I'm thinking of becoming religious | INFJ Forum

I'm thinking of becoming religious

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Quinlan, Oct 7, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
More threads by Quinlan
  1. Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    It just sounds great, you can believe whatever you want (without any rational justification) just because it makes you feel better. You can have an explanation for anything you encounter, no more uncertainty! You can even have an imaginary friend and be comforted by the thought of immortality, you get to moralise about people without reason.

    I'm an independent fellow so I think I'm gunna go with my own new religion. I think for me polythheism is the way to go, because it's like candy, what could be better than one candy? Two candies (or even more)! So the same goes for gods, therefore in my religion there are many different gods. There are good gods and bad gods but the good gods are slightly more powerful than the bad so in the long run things usually turn out good.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    NeverAmI likes this.
  2. slant

    slant Ruboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    334
    Messages:
    10,329
    Featured Threads:
    40
    Likes Received:
    16,602
    Trophy Points:
    1,751
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    I dare you to post this on the intp forum.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    The gods tell me that would be unwise.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mjgjr706

    mjgjr706 Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    XNTP
    So your point is not going to be to find truth but instead to believe anything?...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Puck

    Puck Perilous Pixie
    Donor

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
    Threads:
    33
    Messages:
    2,142
    Likes Received:
    461
    Trophy Points:
    215
    MBTI:
    Hey Ho
    Enneagram:
    flibble
    Polytheism is fun. Let us know how your religion develops.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Soulful

    Soulful life is good

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Threads:
    249
    Messages:
    5,014
    Likes Received:
    713
    Trophy Points:
    245
    MBTI:
    That does sound great! why not?

    Except moralising about people without religion, that screams egotism or arrogance to me.

    What does it truly matter what your beliefs are or what they are founded on, if your life translates into something worthwhile for yourself and this world? Especially if these beliefs are the source of that.

    And nice, Slant :)
     
    #6 Soulful, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  7. OP
    Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Truth is just a matter of perspective.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Bored Now

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Threads:
    14
    Messages:
    1,773
    Likes Received:
    151
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    *blows kiss*
    Just be a Gnostic. Its fun!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Soulful

    Soulful life is good

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Threads:
    249
    Messages:
    5,014
    Likes Received:
    713
    Trophy Points:
    245
    MBTI:
    Indeed
     
  10. OP
    Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    I mean, where is the value for me of pursuing some objective truth that may or may not exist? I'm not even that logical.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Faye

    Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    Threads:
    311
    Messages:
    7,279
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    4,620
    Trophy Points:
    892
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Gridania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Its been done. It is called eclectic paganism.
     
  12. Tamagochi

    Tamagochi Sushi Destroyer
    Donor

    Joined:
    May 18, 2009
    Threads:
    15
    Messages:
    922
    Likes Received:
    367
    Trophy Points:
    622
    Location:
    Lithuania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
  13. NaeturVindur

    NaeturVindur Cuddlemaster
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2008
    Threads:
    86
    Messages:
    3,686
    Likes Received:
    265
    Trophy Points:
    641
    MBTI:
    iNfj
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    WOOT eclectic paganism!! Welcome to team Fluffy Bunny.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. OP
    Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Cool.

    But the gods tell me it's my own religion and that calling it eclectic paganism is blasphemy.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Duty

    Duty Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2008
    Threads:
    30
    Messages:
    1,069
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    119
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Truth may be hard to find, but is giving up the search really the noble or even healthy thing to do?
     
  16. OP
    Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Why is the search for objective truth noble (morally good)?

    Perhaps being at ease and comfortable is healthier than being forever on edge and uncertain?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Duty

    Duty Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2008
    Threads:
    30
    Messages:
    1,069
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    119
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Psychological Reasons

    When you stop the search for truth, all you're doing is making yourself comfortable with your present worldview. Your understanding of yourself and your world stagnates and confines itself. By definition, personal development and even social progress come through change. As a person you have to constantly change and evolve to be better. The worst you can do is try to make your world a constant "same" as that, by definition implies not changing and therefore not growing.

    Now, it is still possible to be forced to grow, but you have no concern or control over the direction or speed of that growth if you don't attempt to realize truth for what it is. When you realize truth, you are free to make profound realizations about yourself and the world. You are free to synthesize your learning experiences...with a river of new information always incoming. Stopping the flow of learning brings that river down to a drip...and your mind has little material to draw new realizations from.

    Plus, comfort itself retards growth. Growth happens when you're in discomfort...when you're pushing outside your box. So, not only is the flow of information stopping, but your box becomes narrow and confining. The mind must have freedom and some discomfort in order to expand.

    Social Reasons

    If you have a bunch of people running around saying that their own subjective worldview is correct, then you get, well...just look at the middle ages. There are plenty of examples of this. If there is an objective truth, I think the vast majority of people would be totally on board with it. The problem is that people don't agree on how objective truth is obtained...not if we should believe it or not.

    Science itself is something most everyone believes in. Superstition is something that most everyone believes is to be avoided. Science is good, superstition is bad. What people don't agree on is what is superstition and what is science. The distinction is where the disagreement lies.

    So objective truth is a potential uniting force...maybe the strongest there is. Seems like nothing brings people together then overcoming a common challenge...and the best way to conquer a problem is to know the facts...you can't have a deliberate solution without knowing the facts.

    Philosophical Reasons

    Plus, at worst you can only honestly doubt the existence of objective truth, but not deny it completely. If you say, "Objective truth does not exist," then you're trying to introduce an objective fact: that objective truths don't exist. You're contradicting yourself.

    Although it's not absolutely certain that there is any sort of abundance of objective truth, it most certain is out there. At least, it's objective to the point that our minds would find it absolutely impossible to comprehend anything at all without believing some axioms...all of those axioms being those of logic or mathematics. Such simplicities as "anything is itself" and "something exists" seem so beyond doubt that you reach the land of complete absurdity to deny them. They prove that at least some objective truth exists. If you want a classic example, look no further then Descartes: "I think, therefore I am." In the very attempt to deny that you think or that you exist, you must think in order to come up with a denial. And to think, one must exist at least somewhere.


    So in conclusion, I posit for you that the search for truth is a psychologically healthy one as it is vital to the growth process. Further, I assert that there are at least some objective, undeniable truths. To say, "all truth is subjective" or some variation of such is just...well...objectively wrong!
     
    #17 Duty, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    ]L%;Zwnj and Rudy like this.
  18. Billy

    Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Threads:
    95
    Messages:
    4,826
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,250
    Trophy Points:
    381
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    ....
    I would follow Aries the God of War if I could...
     
  19. NaeturVindur

    NaeturVindur Cuddlemaster
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2008
    Threads:
    86
    Messages:
    3,686
    Likes Received:
    265
    Trophy Points:
    641
    MBTI:
    iNfj
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Why can't you? i follow Brighid and Cernunnos, whats stopping you from going helenic?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. OP
    Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Great post Duty, but I'm still confused about the link between growth and the search for truth. How do you define personal growth? I know I could sure do with some spiritual growth and sticking rigidly to what can be proven (proof is still only a best guess isn't it?) seems like a limiting factor on any other kind of growth.

    So if we accept there is some objective truth out there, the perception of and the meaning ascribed to that truth will always be subjective to some extent won't it?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page