I need to hear from the females of this forum. | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

I need to hear from the females of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many women have turned you down or given you the cold shoulder? 2? 5? I've been rejected by MANY men, both in real life and online. I've had my heart broken COUNTLESS time. But I keep trying. It's called resilience. You have to be resilient if you want to find love in this day and age. You have to have some faith that not every girl you meet is going to act like so-and-so from your past. Move on. Get to know new people. Get out there and put yourself in different situations - join some clubs, take a dance class, do something!!

Patience, persistence, and perseverance are critical to finding love as well as success in other aspects of life. When I was a grad student years ago, I realized that I was lonely and decided I wanted to meet someone and get married. So, despite being a shy INTP and an extreme introvert, I forced myself (against my nature) to be more assertive and ask women out. I figured it was a numbers game. The more dates I had, the more likely I was to meet someone I'd be interested in. For a period of several months, I usually had two dates on a weekend, but sometimes three. A few women interested me (and I, them, I guess) for a few weeks, but afterwards, I'd continue my dating. Once I met the woman I ended up marrying, that was it. We've been happily together for 34 years now.

Maybe this is a crass comparison, but if you've ever done any marketing such as mailing brochures, you know that you test several different versions of the brochure sent with different cover letters and to different demographics. Sometimes one combination really clicks. So, in meeting people, sometimes it pays to try several significantly different strategies. Go to different places where you might meet someone, join different clubs (e.g., orienteering, cooking, book club, etc.), try wearing different outfits in different contexts. And, if one particular setting/situation seems clearly unpromising, drop it.

Look, each sex/gender has it's challenges. Life is hard for everyone, even those who seem to have it all. Jerks abound on both sides. You don't have to date to know this because you see it in the workplace and day-to-day commerce. But, there really are nice, if not perfect, people out there. INFJ's, in particular, shouldn't need to much time to know what a person is like. Once you figure out a person, know that what you see is what you get. That is, don't expect major personality or behavior changes to occur because of a relationship. But, once you find someone you really care for and who cares for you, you both have incentives to learn about each other, accommodate each other, and please each other. I am still learning about my wife after all this time, and I am still growing as a person. I am much more balanced than I've ever been and, compared to younger INTP's, I'm more sophisticated emotionally.

It's easy to grow bitter when one is lonely and has only dated immature, selfish jerks. But, no matter how many bad experiences one has, it only takes one good person to change everything. That person might be the next one you meet. Keep trying.

Which only serves to prove my point further as I'm not actually an asshole, nor am I acting like one right now.

I beg to differ. Your continued insistence that you're not an asshole, when I feel there's so much evidence to the contrary, is much like the nice guy who continues to insist that he's a nice guy instead of picking up on a woman's signals and leaving her alone. You apparently can't take no for an answer.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to agree with you on this one. Men are subject to mixed messages and conditioning, yes. But not nearly as much as women and girls are are from birth. There's a staggering difference and until men begin to respect and understand that, your argument will hold no water.

Is there any proof for this staggering difference?

Not feeling good enough for a decent man

There has been a lot of arguing going on here, but most of it has been impersonal, all theory and no concrete examples from your lives. I agree with thirtiesgirl, BUT, I also understand where the girl who made the original statement that women sometimes go for bad guys because they don't feel worthy is coming from. It can happen, even to strong women. Here is my very personal example, and I hope it doesn't bore you.

I have not been single for almost 25 years, so I hesitated to post, but from what I've seen in the young women in our family and families of friends, and in the media, the problem I want to talk about has gotten even worse since I was last single.

I agree with most of what thirtiesgirl said and thought she said it well. When I was single and never married, I had no problems with self-worth either. I was slim and very good looking, which helped. And,that is the problem. I have not heard it mentioned here, but it is a major problem that causes huge damage to self-worth: Fatness and imagined fatness. It was funny how the "great personality" I kept hearing guys mention when they approached me suddenly disappeared when I gained even a little extra weight.

Disclaimer: This may not be PC, but I don't give a damn about being PC. I have never yet met a man of color who wanted a pipe cleaner shaped woman. "Baby Got Back" was a hit for a reason. This obsession with skeletal thinness seems to me to be almost totally a white problem. I was thinner than Beyonce when my problems with men over my supposed weight problem started.

The problem with self-worth occurred during the 7 years I was a divorcee. I definitely had the problem of not feeling worthy of a good guy, just as Barnabus stated. I had gained enough to be 12 pounds overweight. Notice I said 12 pounds, not 100 lbs. The gain happened when I moved to Florida, where I could no longer walk to work, due to the humidity and heat, and so I gained about 15 lbs. almost immediately, once my five mile daily walk was gone. To make up for that, I took Jazzercise 2 nights a week and Dancercize 3 nights a week, followed every night by running a mile and doing 15 laps in the pool where I lived. No dice. The weight stayed on and was all in the right places, but Florida is like California, in that you must be pencil thin and people are more looks oriented by far than they are where I come from. I was well within the doctor's weight norms, but in our society, the bottom of the normal weight scale is about 20 pounds above what is considered acceptable now.

Girlfriends I made here told me I would be lucky to get any dates at all, and should be glad I could get a man, even a mooch or an alcoholic. I had a job where I never met anyone, and I don't drink and am allergic to smoke, so bars were not my scene. So, I went on lots of blind dates with men who were downright ugly, really fat or pencil thin, trying to cheat on someone, had dead end jobs that paid less than mine, did not have a college degree like I do, were not smart like me, smoked, which disgusts me and I am also allergic to it, and a couple did not even have a car! Back then you did not have eharmony or match.com. You had 3 lines in a special newspaper, and could not be specific enough to rule out all the duds. Many of these guys were not very nice either, and none were kind about my 12 pound "problem". Some were alcoholics or dry drunks. What I heard over and over again verbatim was: "If you'd lose ten pounds, you'd be perfect, but we'll have to be just friends because of your extra weight". I was always nice and never pointed out any of the many flaws that had already disqualified them in my eyes.

You bet I started to feel unworthy. Nobody seemed to see any of my good attributes. I was also furious because I was not really fat. I began to feel intense emotional pain for the women who were truly fat, and I figured with the hell I was being put through, they literally had no chance of ever making anyone see their great inner beauty and all they had to offer. How must it feel for a 175 lb. woman to be rejected as too fat by a 250 lb. man? I saw this and still see this over and over and it makes my blood boil.

Thanks to the progression of a serious illness which affects metabolism, I am now one of those people who is truly fat, but I eventually (it took six years of looking) found a really good man, who was realistic about his own looks and who wanted some very specific things he was having trouble finding in a woman, but found in me, and who also wanted something other than a pencil woman (he likes big breasts and knows the real ones don't come on pencil bodies).

I do not think this is as big a problem everywhere. While I was divorced and looking, a male friend from back home in Wisconsin visited me and was appalled at the guy I was dating at the time, pointing out that I would not have given him the time of day back home. When I explained this obsession with weight here in Florida, he told me to save money, quit my job, come home for a couple months, during which time I could easily find a great guy, and convince him to move to Florida. (I should mention that I have to live in a hot place due to a serious health problem, otherwise I would still be in Wisconsin).

I have a niece here in Florida who is very pretty, but she is 20 lbs. overweight. It is all proportional, but though she's had many dates and relationships, not one has ever been white. When I asked why, she said it is because of her weight. She works out at a gym 6 days a week and does the best she can. Luckily, she does not care what color a man is and neither do her parents.

I overheard the son of our best friends, who is otherwise a great guy, telling his girlfriend that if she ever gained any weight, they were through. This girl is at least 20 lbs. underweight and has NO breasts. To stay that way, she eats next to nothing, and I have never seen her eat any protein at all. Her bones are going to be breaking before she is 35 at this rate.

I think it takes great strength to keep your self esteem, when surrounded by a peer group and media all telling you that you have a characteristic, no matter what it is, that makes you unlovable. I was a strong person, but I became much too influenced by the crowd I was hanging out with, and it took me four years and meeting my present husband to break the spell and go back to believing in myself. I also ditched all but one of those "friends" as well and made new ones who had less shallow values.

klutzo

Last edited:
Reactions: WellNoWonder
[mods]Ok folks, it looks like feelings are starting to run high here. Try and keep it cool. Let's keep this discussion on track and civil. No ad homimn attacks, and keep respect in mind. Carry on.[/mods]

I beg to differ. Your continued insistence that you're not an asshole, when I feel there's so much evidence to the contrary, is much like the nice guy who continues to insist that he's a nice guy instead of picking up on a woman's signals and leaving her alone. You apparently can't take no for an answer.

Clearly you form the camp of women who shout out "rapist!" every time a guy asks her what time it is. Well sorry to burst your little bubble of self flattery but I'm in no way interested in you at all. In fact I'd say it's probably the other way around as you initiated this conversation with me, all I've done is respond. Perhaps you need to pick up on my signals a little better.

Gosh, this thread got a lot scarier than I think it was supposed to be.

Let's face it, love is rough on both sides. There are a lot of assholes in general, too, and those tend to be the ones that get all the attention.

But I still like to think there's some room for optimism...

Clearly you form the camp of women who shout out "rapist!" every time a guy asks her what time it is.

Yes, you know me so well.

Well sorry to burst your little bubble of self flattery but I'm in no way interested in you at all.

Whew. Looks like I dodged a bullet there.

In fact I'd say it's probably the other way around as you initiated this conversation with me, all I've done is respond. Perhaps you need to pick up on my signals a little better.

I picked up on your signal loudly and clearly. You made a sweeping generalization that "all women are attracted to assholes." Several times, in fact. Not just once. I dared to you test me. So far you've only bored me by your typical responses, like a frat boy who got turned down by the hottie at the Phi Kappa Delta party and now thinks the women of the world owe him something.

How do you, at age 23, know what kinds of men "all women" are attracted to? Have you been with all women, and are you "all men" to them? I believe I'm in the right when I say the answers to these questions would be you don't know, no, and no.

Get some experience of the world, hon, before you go spouting generalizations about "all women."

[mods]folks, lets keep the jabs to a minimum, if this keeps up I will be forced to close this thread[/mods]

Yes, you know me so well.

Whew. Looks like I dodged a bullet there.

I picked up on your signal loudly and clearly. You made a sweeping generalization that "all women are attracted to assholes." Several times, in fact. Not just once. I dared to you test me. So far you've only bored me by your typical responses, like a frat boy who got turned down by the hottie at the Phi Kappa Delta party and now thinks the women of the world owe him something.

How do you, at age 23, know what kinds of men "all women" are attracted to? Have you been with all women, and are you "all men" to them? I believe I'm in the right when I say the answers to these questions would be you don't know, no, and no.

Get some experience of the world, hon, before you go spouting generalizations about "all women."

I said "asshole-ism is sexy", not "all women are attracted to assholes". Of course a sweeping statement like that is open to interpretation, and Peppermint got it spot on.

Also just because you dared me to test you doesn't automatically mean that I ever picked up on your offer. In fact I've read about 2% of your posts and already get the feeling that you're the type of person I like to avoid.

I do however find it amusing that because I claim that being an asshole makes a guy sexy that you assume I am a said asshole. My experience however comes from the other side of the camp.

, so I think you can clearly see the difference between "all men are rapists" and "all men are potential rapists." That word potential is pretty powerful and has a lot of meaning.

While I do agree with you that the word "potential" has a lot of meaning, from what I can discern it was misused. Potential typically stipulates a capacity to do so, not just physical but psychological as well. A rapist is one who feels no empathy for their victim and feeds off of the helplessness of another. Using the word "potential" here implies that all males have the lack of empathy and the unhealthy need for dominance required to be rapists; something which is not true. Further more there are physically weak males, there are those who are disabled- such as the case with paraplegia-, et cetera and thus even in terms of physical capacity it is not absolute; hence using the words "all" and "potential" here can be considered invalid for the meaning- if I have understood the statement correctly- which the statement may have been intended to deliver

Yes, Chaz is certainly no asshole.

Also, I can agree with whats said in most people's posts, but I think we've gotten to where we've stopped reading people's posts and just go onto what we feel a burning angry need to say.

I know I was angry at the initial answers to the initial question, (that if a women has ever had any "bad" boyfriends its merely a reflection of NOT inexperience, but of being a person of poor worth and character, which I scoff at) but I think we're all angry at something OOT now.

Maybe we should find where that started and split topics?

I said "asshole-ism is sexy", not "all women are attracted to assholes". Of course a sweeping statement like that is open to interpretation, and Peppermint got it spot on.

One and the same, hon, one and the same.

Also just because you dared me to test you doesn't automatically mean that I ever picked up on your offer. In fact I've read about 2% of your posts and already get the feeling that you're the type of person I like to avoid.

And you've been avoiding me splendidly in this thread.

I do however find it amusing that because I claim that being an asshole makes a guy sexy that you assume I am a said asshole. My experience however comes from the other side of the camp.

Look, I'm trying to abide by the mod's decree and not continue this argument with you, but you seem to not care what they've requested, much as you don't seem to care that making sweeping generalizations about women is not a good thing to do. I don't assume you're an asshole because you claim women find asshole guys sexy. I assume it because you continue to make sweeping generalizations about women, clearly don't respect our feelings and don't take what we have to say at face value.

Status
Not open for further replies.