I'm thinking of becoming religious | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

I'm thinking of becoming religious

Q, you gotta become religious! It gets so boring here without religious fundies! I mean...I got the anarcho capitalists to play with, but that gets boring after awhile.

Great post Duty, but I'm still confused about the link between growth and the search for truth. How do you define personal growth? I know I could sure do with some spiritual growth and sticking rigidly to what can be proven (proof is still only a best guess isn't it?) seems like a limiting factor on any other kind of growth.

Well, personal growth requires a lot of subjective understanding of yourself...but those can still be called truths. Stopping the search for them just to waste away in your prison of "comfort" just stagnates you. There is still a huge difference between just calling anything you wish "truth" and saying "well, it's subjective so I can believe it" versus finding yourself...finding truths about your own person and then finding the ways to overcome the challenges in the way of your development. Truths that are true to your personality and your growth are subjective, but they're a far cry from just calling anything you want a "subjective truth."

Discovering these truths about yourself (which does incorporate a lot of finding objective truth about the world...you have to understand the world in order to improve yourself in it) allows you the information to correct and improve yourself: which is what personal development is about.

Basically what I'm saying is to observe yourself. It's not a perfectly scientific process, but searching for ways to grow should never be abandoned.

So if we accept there is some objective truth out there, the perception of and the meaning ascribed to that truth will always be subjective to some extent won't it?

Anyone can put little meaning into an objective truth and deny the truth accordingly, it doesn't mean the truth becomes subjective...it just means that the person is wrong. "Importance" and "meaning" are subjective concepts in themselves, but they can't invalidate that which is objective truth. You can say "'A thing is always itself' is a meaningless statement," but that doesn't mean the statement isn't true.

Last edited:
Q, you gotta become religious! It gets so boring here without religious fundies! I mean...I got the anarcho capitalists to play with, but that gets boring after awhile.

I don't even know what the fundamentals of my religion are yet, I'll get back to ya. :D

I don't even know what the fundamentals of my religion are yet, I'll get back to ya. :D

I think making up your own religion is a great idea.
Every religion that exists was made up by someone anyway.

Key words - made up

you should become a christian, you'll actually get results

Many gods > One god

The gods have spoken.

these events are terrible and forever apart of the christian history, and non of these things are acceptable in Christian doctrine.

better examples of results of the christian faith:

civil rights movement,

the united states (partially)

salvation

the American deep south

you

love your qoute

:m173: I beg to differ. I was born and raised christian. I converted to Wicca. I'm been getting very consistent "results" now, and I wasn't then. I'm not saying that you CAN'T get results from christianity, I'm just saying not everyone does. I fell that each person has a path to follow that is there own, and that may be similar to another's, or it may be completely different.
Bhagavad Gita said:
What ever path a person travels to me is my path...All paths lead to me.

these events are terrible and forever apart of the christian history, and non of these things are acceptable in Christian doctrine.

civil rights movement,

salvation

the American deep south

you

love your quote
hey satya! found one for ya!

civil rights movement,

Do you suppose non-Christians might also object to racial segregation and taxation without representation?

Dude, it doesn't matter. Just make sure it establishes itself as the divine, absolute truth without any way to prove or disprove it and that something bad will happen if you don't believe it. Once those credentials are met, you have the perfect memetic control mechanism and it can spread through the masses like a virus.

Also important, make sure that any historical bad example is defined as "not true to my religions doctrine" and only good historical examples are defined as "true to my religious doctrine". That way your religion can never do wrong and you can pretend that you aren't infected with confirmation bias.

Last edited:
If truth is perspective then lies are as well... In that event my ex girlfriend didnt realize that I was actually telling the truth when I told her that her sister was not hotter than she was... Her perspective was just off somewhat... :mjedivr:

If I could recommend a religion to base it on?

islam_results.PNG