Hurricane Harvey affects Texas | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Hurricane Harvey affects Texas

Just texted a good friend of mine, and he sent me this message in return:

"Not he best. My car is probably done for or has couple thousand in damage both my parents mercs are dead. And basement and room above are flooded. You?"

My place is chilling. I still have internet, power, water, etc. He and anyone else for that matter are welcomed at my place.

Seems there.are at least a few people on the forum who live in or close to the affected area. I am interested to know what type of government and state presence you see even if you don't have need of it.

It's good information I think for everyone to have.

You don't have to report if you do not want but I think it would be helpful for Americans to have a better understanding of the presence the government would and will have in natural disasters going forward.

Reactions: Free and James
Anything really. If you see a helicopter, water or food being passed out. Recovery efforts, news reporting or a shelter that's been setup or being setup....

Reactions: Free and James
@Vigilance - Thanks for the update. I was worrying about you.
@Wyote - I know you're not there right now, but keep us updated on your loved ones and your place. Thanks for the link!

@Vigilance - Thanks for the update. I was worrying about you.
@Wyote - I know you're not there right now, but keep us updated on your loved ones and your place. Thanks for the link!

Thank you for your good-faith concern of I and other members. It is well-appreciated in the most well-regards of manners, for in a time where appreciation is accepted and much needed the most.

:tonguewink:

-Vigilance

Reactions: Free and Asa
ABC News anchor reports on Houston flood survivors stealing food, directly to police

Sean O'Neal

Today 1:18pm

uveazbi7k86e9hh1fi2d.jpg

Tom Llamas, tireless chronicler of the human condition. (Photo: Gary Gershoff/Getty Images)

The situation in Houston remains dire, as dams begin overflowing with rains that have already wrought catastrophic damage and swept away thousands of homes, leaving the city’s residents trapped with limited recourse for shelter and no hope for evacuation. Fortunately, a brave journalist like ABC World News Tonight anchor Tom Llamas is entrenched right there on the scene, bearing witness to the many desperate people who are reduced to stealing food from supermarkets, and ensuring their stories get told directly to the cops.

Llamas, who has previously won awards for his coverage of Hurricanes Sandy and Irene, is clearly no stranger to the devastation they can cause or the frenzy they can set off in those who are just struggling to survive within them. But then, he’s also not about to let some people just make off with bread or whatever before it can become waterlogged garbage—not without making a purchase. So when Llamas tweeted he was “witnessing looting right now at a large supermarket in the NE part of Houston,” adding that police were on the scene after having “just discovered a body nearby,” he did his civic duty and immediately informed the police of another dying thing that needed their attention: the public’s respect for corporate property.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We informed police of the looting and Coast Guard is flying overhead,” Llamas brayed proudly. “Multiple officers now on the scene.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Still, not everyone appreciated Llamas moving so swiftly to rescue a corporation from not having an accurate inventory for future insurance claims.

In fact, some people have reminded Llamas that the Society of Professional Journalistscalls for reporters to “show compassion for those who may be affected adversely by news coverage”—or just regular human compassion. Others have pointed out that Llamas was openly admitting to diverting first responder resources, which might otherwise be used for rescuing people stranded in their homes, to making sure no one takes soon-to-be-rotting food. Some have suggested that, in the wake of local authorities declaring that anyone caught looting will face mandatory jail time, disaster victims who are forced to undertake extreme measures to secure survival supplies were essentially being sentenced thanks to nothing more than his own moral grandstanding.

After the backlash, Llamas attempted to “clear this up”—deleting his original tweet, and clarifying that some of the people who had entered the supermarket to steal food amid the worst natural disaster to ever hit Texas had their “faces covered,” presumably to avoid identification by the media and police.

ADVERTISEMENT

In light of Llamas’ clarification, some have also recommended Tom Llamas wade right into that supermarket, find the largest extant pineapple, and go fuck himself with it—but only after paying for it.

Anyway, be sure to follow Tom Llamas for more hard-hitting investigative stories about people fighting for their lives and where the police can arrest them.

Pretty much what you expect from a news outlet like ABC.

Reactions: Free
Pictures I took from my dashboard this morning as I headed out to buy a few groceries near downtown Houston. There was a 1 1/2 hour wait time just to get into a local grocery store... the line extended all the way to Payless. Only 20-24 people were permitted to enter every 15 miniutes.

You already know I left and did not wait in line. Lol.

IMG_6223.JPG

IMG_6224.JPG

Pictures I took from my dashboard this morning as I headed out to buy a few groceries near downtown Houston. There was a 1 1/2 hour wait time just to get into a local grocery store... the line extended all the way to Payless. Only 20-24 people were permitted to enter every 15 miniutes.

You already know I left and did not wait in line. Lol.

View attachment 37068

View attachment 37069
Do you think about driving well outside town and to the north?

There was a 1 1/2 hour wait time just to get into a local grocery store.
I'm with you - I would not wait, but those poor parents with little ones they have to feed! :(

The situation with the chemical plants (possibly exploding due to lack of refrigeration of dangerous chemicals) is very scary!

Do you think about driving well outside town and to the north?

What do you mean? Do you mean going a little bit North from Houston to a different city nearby or so to buy groceries?

Other than that I mean I do I drive up North to Dallas from time-to-time as well as Oklahoma to just hang out and go to resorts. I recently started going to Arkansas from time-to-time as well, which is a bit North East, however.

Glad I am not in Houston anymore.

The office I used to work at and probably both of the apartments I used to live in are all underwater. On facebook, I see tons of crazy videos and posts from people I know there.

Last edited:
What do you mean? Do you mean going a little bit North from Houston to a different city nearby or so to buy groceries?

Other than that I mean I do I drive up North to Dallas from time-to-time as well as Oklahoma to just hang out and go to resorts. I recently started going to Arkansas from time-to-time as well, which is a bit North East, however.
Yes. That's exactly what I mean.

Glad I am not in Houston anymore.

The office I used to work at and probably both of the apartments I used to live in are all underwater. On facebook, I see tons of crazy videos and posts from people I know there.

Good for you. It's over now in the vicinity of Houston and nearby cities, so I am glad. A lot of people decided to evacuate the city and nearby cities, situated by the Gulf. I made a prediction, based upon where I live that such would be uncessary. Hence, ultimately, such was, indeed, uncessary.

Yes. That's exactly what I mean.

Many roads were blocked and due to the unpredictable and unprecedented inclination that was to be set forth, and all the while trusting the 'so-called,' news, I, likewise, made a prediction that such an adventure on such a beautiful sunny, perfect day could be potentially hazardous. Being trapped and then being 'boated-out' in the middle of an interstate by your friendly, happy, and oh so ever hard-working Coast Guards was likely called or uncalled for by following such a tangent of an idea, I, too, once charbroiled in my mind before being intoxicated the night before. Ultimately, I decided it would not be safe, dismissing the thought, completely.

Last edited:
Interesting tidbit about Houston: the city was built in such a way that the main highway areas serve as a sort of channel for any flood waters, so damage to commercial and residential areas is minimized.

My sister lives at the old place in my grandparents property. My parents built a house nearby. In this photo my sister is kayaking over to our old house to check on the open back door. Those neighbors evacuated days before and my sister is keeping an eye on things.
The water got up to within 4 inches of coming in to her home.
She has a generator tied in to the natural gas system of that town....so she's got power.
I had power for most of the event. Only lost it for about 5 hours (got a throw up migraine during that time....sheesh...That was hard with no lights)
But then it came on and stayed on...until last night. About 50k people lost power because a main station was overloaded and then failed causing 6 substations to fail. Power was out across 10 counties.
Anyway... the flooding is beyond anything any of us have ever seen....and we've gone through two previous Hurricanes: Rita in 2005 and Ike in 2008.
I feel like a Disaster expert. Hah!

Finally the power came back on an hour ago. Woot! I'm ready for a good nights sleep. This is stressful ya'll....

Sorry.... I forgot. I can't upload images because the Adobe Flash plugin has crashed. Firefox. Meh.