How would you live if you were immortal? | INFJ Forum

How would you live if you were immortal?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How would you live if you were immortal? Goals, plans? Where would you go, what would you do?

How would you approach love, life and relationships?

Reactions: Questingpoet
Awesome question. Assuming my immortality was merely a freeze in aging (i.e. can still get killed by mortal wounds) I would be much more concerned with learning abilities like martial arts or practical skills so that I'd have those stored for later. I'd be much less concerned with "getting my life right" so to speak.

Goals? I'd probably be interested in developing biotechnology in the hopes that we could eventually build reconstructions and attachments to enhance human functioning. I would also take things much slower, and probably attempt to experience deeper spiritual experiences through meditation and mindfulness too. Immortality gives me time to see things through, and time to waste. That's the crucial difference.

I believe I would go through phases. I don't think I could be in the same place, the same culture, the same life-style forever.
I imagine I would develop passions and hobbies and pursue those until I felt as though there was nothing more for me with them and then shift my focus to something else.

I would definitely start with mastering Russian and immersing myself in the history and culture but I'm not sure where I would go from there. I really love the galaxy andromeda and wallpaper.

I'd live by the ocean for a while, study everything i've ever wanted to study, travel the world - Greece, Rome, rest of Europe, Middle East, and then settle in the UK.

I am not entirely sure, but I believe there would be sparkles. :D

having all the time in the world to do everything might just paralyze me into doing nothing. after all, what incentive would there be to take action NOW, if i was going to live forever? there'd always be another opportunity. on the other hand, since time would be endless and death an impossibility, i might just take the opposite approach and plunge headfirst into all those activities i was too frightened to attempt before, like climbing a skyscraper, or diving into a shallow stream full of piranhas, just to see what it was like. after the first hundred millenia though, when the novelty wore off, i'd imagine it would get quite blase. especially if i was alone in my immortality.

this is a really interesting question actually. the value of immortality would probably be completely different if it was a rarity, if it was yours alone, as opposed to if it was something everyone was given, by birthright. ignoring the problem of overpopulation and an eventual crippling lack of resources, being alive forever on earth with other people who are also alive forever might just silence a lot of the worries that typically consume us in everyday life, such as the desire to build a (singular) career. if you were alive forever, you'd have time to develop all your skills to the level of perfection... making gods of all of us?:m075:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
i wouldn't want to be immortal. Not on earth anyway.

I'm only sure I won't be using it "optimally", but who cares? Our strive for optimizing time comes from our life length limitation. The first thing that comes to my head is just going down "in a cave" (not literally), and playing and recording music for years and years, until I'm "done". By the way, I'm automatically assuming I won't be the only immortal one, and anyone will have this option available, if they want it. Otherwise I'm afraid I won't be comfortable until I make it so.

Reactions: under skies
having all the time in the world to do everything might just paralyze me into doing nothing. after all, what incentive would there be to take action NOW, if i was going to live forever? there'd always be another opportunity. on the other hand, since time would be endless and death an impossibility, i might just take the opposite approach and plunge headfirst into all those activities i was too frightened to attempt before, like climbing a skyscraper, or diving into a shallow stream full of piranhas, just to see what it was like. after the first hundred millenia though, when the novelty wore off, i'd imagine it would get quite blase. especially if i was alone in my immorality.

That's interesting.. I think it would have the opposite effect on me (to my surprise). I can't imagine being alone in my immortality. :( That kind of isolation would be my personal hell.

--
It would depend on how I would live that immortality. Would it be in phases? Would I be ageless? Would I experience some of the slowing-down that can happen late in life?

I wouldn't want to live indefinitely in the world that currently is, but would evolution (natural evolution as well as our species' and humanity's evolution) accompany our immortality? Could we be considered immortal if we were continually evolving? Does a jarring shift in consciousness thwart the concept of immortality?

Last edited:
If I can't die, I'd swim to the bottom of the ocean, catch a ride on a ocean current and ride it around the world.

But mostly, I'd live slowly. I have all the time in the world, no need to rush anything.

having all the time in the world to do everything might just paralyze me into doing nothing. after all, what incentive would there be to take action NOW, if i was going to live forever? there'd always be another opportunity. on the other hand, since time would be endless and death an impossibility, i might just take the opposite approach and plunge headfirst into all those activities i was too frightened to attempt before, like climbing a skyscraper, or diving into a shallow stream full of piranhas, just to see what it was like. after the first hundred millenia though, when the novelty wore off, i'd imagine it would get quite blase. especially if i was alone in my immorality.

this is a really interesting question actually. the value of immorality would probably be completely different if it was a rarity, if it was yours alone, as opposed to if it was something everyone was given, by birthright. ignoring the problem of overpopulation and an eventual crippling lack of resources, being alive forever on earth with other people who are also alive forever might just silence a lot of the worries that typically consume us in everyday life, such as the desire to build a (singular) career. if you were alive forever, you'd have time to develop all your skills to the level of perfection... making gods of all of us?:m075:

Oh, and if the immortality were complete (i.e. invincible) I'd do the above, including the likely paralysis of doing absolutely nothing.

Reactions: TinyBubbles
I'd probably cry. Having no "time-limit" would make everything pretty meaningless to me.

After I have explored the world to my satisfaction, I would have myself hooked up to some sort of super-long-term anasthetic delivery device and go to sleep for 100 years.

After my 100 year slumber, I would emerge to explore the world anew, before a century of hibernation again.

I just thought of a new thing, get a sail boat and let the wind carry me wherever God wants to take me, live my ministry where I land until I'm no longer needed and set sail again.

I'd also get see who is correct, post or pre-tribulationists

If I were forced to be immortal in human form (because I would chose to die given the option), I would...

1) Try to conquer the Earth at least once, peacefully of course.
2) Buy lots of real estate and rent it out, so I can pay taxes on it while the land values appreciate.
3) Amass a fortune and become a professional stock trader for at least 100 years; at the end of which time I would either be broke or the richest man alive.
4) Travel the world once every 100 years for approximately 5 to 10 years. After which time, I would co-author a book, discussing my travels. (Pay someone to do the tedious writing, basically.)
5) Every century, depending on the wealth in excess I had accumulated, I would donate it to charitable organizations.
6) Every 500 to 1,000 years, I would give away most of my wealth, if not all of it, and start from scratch. (Except for my tropical island with a mansion and beautiful women.)
7) I would have kids at least once and raise them. I would likely help out their descendants if they needed it.
8) After becoming supreme emperor of the world (peacefully), I would reign for 500 to 1,000 years (if possible) and then abolish my government to see what would happen. Though, it would likely take 1,000 or so years to see my plan to fruition. Peacefully conquering Earth would require something akin to a cult, it's likely not possible to do while maintaining any semblance of morality.
9) I would volunteer to be sent as an astronaught to visit places like Mars and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. So long as there was an agreement to retrieve me should I get stranded, as I would not die from space exposure.
10) I would begin an extensive database project, to begin with, located in space. A historical archive, should disaster strike humanity, much of what was could be preserved and later accessed by me to redistribute to humanity after the dark ages were over.
11) I would have a laboratory on the moon and a backup laboratory on Mars, with a special space-craft to reach it, should humanity fail and much of life perish. I would use my laboratory to assist the process of recreating intelligent life on Earth; perhaps reintroducing humanity if I thought it wise.
12) When sufficient technology was available, I would construct a massive space station manned by AI servants. I would have another laboratory there, with space-craft.
13) When Earth's intelligent life had surpassed me to the point it was totally alien to my understanding and I was no longer of any use to humanity (or whatever), I would ask for their most advanced dimensional transport technology and go about exploring the universe(s) alone, or with an accompaniment of humans created from my era; perhaps we would find other primitive life to covertly assist.

Last edited:
I'd probably be more relaxed. I'd think "yeah whatever, I don't care, I'm living forever!"

It would be an absolute torture...

:m068:

Last edited:
First off I would feel much more at ease with my self, and second I would learn a lot. Languages, physics, history, and culture notably. I'd try to get a bunch of doctoral degrees because that's just how I roll. Then I'd travel the world and see lots of different places.

Relationships would be very sad on my end if everyone else is mortal and I'm not. But I'd still keep my good friends close as long as they're alive, and eventually make new ones out of unfortunate necessity.

Hmm, most likely traveling / nomadic. Most likely, I'll study lots of things; arts, language, philosophies, science, mechanics, etc. :p
Then looking for complete self-sufficiency. Somewhere to live in peace.

Interesting; will look for it more. Which is..ironic.

Last edited:
I would just start walking places. I'd probably live on one place for awhile and then move on to some place different. I dont think I would ever leave North America except to only visit the East and Europe and eventually parts of Africa. I cant say I would do much different though. I am doing what I want right now.

I would always be fearful of being framed for a crime and getting life sentences and such.