INFJ writers | INFJ Forum

INFJ writers

Shaz

Community Member
Jul 30, 2008
MBTI
iNfj
I don't know whether there has been a topic on the subject, but I couldn't find one, so...

We know INFJs are often drawn to writing. Who do you think would be an INFJ among writers you know?

* I'm pretty sure Anais Nin would be one. It's pretty obvious from her diaries. Do you agree? edit : actually, reading the unexpurgated diaries, I'm not sure, she seems more like an INFP now

* Herman Hesse? He seems very sensitive to nature, always wanted to live somewhere calm away from the city. His books are very abstract. He did write Siddhartha... Not certain about the J but I think it's fairly likely.

* Is Paul Coelho famous in America? I've only read the Alchemist, and it was at least five years ago, but I wonder. Not sure at all with him though.

* Khalil Gibran? The Prophet looks like an INFJ book to me. Extremely spiritual, poetic, meaningful etc.

I am sure the list could go on.

Last edited:
i believe William Faulkner was INFJ, but i'm not too sure...

It would seem to me that the Sci-Fi and Fantasy genres would bthe best outlets for INFJ authors.

paulo coelho definetly seems to be an infj (one of my fave authors btw) love his books.

Yeah, I'm reading it now and the first thought that emerged when I read the introduction was: That is so me:D

James Herriot "All Creatures Great and Small"

INFJ for sure! I've never laughed out loud to the point of crying while reading a book before until him.

Nathaniel Hawthorne (The Scarlet Letter). The introduction is completely INFJ.

Definitely Hawthorne. His use of symbols, and his appeal to the true nature of people; they just strike me as very similar to my own views, sometimes.

Is it just me, or do quite a few of his characters also have INFJ tendencies? In Scarlet Letter, I'm pretty sure Dimmsdale was one, and Hester could definitely be one too....
I don't know, I almost get this feeling like his characters are almost different levels of INFJ qualities reacting to different situations....

I think I'm the only one here who absolutely HATED that book.

Dimmsdale got on my nerves. He was a whining pathetic lump of flesh for the duration of the book. He was completely useless. If he's an INFJ, he's an embarrassment to our type. Hester seems INFJish to me. But no, please, don't suggest Dimmsdale. I highly doubt he is. INFP maybe, but not INFJ.

I don't really like Hawthorne's writing style. But I won't object to him being a INFJ. He seems like one to me.

Well, I think Dimmsdale is probably INFx, but I'd say INFJ; he'd be an unhealthy one, though (he's basically unhealthy all around, so that's to be expected)

just tossing out two names ... Not sure AT ALL. Just interessted to see what you say about them:

Dan Brown
David Eddings

INFJ or not. They are awsome :m153:

just tossing out two names ... Not sure AT ALL. Just interessted to see what you say about them:

Dan Brown
David Eddings

INFJ or not. They are awsome :m153:

I've always thought Dan Brown may be an INT_, at least based on his writing. Granted I only read Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code. But I'm also not sure how accurate I tend to be when typing people, especially when I know little about them.

I've had a debate within myself, about who creates the deeper, more entertaining stories: INFJ or INFP. I think the INFP is more creative and can come up with the most out of the box stories, but the INFJ writer usually has a message or theme running throughout his or her work. INFP writers can also sucker punch me - they aren't afraid to rip my heart out. I find INFJ writers to be more pleasant. They usually create soothing endings, or they have cliffhangers to take you to the next book. It's the difference between me sitting back in my chair with a "yes, that's good" on my lips versus, "oh, God, I'm worn out."

But I dunno, it's hard to say. I like many writers, but I'm usually drawn to INxx works most of all. I love reading passionate works from passionate writers.

Perhaps Dostoevsky?

I'm not sure but I'd say that he was perhaps INFJ..... Anyone else think so?

Emily Dickinson of course

How about Antoine de Saint-Exupéry? I find the chapter in Little Prince about the little prince, the fox and little prince's rose particularly telling. It's probably a good description of how friendship formation works in the INFJ world. I know it's not the INTJ way.

Marcel Proust?

How about Antoine de Saint-Exupéry? I find the chapter in Little Prince about the little prince, the fox and little prince's rose particularly telling. It's probably a good description of how friendship formation works in the INFJ world. I know it's not the INTJ way.

Marcel Proust?

I would think the Little Prince is a INFP-esque book. The character of the Little Prince is definitely a INFP. When I read that book (in French) I actually cried, it was so sad.

I would think the Little Prince is a INFP-esque book. The character of the Little Prince is definitely a INFP. When I read that book (in French) I actually cried, it was so sad.

It could be. I don't know. In any case, it's an INF book. A true masterpiece.

Last edited: