Idealism & Perfectionism In The INFJ | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Idealism & Perfectionism In The INFJ

so..... Idealistic Pragmatist? Or pragmatic idealist?

Kinda maybe...

Freedom for me, from an unhealthy kind of perfectionism, comes from understanding the process of progress. But I am still very much an Idealist. :}

Last edited:
This might help.

These where taken from Wikipedia.org and work fine for what I'm talking about...

Idealism or Idealist, in common use, is used to describe a person having high ideals, sometimes with the connotation that those ideals are unrealisable or at odds with "practical" life. The word "ideal" is commonly used as an adjective to designate qualities of perfection, desirability, and excellence.

Perfectionism, in psychology is a belief that perfection can and should be attained.

Hmm. Pardon the abstract analogy, but that sounds a lot like

My idealism should be completely erased by now but it keeps on kicking. My need for perfectionism is a pretty major theme in my life.

Idealism or Idealist, in common use, is used to describe a person having high ideals, sometimes with the connotation that those ideals are unrealisable or at odds with "practical" life. The word "ideal" is commonly used as an adjective to designate qualities of perfection, desirability, and excellence.

Perfectionism, in psychology is a belief that perfection can and should be attained.
Interesting, I have long described myself as a perfectionist. But after reflecting on these definitions, I realize somewhere along the line, I let the perfectionism go. However, I am still an idealist that holds myself to higher standards than I do those around me. As I have learned to cut myself some slack, I have become even more forgiving of others.

Nice topic.

I think I have more to do with idealism. I hopelessly assume the best about every single person I meet and it causes me a lot of discomfort time and again. I become alienated from people who disappoint me quite a lot not being the 'ideal' who I thought them to be. It's just not the same after that. And perhaps my perfectionism is most manifested in this: these 'ideals' have very high standards that almost all people fail to reach.

Meanwhile I know people are people (including me). They have their virtues but their vices as well. I need to take them as they come.