If you were falsely accused of plagiarism, how would you react? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

If you were falsely accused of plagiarism, how would you react?

I will not get shocked, i will take everything with calm mind. First i will try to catch the person who made this situation. I will go to court for justice. i believe in myself and people will believe me. People will support. My true fans will support me. Because they know i am true and had never tried to copy any paintings. My paintings comes from my heart. They are not copied and cannot copy anyone.

If there are few people to trust my true art, it is enough. I will regain everything, my showroom and my paintings gallery. I think, it is secured by public's support and love.:D

I would be crushed.

Being wrongly accused of a crime is my worst nightmare (besides natural disasters).

Lawyers fluster me to no end (except for Atticus Finch, I loves him). I dislike that they use pathos and trap you into things that are not your intentions at all. Of course they want to win the case. I don't blame them. But man oh man.

Besides being very annoyed, I'd probably higher a lawyer and plead my case as an honest person.

I would hire a new layer for one thing and state the differences of style in Monets works call the person an idiot

I have once been asked to prove someone that my own report is original.

How can someone prove his original work as genuine?

I don't have cd-keys to cross-check my reports.

I would feel hurt at the fact anyone would think I could be capible of such disrespect, then I would do everything I could to problem solve.

I'd be very angry too, I'm sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would gather evidence of the person's intent to blackmail me and then use it to defuse the situation.

Helen Keller was accused of plagiarism when she was a child. She accidentally plagiarized a story that she heard. She had trouble distinguishing her own imagination from stories she had read or had read to her.

Mark Twain and Alexander Graham Bell came to her defense. They said that it is really easy to unconsciously plagiarize.

Years later Mark Twain wrote to Helen Kellar about the incident. He said that any great orator only adds the tiniest fraction, I think he used 5 percent, to any of this speeches. The rest of the speech was from 10,000 other men (I know he said men and not people that was the time).

He said that once he realized that he plagiarized someone when he was speaking. When he talked to that person he was like "I am sorry I stole that from you. Who did you steal it from?"

Now that is not to say that there is no original thoughts. We would never have innovation or move forward technologically if there was not. If there was never an original thought we would still be living in caves, lol.

I think that when we read and take in information it becomes ingrained so over time we have all of this knowledge but it is hard to differentiate.

In a way isn't learning a form of plagiarism? When we learn we are not inventing the information we are taking in information from other sources and using it.

Helen Keller was accused of plagiarism when she was a child. She accidentally plagiarized a story that she heard. She had trouble distinguishing her own imagination from stories she had read or had read to her.

Mark Twain and Alexander Graham Bell came to her defense. They said that it is really easy to unconsciously plagiarize.

Years later Mark Twain wrote to Helen Kellar about the incident. He said that any great orator only adds the tiniest fraction, I think he used 5 percent, to any of this speeches. The rest of the speech was from 10,000 other men (I know he said men and not people that was the time).

He said that once he realized that he plagiarized someone when he was speaking. When he talked to that person he was like "I am sorry I stole that from you. Who did you steal it from?"

Now that is not to say that there is no original thoughts. We would never have innovation or move forward technologically if there was not. If there was never an original thought we would still be living in caves, lol.

I think that when we read and take in information it becomes ingrained so over time we have all of this knowledge but it is hard to differentiate.

In a way isn't learning a form of plagiarism? When we learn we are not inventing the information we are taking in information from other sources and using it.

That's all pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing it. I also agree with your last sentence about learning and innovation.

I wonder though, how would you personally respond, if you wrote a novel and then someone came and took full credit for it? As in, conscious plagiarism?

There is a good quote that is something like: "If your idea is truly original, you do not need to worry about it being stolen. You will have to shove it down people's throats."

Reactions: bamf
That's all pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing it. I also agree with your last sentence about learning and innovation.

I wonder though, how would you personally respond, if you wrote a novel and then someone came and took full credit for it? As in, conscious plagiarism?

Personally, I know I would never do such a thing. Anyone who knows me also know that I would never do this consciously.

I would meet with the person. I would calmly listen to their reasons. I would take their 'evidence' away and review it. Then I would ask to meet with them again in order to discuss it.

What is said after this depends on what they say. Are they talking about idea's or about specific language usage. I would go meet with them with all of my notes and drafts to show them how the story developed.

I would know exactly what to do if it happened to me.
And I would do it as nobody had ever done it before.
But until it does, I could not say what I would do.

If you want to see what God looks like when he laughs:
Tell him your plans.

Imagine you're a world famous landscape artist. You've created hundreds of beautiful paintings and displayed them in galleries all over the world. Some of them you've sold for tens of thousands of dollars. You're doing good, very happy, everything seems to be going great, but then one day, while in your studio creating your latest masterpiece, you get a letter informing you that your gallery is to be shut down. Apparently one of the gallery patrons believes your work is copied from old, unseen Monet works. You know this to be untrue, yet the accusation alone is enough to destroy your entire career. The patron in question is an unscrupulous type of character, and is willing to take a bribe of, say, $10000 in order to keep his mouth shut and for your gallery to remain open. You remain defiant, yet your lawyer advises you to pay up, as even though you are innocent, because if word got out that your works are not originals, their market value will drop substantially.
You hang your head in your hands and lament your fate. What to do? What's the right thing to do in this situation?

Hire a media-advisor to implement this plan:

1. The accusation must make the headlines (not the second page).
2. Experts be interviewed by talk-shows to examine the claim that my works are actually comparable to Monet's work. I'd bribe the experts to entertain the possibility.
3. Turn the common opinion of the media towards thinking I have actually plagerized Monet's works.
4. Expose the blackmailer.

The effect of this, woud be instant international fame and critical applaud - which would probably quadruple the price of my works.

Last edited:
In junior high I actually was falsely accused of plagiarism. My teacher did not believe that I was capable of writing well because I slacked off hardcore in their class LOL. So I had my Accelerated English teacher explain some things to them and I dug up my sources and all that jazz. It was a pain. Don't let people push you around! Even if it's an authority of some sort.

So to answer your question; I would not give them the bribe. Fuck that. They would get a shit-storm of counter-suits from me.

Edit: And also, depending on how far fetched their claims were I would probably do all within my power to humiliate them and their retarded immediate family for living with such a wretched creature.

why should their family be punished? thats kind of an asshole move

I'll explain to the press that originality doesn't exist, and all artists basically sell what's around them anyway, while distorting it a little, to call it theirs. And moreover, that in this process very often minds develop to think alike. It happens so often, it shouldn't be surprising by now, it should be understood and accepted. We basically destroy a lot of human development because we bash repeating "someone else's" work unknowingly. The assumption is that people develop things in order to own them, when in fact they develop things for fun, and may repeat each other completely accidentally, by walking similar paths of thought.

I would say: "So Arch Enemy Morgiety, we meet again. Did you think I would be foolish enough to not keep your whereabouts known to me. While you were hatching your plot to paint fake Monet's and have them stored in your basement, I, in fact, am the anonymous agent who selected your forgerer from 'the best of the best'. He was instructed, for no small sum I assure you, to write the words, 'Ecton is innocent', in each of these supposed Monet's using invisible ink.

Inspector Grant, if you please..."

At that moment, Inspector Grant enters the room with a letter. "We searched his home and found his secret basement just where you said it would be, Ecton."

"Indeed," I remark, giving Margiety a hard glance. "Bring in the paintings you found in his basement." I take off my gloves, one finger at a time, and then proceed to take an black light from my carrying bag. Morgiety looks frantically at the policeman, who in turn whistles and waves his hand.

Two bobbies enter the room wheeling in a large open frame, on which is painted a swirl of dappled light colors in imitation of my great work, "In Front of the Old KMart: An experiment in special blue light." I hold up the ultraviolet lamp and begin scanning the picture.

Just then, the faintest of laughter begins to escalate, as I scan in vane for the print. "Ecton, did you really think Monet would ruin one of his paintings with your graffiti". Morgiety then breaks into a hysterical laugh, spit misting the air.

"Nonsense, Master Forger Snively, show me where you wrote your text."

The small wiry man looks meekly up at me and whispers, "But sir, I did not paint this, and if I must say, it does indeed look like an exquisite lost Monet!"

<To be continued>

Last edited:
Well if there are unseen monet paintings somewhere

1 either he claims he has them,
2 he claims I have them
3 or he keeps his mouth shut about where said paintings are

In scenarios 2 and 3 he cannot produce anything to substantiate his claim, so I would just expose his unscrupulous character and demonstrate he has no basis at all for his accusation.

If scenario 1 is the case he is likely to produce forgeries that are pretty obvious and he will be demonstrated a fraud quickly.

Nothing really to worry about.

I had a similar thing happen to me in college. The person accusing me had schizophrenia but was the daughter of someone important, so it got a little complicated until the professor's dug into it and realized how far she had lost it.

I have to disagree with ENFP. We have enough trouble getting students to think for themselves these days. The last thing we need to do is complete the automated robot circuit. That's my personal opinion.

I think being accused of plagerising a great master like Monet would be a big compliment.