How strong is your will power? | INFJ Forum

How strong is your will power?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
It amazes me how difficult it is to make a decision and not stick to it. I hate this. I know these decisions are the right ones but i almost always go back on my word, knowing that consequences will follow when i don't stick with the decisions i made. I almost always suffer the emotional consequences of not following through, even if no other consequences are felt.

So, how strong is your will power?

Last edited:
I have always felt that I lacked control in life over my external world, truthfully however I had will power in spades. I can put myself through anything.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I have always felt that I lacked control in life over my external world, truthfully however I had will power in spades. I can put myself through anything.

Wanna lend me some? :D

i'm not good at follow through either, though if the issue is important to me i'll certainly make a concerted effort!

i'm not good at follow through either, though if the issue is important to me i'll certainly make a concerted effort!

Yeah, it's like you know you have the desire to get it done, but yet there's always something in the way - in my case, i'm always allowing a feeling, concern, worry fear, anxiety, to hold me back.

So, now i'm trying to figure out how to snap out of it . . . I always feel an enormous amount of guilt or shame in the end for not following through.

Last edited:
Throughout my life I've had to fight the "P" part of my personality. It's a continuous effort because things always need to be done and completed. In work this hasn't been a problem because my training and experience as a professional engineer have always trumped personality weaknesses. If a project has to be finished, there's too much at stake to fail. Adrenaline is a marvelous motivator. OTOH, implementing personal plans and goals are much harder for me. One book that has really helped is Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen. It has really had a very positive effect on my life. I highly recommend it for anyone regardless of personality type.

Reactions: Gaze
Too strong. Usually bordering on obstinacy.

But thing is, there's a tendency of mine to keep it inside, to not do anything fulfilling that willpower...and thus the willpower swirls around in circles, bordering into self-loathing, eternal annoyance, and depression....

...kinda silly.

But once I'm going through...it's going to take a long time for it to slow down. Oh; thing is, when it does, it's usually in the process of doing it, so.......yeah. Sharp drop of performance.

@Norton: Thanks! Going to look at the book xD

Last edited:
GreenLanternRing-GreenMetalglowarou.jpg

Wrote the book.

For me it depends on whether I see what I am doing as worthwhile. If so, I envision the completed product and continually experience it and the feeling I have as it is complete, that keeps me focused. (I would also like to recommend a book if anyone is interested, The Ant and the Elephant).

i just do little bits at a time and don't expect too much of myself and more seems to happen than yes/no all/nothing commitments.

Good strategy. This works too.

What is willpower?

What is willpower?

That which allowed you the abilities to be on top of that mountain is a good reply I think.
A bright young lady I know called it determination.
Myself? I call it simply a decision.

Last edited:
Procrastination/laziness/whatever else you are talking about- these are evolutionary mechanisms that prevent us from putting forth unnecessary effort. Some goes for food but it isn't about effort and is more complicated. I tell myself to do things all the time that I never do, and if I did everything that I told myself to do, I'd probably just die of exhaustion.

What is willpower?
//stuffs face with cookie
Yes, what is this willpower you speak of?

Truthfully, if its doing something just for me I have little to no willpower, but if its for someone else (making a big dinner) I will always do my best to get it done. Laziness is my gift to myself XD.

Reactions: Lucifer
Procrastination/laziness/whatever else you are talking about- these are evolutionary mechanisms that prevent us from putting forth unnecessary effort...

This is a great point.

The human body is adapted to conserve energy. That's why you only develop the muscles you need for the life you live. For example, bodybuilding is a way of forcing (fooling) the body to maintain bulky, high energy expending muscles by exercising with heavy weights. Muscle hypertrophy is the way the body adapts to the high resistance exercise of weight lifting. If you sit on your butt all day, your butt also adapts by getting bigger, but not in the way you'd like.

I had a large amount of willpower in younger years ... particularly in my teens and 20's. I managed to accomplish just about everything I set my mind to ... a tough military academy, paratrooper training, marrying the "girl of my dreams", a successful career, fighting in a war, and some others. Then it all seemed to unravel. The marriage was a sham, the career was a facade, I never used my paratrooper training, and the war was a big eye opener. Well, at least the academy was worthwhile. I began to consider how little influence I really had on life and how maleable reality is. I discovered that sometimes the optimal solution is to exert less willpower for a more stable or equitable existence. Nowadays my will power is more situational. If I feel it is worthwhile, I will pursue it ... but gone are the days of blind idealism. I've also found that the people in your life can be more important than some arbitrary goal.

Edit: I've read that NTs tend to develop a min/max perspective to life. Minimum effort for maximum results. Perhaps that translates into my present paradigm. I've also tended to value knowledge acquisition more the older I become, rather than concrete accomplishment.

Last edited:
When I see something as an objective, or as something that needs to be accomplished, almost nothing can prevent me from achieving it... even if I want to leave something aside, I'll keep working on it almost subconsciously.

The only way I can drop an objective is to do some mental gymnastics and convince myself that it is not actually a desirable outcome.

I had a large amount of willpower in younger years ... particularly in my teens and 20's. I managed to accomplish just about everything I set my mind to ... a tough military academy, paratrooper training, marrying the "girl of my dreams", a successful career, fighting in a war, and some others. Then it all seemed to unravel. The marriage was a sham, the career was a facade, I never used my paratrooper training, and the war was a big eye opener. Well, at least the academy was worthwhile. I began to consider how little influence I really had on life and how maleable reality is. I discovered that sometimes the optimal solution is to exert less willpower for a more stable or equitable existence. Nowadays my will power is more situational. If I feel it is worthwhile, I will pursue it ... but gone are the days of blind idealism. I've also found that the people in your life can be more important than some arbitrary goal.

Edit: I've read that NTs tend to develop a min/max perspective to life. Minimum effort for maximum results. Perhaps that translates into my present paradigm. I've also tended to value knowledge acquisition more the older I become, rather than concrete accomplishment.

So, it seems to me that what you're saying is it takes a lot of willpower to go against one's nature.

I've found that using willpower to go against my nature is necessary sometimes, such as when I have to give a talk in front of people. I think, when necessary (i.e., the gain is worth the pain), it's important to step outside one's comfort zone from time to time. But, continually living outside one's comfort zone is destructive.