INFJ or INFP? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ or INFP?

I agree with tovlo, though I have no idea why either. The way you communicate seems very Infp to me.

Thirded. Actually, to be honest with you, I was thinking "INFP" months ago, when you first discussed your SO way back when. No concrete reason why, just the same as Taz and tovlo indicated: Your discussion style seems INFP-ish.

Thirded. Actually, to be honest with you, I was thinking "INFP" months ago, when you first discussed your SO way back when. No concrete reason why, just the same as Taz and tovlo indicated: Your discussion style seems INFP-ish.

Yep.

Hmm, what's ironic though is I'm very strong on Fe. Is there a test for the functions? I know there used to be one, but I don't believe it works anymore.

Lets get down to the nitty gritty... the functions... Fi is very reflective, etc, which I actually just started doing the past 2 years... starting "soul reflecting" I call it. But for the most part, most of my life I was idenfied with Fe and what others wanted at the expense of my own happiness (now, exhausting), nevertheless that was for many years reality for me. I have now learned to balance the needs of others (and the need to please) with my own... it makes for a much healthy person :)

I'm not sure though... I am definitely a tide wad compared to my "knowledge" of INFP's... I am very routine, structured, and "rigid" some would put it; that is, compared to my more "free-spirited" friends. Punctuality is crucial with me, and I detest late-ness. Hmm... but the hating imposed (keyword: imposed) structure is a big one... I think that's P-ish, although INFJ's can have a need to have control over their creative process also.

Hmm, what's it gonna be?

Hmm, what's ironic though is I'm very strong on Fe.

It is possible to have strongly-developed cognitive functions that are not the archetypal functions of a given type.

I type as INFP, yet my top two cognitive functions are Fi and...Fe.

Is there a test for the functions? I know there used to be one, but I don't believe it works anymore.

Cognitive Functions Test

Lets get down to the nitty gritty... the functions... Fi is very reflective, etc, which I actually just started doing the past 2 years... starting "soul reflecting" I call it.

Fi is a judging function - it chooses this or that based on an internally-referenced hierarchy of values derived from a people-focused perspective.

But for the most part, most of my life I was idenfied with Fe and what others wanted at the expense of my own happiness (now, exhausting), nevertheless that was for many years reality for me. I have now learned to balance the needs of others (and the need to please) with my own... it makes for a much healthy person :)

Doing what others want at the expense of one's own happiness is a choice one can make, but it is not necessarily the expression of Fe.

Fe is also a judging function - it chooses this or that based on externally-referenced examples of values derived from a people-focused perspective.

I'm not sure though... I am definitely a tide wad compared to my "knowledge" of INFP's... I am very routine, structured, and "rigid" some would put it; that is, compared to my more "free-spirited" friends. Punctuality is crucial with me, and I detest late-ness.

INFPs can be routine and structured - especially those who express strongly as Type 9s on the Enneagram. They are not exclusively spontaneous and late.

The above statement does seem a strong values statement as it concerns punctuality and lateness - moreso than it seems a statement about punctuality and lateness themselves. Consider what this means as it concerns INFP versus INFJ and/or other types within MBTI.

Hmm... but the hating imposed (keyword: imposed) structure is a big one... I think that's P-ish, although INFJ's can have a need to have control over their creative process also.

The degree to which a person is comfortable with imposed structure is the degree to which they choose to accept it. If that structure helps to meet a need, it may be more valued than expression of one's autonomy for the period that structure exists.

Hmm, what's it gonna be?

Based on these posts, my sense is that you think you can easily discern between INFP and INFJ:

http://forum.infjs.com/showpost.php?p=90427&postcount=1396

http://forum.infjs.com/showpost.php?p=90432&postcount=1397

Based on the following pictures, I think and feel your likely type is INFP.

emjamiemollyandicopy2.jpg

img4023.jpg

I've studied a lot of images and video of INFPs and INFJs. Your presentation in those photos has characteristics that I would associate with the INFP type.

Perhaps you think your type is INFJ because you value the qualities of the INFJ type, or do not value, and therefore wish to disassociate from, the qualities of the INFP type.

My sense is that you may have made a Fi judgment that leads to your sense that your type is INFJ.

Namaste,
Ian

Last edited:
It is possible to have strongly-developed cognitive functions that are not the archetypal functions of a given type.

I type as INFP, yet my top two cognitive functions are Fi and...Fe.

Cognitive Functions Test

Fi is a judging function - it chooses this or that based on an internally-referenced hierarchy of values derived from a people-focused perspective.

Doing what others want at the expense of one's own happiness is a choice one can make, but it is not necessarily the expression of Fe.

Fe is also a judging function - it chooses this or that based on externally-referenced examples of values derived from a people-focused perspective.

INFPs can be routine and structured - especially those who express strongly as Type 9s on the Enneagram. They are not exclusively spontaneous and late.

The above statement does seem a strong values statement as it concerns punctuality and lateness - moreso than it seems a statement about punctuality and lateness themselves. Consider what this means as it concerns INFP versus INFJ and/or other types within MBTI.

The degree to which a person is comfortable with imposed structure is the degree to which they choose to accept it. If that structure helps to meet a need, it may be more valued than expression of one's autonomy for the period that structure exists.

Based on these posts, my sense is that you think you can easily discern between INFP and INFJ:

http://forum.infjs.com/showpost.php?p=90427&postcount=1396

http://forum.infjs.com/showpost.php?p=90432&postcount=1397

Based on the following pictures, I think and feel your likely type is INFP.

emjamiemollyandicopy2.jpg

img4023.jpg

I've studied a lot of images and video of INFPs and INFJs. Your presentation in those photos has characteristics that I would associate with the INFP type.

Perhaps you think your type is INFJ because you value the qualities of the INFJ type, or do not value, and therefore wish to disassociate from, the qualities of the INFP type.

My sense is that you may have made a Fi judgment that leads to your sense that your type is INFJ.

Namaste,
Ian

Ian,

Thank you kindly for your response. Wow, the test you sent me finally works again =) Anywho, here are my results:

extraverted Sensing (Se) **************************** (28)
average useintroverted Sensing (Si) ****************** (18.4)
limited useextraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.9)
good useintroverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************ (37)
excellent useextraverted Thinking (Te) ************************ (24.5)
average useintroverted Thinking (Ti) ************************ (24.9)
average useextraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************* (33.9)
good useintroverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************* (43)
excellent use

I also have my results (I'm a dork) from the last few times I took it, dating back to a couple of years ago lol... it's interesting comparing them. If you want them, let me know; if not, it's okay too :)

Oh, and on this test: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp I always test INFJ. Here are my results:

[SIZE=+1]Your Type is
[SIZE=+2] INFJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]IntrovertedIntuitiveFeelingJudging [SIZE=+0]Strength of the preferences %[/SIZE] 561005022
You are:
  • moderately expressed introvert
  • very expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • slightly expressed judging personality

Last edited:
Hmm... interesting.

Well, I will say one thing, I know for a fact that my worst functions are Ti, Te, and Si. So thinking and sensing are the worst. I can see why the S would be bad, as I am absolutely AWFUL with attention to detail, and I HATE dealing with detail... the only time I don't mind it is when it's something, say a project of mine... a personal project, and I want it to be successful. I tend to drive Si people bonkers.

And my highest are always Fi, Ni, and Fe.

Is there any chance I could be an INTJ? Ironically on the professional test, that's what I tested. It looks like the most clear thing that is always consistent is Introvert and Intuitive, F/T are pretty close, as well as P/J.

I fit the patterning for INTJ, INFJ, and INFP according to: http://jamesbkim.com/content/mbti-cognitive-functions

Last edited:
Hmm... interesting.

Well, I will say one thing, I know for a fact that my worst functions are Ti, Te, and Si. So thinking and sensing are the worst. I can see why the S would be bad, as I am absolutely AWFUL with attention to detail, and I HATE dealing with detail... the only time I don't mind it is when it's something, say a project of mine... a personal project, and I want it to be successful. I tend to drive Si people bonkers.

And my highest are always Fi, Ni, and Fe.

Is there any chance I could be an INTJ? Ironically on the professional test, that's what I tested. It looks like the most clear thing that is always consistent is Introvert and Intuitive, F/T are pretty close, as well as P/J.
I relate to what you say. Those are my weakest, too..
On other mbti tests I get INFJ, INFP, or INTJ.
But I'm sure I'm not INTJ because I'm motivated by feelings and the needs of others more than objectivity. I'm more interested in making sure everyone is ok and feeling good more than just efficiency.

I relate to what you say. Those are my weakest, too..
On other mbti tests I get INFJ, INFP, or INTJ.
But I'm sure I'm not INTJ because I'm motivated by feelings and the needs of others more than objectivity. I'm more interested in making sure everyone is ok and feeling good more than just efficiency.

Hmm... yeah. Did you ever think you were those other types that you tested? I am tired of not knowing my type, and quite honestly I don't know why it matters so much... I tried explaining it on another thread saying how I want to be a part of something because I've never felt a part "of." ACOA (Adult Children of Alcoholics) is the only group I've honestly ever felt a part of... and it's important for me to feel a part of. All of my life I've felt on the outside, looking in... and I'm tired of it. It hurts. I have pain. My heart hurts. I want to fit in. Yet, ironically, I also want to stand out.

To say the least, it's important for me to know my type so that I can have something to identify with so that I can be around others with shared values.

This is interesting. I've always had an 'outsider looking in' mentality. I don't feel I belong anywhere, either. I've always had friends and supportive family, but I still feel that way. I suppose my feelings of alienation could come from disagreeing with the way the world is run from an early age, and resenting being forced to conform to it if I am to be 'successful'. Despite feeling alienated, I really like people, though.

I long to feel connection with people, yet, like you say, I want to maintain my own individuality and freedom of thought.

Anyway, as far as thinking I was either INFJ or INTJ. Yeah, I thought I was INFJ when I first joined this board. After posting here for awhile, I realized I did not really click with INFJs.

I think I test INFJ when I answer questions according to how I think I should be; organized, punctual, structured.

I test INTJ when I answer the questions because I think I need to be more rational. It really depends on the situation I'm in when I take the test online. If something dramatic or sad is going on, I tend to answer as more of a realist to balance myself because I adopt a more objective thought process when bad things are occuring in order to remain stable and work the problem out.

I am sure I am an INFP, though. My Feeling and Thinking is usually 60%/40% on the test, so the two are well balanced. Maybe you are like that, too?

I think INFPs who have pretty balanced Thinking and Feeling sides tend to look like INFJs.

Last edited:
This is interesting. I've always had an 'outsider looking in' mentality. I don't feel I belong anywhere, either. I've always had friends and supportive family, but I still feel that way. I suppose my feelings of alienation could come from disagreeing with the way the world is run from an early age, and resenting being forced to conform to it if I am to be 'successful'. Despite feeling alienated, I really like people, though.

I long to feel connection with people, yet, like you say, I want to maintain my own individuality and freedom of thought.

Anyway, as far as thinking I was either INFJ or INTJ. Yeah, I thought I was INFJ when I first joined this board. After posting here for awhile, I realized I did not really click with INFJs.

I think I test INFJ when I answer questions according to how I think I should be; organized, punctual, structured.

I test INTJ when I answer the questions because I think I need to be more rational. It really depends on the situation I'm in when I take the test online. If something dramatic or sad is going on, I tend to answer as more of a realist to balance myself because I adopt a more objective thought process when bad things are occuring in order to remain stable and work the problem out.

I am sure I am an INFP, though. My Feeling and Thinking is usually 60%/40% on the test, so the two are well balanced. Maybe you are like that, too?

I think INFPs who have pretty balanced Thinking and Feeling sides tend to look like INFJs.

Yes, I am "like that too" :) 40/60. Yup yup. And yeah, this idea of how the world "should" be is annoying and makes me want to puke. Haha... seriously though... it's sad that there's so much capitalism that we can't even see straight. I pride myself on knowing who I am and being so self-aware; I guess other people do not share that point of view. Oh well.

Anyway, do you have aim or yahoo? Maybe we can chat more on there?

So a person that also shares an interest in the mbti suggested I look into INFP... I never really thought of myself as an INFP, but I don't want to rule it out... I could have sworn I'm an INFJ, and I still think I am, but I'd like to ponder the possibility of INFP for a few minutes...

I have read about INFP's and everything seems to fit except for the non-assertion and disorganization... I am most definitely NOT disorganized, and I am highly assertive.

This woman (An INFJ, although a good case can be made for her being a potential ENFP) said that I likely learned to be organized as a byproduct of my chaotic, dysfunctional home environment. She does have a point... otherwise, I could just naturally be an organizer. In other words, she said that I may have learned to organize to keep my mind off all the crazy, emotional stuff I was dealing w/in my environment. Regardless, I have continued to organize all of my life and actually take great pleasure in it. I have never heard of this being the case with INFP's...

INFP-wise I am very romantic though and care highly about aesthetic's. I will feel offset if things are not aethetically pleasing.

Help on differences between INFP's and INFJ's? Personal experience sharings? Opinions? Thanks!

I'm organized. I got sick of the hassle and worry when I couldn't find stuff.

It turns out I'm not INFP... interesting. I should have known; I never test it. The only reason I thought I may have been was b/c a few people who are familiar with the MBTI suggested it due to my "spiritual" (interests) nature.

Anyway, I took another official (paid) MBTI test and scored (this is the 3rd time) INTJ! It seems I always score INTJ on official tests and then INTJ/INFJ on unofficial online tests.

She's a qualified typer, and unless I am absolutely 100% sure about something, I will re-consider, or rather, consider, another's opinion. So to say the least, I figured I would read more about it. The reading; however, did not help and so I decided to consult.

But yeah... The 2nd session we had together (it wasn't strictly an MBTI session; I learned in the session however that she was MBTI certified :)), she claimed that I'm either INFJ or INFP and stated she's undecided. She claimed to see more of the "J" the 2nd time... she said I was very timely (early, as usual) and that my organization and need-- 'drive,' rather for closure was very J; however some things (such as my resistance to imposed structure) was very P.

It's a tough call. I am pretty stubborn though and very odd, too... very quirky ;)

My INFP boyfriend and I are both very quarky, too. But more when we're together than alone. I am more about people and socializing and he would prefer to be alone (I think because people have hurt him and don't understand him), however he is quite adaptable and can talk, talk, talk when it strikes him to be sociable and for business purposes. However, as far as making deadlines, arriving on time, etc. I am the constant voice to him that we are late, "hurry up...etc." Though when pushed, he gets even more stubborn than he already is.

We are both very creative people. He is an "idea" person and people we know, personal and business, always comment on his creative ideas. Mind you, his ideas are not off the wall, out there in outer space. All his ideas are very grounded in reality as he prides himself of being a "realist." I think he has had to become more of a "realist" because of his childhood and various life experiences. But he is also quite disorganized outwardly, but keeps everything in his head quite organized. He's constantly "thinking" and analyzing. Whereas I am the "doer." Though, I am interested in "ideas" I want to take action and am not happy if standing in one place for too long without a solution to a problem.