INFJ And Nihilistic Suicide | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ And Nihilistic Suicide

it's all in your head. Find something that brings you meaning and value. You will be at peace. Despair for me is a strong emotion that needs to be put in check. There are times I don't givea shit that is when I can sink into the dark side. It is a very difficult thing to deal with at times. Good friends have helped me a lot over the years because you can be honest with them and they will listen to your woe's.

I have always been a little too sensitive and that can also make you feel like you have no self worth. And it's a lonely place to be at times and it feels like the world cannot possibly understand you. That's when my friends and this place can come in handy. Seeing others suffer like I have let's us know we are not alone and that brings me a sense of peace. Life gives us the oppurtunity we just have to take it..

Some interesting posts folks.........
I've been down this road many years ago......it was only when I hit my 40's that I began to experience a real sense of peace.....it's a cliché- but it is the 'journey' the 'quest' many of us feel that we are on that keeps us going....and of course the endless possibilities of a life less ordinary...

^^THIS.

I think many young INFJs can wander aimlessly without purpose or plan, or they've chosen to deviate from their true purpose in life. If you can answer the question, "what was I born to do?", then nihilistic thinking tends to take a back seat.

The problem is, sometimes it takes half a lifetime to understand that question - which is why older INFJs, IMO, tend to be more optimistic and less pessimistic.

All this is coming from my own mind, so I suspect there are exceptions. But my belief is, if you really know what you're put on this earth to do, you'll be much happier in the long run - but only you can figure out what the purpose is.

What's wrong with Nihilism? As long as you care about yourself you can still have an adventure and give to the community.

What's wrong with Nihilism? As long as you care about yourself you can still have an adventure and give to the community.
heh, that's why you're an NT :smile:

I didn't want to do anything, I just wanted to sleep forever. The issue for me was that I WANTED to stop caring, to actually be nhilistic, and just go on. But I found myself dwelling over the same system of events again and again, caring too much about it and beating myself up. Very INFJ.

So I'm not the only one that does that... (this is why I like this place)
Sometimes I wish I could just not care, and then my mind goes back and I can't turn it off. Which is why at times I've claimed to hate people. I actually don't but sometimes I hate the fact that people in general can help to put me in a place like that, where I want to stop caring, and turn blank, but I find myself unable to.

But it's not really nihilism if you care about yourself and want to have an adventure. It's more of an existentialist position, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say INFJs would be prone to nihilism because of their ability to see things from a lot of different angles, resulting in a lack of definitiveness in their perception of the world in its globality. INFPs for example would have very strong beliefs they go for, and would go through a very hard time when something shatters them, but INFJs are less likely to take such a strong position, and so might end up feeling like they cannot just force a meaning on their life, even though they long for one.

Holy cow does that ever sound familiar. I do! I long for one! Gimme!

I definitely have a tendency towards nihilistic thinking. Sometimes, when everything seems dark and painful I have thought about suicide. But I don't think I would ever do it. I figure it's like this: I have already not existed forever (before I was born) and I will againg not exist forever (after I die), so why not enjoy this brief queer interruption from nothingness as long as it lasts?

I dunno, "enjoy?" I have some dark moments too, and they usually arise out of long stretches of non-enjoyment, and I can't just flip the "enjoy" switch on and change my attitude. My suicide reasoning is the opposite, too. I believe in reincarnation, so my thinking goes like: I've already been through this before. I'm going to go through it again. So if things are so shitty this time around, why not just start over? Reboot, if you will, and hope things get better the next time.

The problem is, according to my understanding of how reincarnation works, there are levels and rules and stuff, and just the fact that your soul is inhabiting a human body right now means you've already gone through a lot of ladder climbing to get to this privileged position. Suicide would set you back a rung or two. Since the ultimate goal is to get to the top of the ladder and be able to stay "home" with the universe and not get sent back here for another round (ahh, ultimate pain relief through nothingness, how sweet that will be), suicide is really counter-productive in the long run, even though it seems like an attractive shortcut.

I've been down this road many years ago......it was only when I hit my 40's that I began to experience a real sense of peace.....

I'll be hanging on to these words for the next few years with white knuckles. Seriously.

I dunno, "enjoy?" I have some dark moments too, and they usually arise out of long stretches of non-enjoyment, and I can't just flip the "enjoy" switch on and change my attitude. My suicide reasoning is the opposite, too. I believe in reincarnation, so my thinking goes like: I've already been through this before. I'm going to go through it again. So if things are so shitty this time around, why not just start over? Reboot, if you will, and hope things get better the next time.

The problem is, according to my understanding of how reincarnation works, there are levels and rules and stuff, and just the fact that your soul is inhabiting a human body right now means you've already gone through a lot of ladder climbing to get to this privileged position. Suicide would set you back a rung or two. Since the ultimate goal is to get to the top of the ladder and be able to stay "home" with the universe and not get sent back here for another round (ahh, ultimate pain relief through nothingness, how sweet that will be), suicide is really counter-productive in the long run, even though it seems like an attractive shortcut.

Well, my "enjoy" comes from my world view, obviously. I just try to take things as they are without prejudice, as experiences. I don't see any basis for belief in reincarnation.