exactly sure.

THAT'S SO INTERESTING! if you ask me

What I said specifically is that INFJ's have some neurotic tendencies and the need to connect deeply with their partners. Yes, I include myself in this. I am neurotic. It's a fact about the INFJ psychology that if we are under stress, we tend towards neurosis. Polyamory is not transcendant nor magical. It is merely different. There are some traits within the poly community that are very different. Monogamy is not any better than polyamory or worse.

Billy, prove to me that people are monogamous. Name ONE culture on earth where monogamy is a norm rather than an artificially imposed stricture which is regularly broken. We aren't prairie voles. Human beings are a massively diverse species with pair-bonding being, if anything, a minority of actual bonding types in civilizations across the globe and throughout our history.

I'm not asking you to name a culture where people say 'You must be monogamous or you're scum'. Heck, you can point to American culture. Name one culture where monogamy is the actual operational mechanism by which relationships function. I've looked. If there is one throughout history in which monogamy has been then norm rather than the public face backed up by lies and deceit or a carefully constructed system to avoid actual monogamy then I haven't found it.

People are not monogamous by nature or for that matter, polyamorous. People are a collective of urges and impulses and sometimes those are directed at individuals and sometimes at groups.

Ummm, I dunno what history you read, but the one I read shows thats people by and large have always been monogamous. Just because its "regularly broken" doesn't make it something else. Relationships even at their best are a challenge regardless of the amount of people involved. People don't break up because they want multiple partners, they break up because the relationship isn't working for any number of reasons, typically that reason has to do with compatibility.

You can pretend that we are non-monogomous, but for the largest part of human history its been a staple of the human family, even if the family eventually breaks up due to unforeseen circumstances. Furthermore I take offense to the notion that humans are such slaves to our impulses that we must act like our bestial nature insists, if thats the case, then humans are also evil, rapists, murderers, thieves by nature too and we should stop putting ridiculous restrictions on ourselves with rigid peace-making, after all, its in our nature to kill our neighbors and take his resources.

Orrrrr...

We are refining as a species and a civilizations and we are slowly but surely weeding out our animal instincts in favor of a more divine nature. An ideal nature. Which unfortunately for you, means monogamy.

There's been evidence of monogamy in humans going back thousands of years (side by side burials, DNA samples), it's certainly not something that's been conditioned in us by society. Tribal peoples are even monogamous. If we were naturally inclined to polygamy we'd be polygamous.

Bingo, if we were non-monogomous, then our early civilizations would have been as such, apparently that wasnt conducive to human survival, so we adapted monogamy instead. Why he is comparing us to "other species" I have no idea... when was the last time any other species invented language, art, or culture and directly influenced its own evolution?

I agree. Some of us just don't find poly appealing. I full support a truly consensual poly relationship or monogamous relationship. It just won't work for me. I'm not wired that way.

I have to agree this is such a weird topic. There is no this is how we should be but what we think we want or need.

Bingo, if we were non-monogomous, then our early civilizations would have been as such, apparently that wasnt conducive to human survival, so we adapted monogamy instead. Why he is comparing us to "other species" I have no idea... when was the last time any other species invented language, art, or culture and directly influenced its own evolution?

It's more efficient in a patriarchal society that keeps private property, seeing as how supporting another man's children can be costly. Most cultures are not strictly monogamous... usually, it's ok for the male to sleep around but not the female. It's a one sided monogamy. Look at all the cultures that have practiced concubinacy.